Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 19-07-2006, 01:25 AM   #1
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Default Savage Garden

Yes music lovers it seems that Darren Hayes the lead singer from the former group Savage Garden has done the Elton and married a bloke in London today.

By Jonathon Moran, AAP Entertainment Writer

July 18, 2006 12:00

Article from: Font size: + -
Send this article: Print Email
AUSTRALIAN singer Darren Hayes has married his male partner of two years in a civil service in the United Kingdom.

In a personal message posted on his official website, the former Savage Garden frontman confirmed he had married his British partner Richard Cullen.

"I very rarely make comments about my private life,'' the singer said.

"On June 19th, 2006, I married my boyfriend of two years, Richard, in a Starwars themed wedding, dressed as storm troopers in London. I can honestly say it was the happiest day of my life; except when the preacher replaced 'dearly beloved' with 'queerly beloved'. I guess he was just nervous''

Hayes has been based in the UK for a number of years and earlier this month returned to Australia for a one-off concert at the Sydney Opera House, where he was spotted wearing a wedding ring.

Cullen is believed to have travelled with the singer on that trip.

Hayes was previously married to university sweetheart and Australian Idol winner Casey Donovan. "She was the reason I am who I am" lamented Hayes as he recalled years of Cherry Ripe wrappers and cigarette butts stuffed between the cushions of their couch. "I spent so much time cleaning the cushions of the couch one day I just had to take a bite of one; I've been biting ever since" quips an enthusiastic Hayes.

The couple separated in 1999 after four years of marriage and have remained close friends.

"I'm proud of who I am, and after what felt like an eternity, I'm finally in a place where my heart is secure and content,'' said Hayes.

"And I can finally make sense of all of the searching.''

Hayes has been asked about his sexuality since splitting with his wife but has, until now, remained tight lipped. (now that won't be a problem apparently)

Hayes today thanked his family, friends and fans for their support.

"To my mum, dad, sister and brother - thanks for always being so cool and loving me unconditionally,'' he said.

"To the people who buy my records, come to my shows and demonstrate on a daily basis their love and support for me and what I do: thank you.

"Your overwhelming message to me lately seems to be that you are just glad that I am happy. For this, I am eternally grateful.''

The British government this year introduced the Civil Partnership Act, allowing same sex couples to marry in the UK.

In Australia, however, the federal government has opposed same-sex marriage and quashed ACT legislation allowing homosexuals to create civil unions.

"I feel lucky to live in an era where my relationship can be considered legally legitimate and I commend the UK government for embracing this very basic civil liberty,'' said Hayes.

Savage Garden broke up in 2001 after five years together.

Hayes and group co-founder Daniel Jones had two internationally successful albums - Savage Garden and Affirmation - selling more than 20 million copies worldwide.

Their biggest hits included Truly Lubed and Deeply, I Blew and Loved You, The Animal Lover's Song and I Want Your Splooge.

After Savage Garden, Hayes reinvented himself, turning to less commercial solo music at the risk of alienating some of his fans.

He has since released two solo albums - Spin and The Tension and the Spark - and has almost finished a third.

Last week, it was announced that Hayes had parted cheeks with his Australian label, Sony BMG, but they sent him a big pink teddy bear wearing a big pink teddy as a farewell and get lost gift.

Wishing Darren all the successes and apologies for the rather childish editing from the daily telegraph.

Quote: