Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-06-2006, 12:13 AM   #1
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default ADSL Problem

Hey guys,
I've done a search on line filters and haven't come up with anything so I decided to try asking you guys.

Before the plan change my ADSL was working fine, but now after I changed it from 1500 down to 512, I can't connect; the connection status keeps changing from Yellow (No Signal) to Training then to Green (Working), it'll stay Green for exactly 4 seconds then go out again.

The only way I can connect to the net again is to take the phone off the "hook" and leave it on the kitchen counter.

I've rung the company and their incrediably American sounding staff told me that it was a line filter problem. Could it be? I have two wall sockets; one in the kitchen and one next to my computer and one phone line.

Any help?

Thanks!

-Helder

xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 12:21 AM   #2
Dezza
Parts bin special

Do you have a line filter for your phone in the kitchen? With ADSL, you are meant to have a filter for every phone socket that gets used.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 12:22 AM   #3
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^ I think so, but the staff there told me to grab another wall mount one.
Old 17-06-2006, 12:30 AM   #4
Dezza
Parts bin special

Before you buy a new line filter, you could try and borrow one off a friend or something. My guess it that probably would be the problem. Your current one may be dodgy. I wouldn't expect them to be incredibly expensive. Easy to swap as well. They just go between the phone socket and the phone!

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 12:46 AM   #5
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

on a line dedicated to the internet ie study room , do u have to use the filter?
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 01:09 AM   #6
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

For a dedicated adsl line you won't need a filter.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 01:18 AM   #7
ziggee

if you have two phones sharing the same line you'll need one, go to jaycar cost $19 or something
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 01:24 AM   #8
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah, yup it's two sockets sharing one line. Before this whole problem started, when somebody would ring, my ADSL would suddenly d/ced too.
Old 17-06-2006, 01:27 AM   #9
ziggee

yeah get a filter it will solve it I promise ;)
Old 17-06-2006, 01:41 AM   #10
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah!
Thanks ziggee! Is there any specific line filter I have to get?
Old 17-06-2006, 02:03 AM   #11
ziggee

nah anyone should be fine I think there is a few kinds... with different sockets so just grab the one that you need.. its been awhile since I got mine... so umm

heres mine! ;)

Old 17-06-2006, 03:34 AM   #12
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

I work at the moment doing tech support for ADSL.

Whenever you have this sort of dropout issue, especially when it is affected by when you are on the phone as you describe it is a filtering issue. My list of questions go something like.

1) How long is the telephone cable between the modem and wall - over 3 metres can cause a dropout fault dut to the signal breaking down and also the copper used in cheapy phone cables is crap.

2) How many phone devices do you have on the same phone number as your adsl service. Each phone device requires a filter. All phones needs to be plugged into the local phone hole or similar on the filter. The modem goes in the adsl modem hole or similar.

3) Do you have foxtel digital or a back to base security alarm. Foxtel has a phone cable connection for ordering movies and will need a filter. Alot of people dont think of this one. And a back to base alarm will be hooked into the phone lines and will require filtering. If you have one, you may need to talk to your isp about getting a central filter installed to your home for this.

If all of this has been checked and there is still an issue, try disconnecting all you phone lines from the sockets and plug the modem direct to the phone socket. IE, not throuhgany filter and with nothing else plugged in. Power cycle the modem and see if your connection stays solid. If it does it indicates there is an issue with the filters and you will need to replace one or more. If its still dropping out then you know what you removed is not the cause and you will need to ring your isp and they will escallate it to check if there is a fault on their end or at the exchange etc.

With what you have said it sounds like a faulty filter or cable. It certainly wont be caused by a plan change though.

Good luck!

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Black XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 04:51 AM   #13
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah! The lady at the technical support asked me the same thing (:

1. The cable's roughly about 1metre.
2. I have 2 sockets; 1 in the kitchen and another next to my computer.
3. Nope, no foxtel (:

Oh and for additional information; I've uninstalled and reinstalled the modem drivers, right now I'm online by taking the handset off the phone.
Old 17-06-2006, 11:31 AM   #14
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

the best tech site I know of.. that in australia(lol) is.... www.whirlpool.net.au .. great site for broadband discussion and help... you also have ISP Representatives... from each ISP.... there is normal on average 5 .. to each isp... but anyway... if you're with Bigpond, don't worry about trying to get help from a rep there.. they will take 2 weeks to get back to you as they have to go through 'management' or whatever, to make sure what they say is appropriate...

good luck with your problem though.
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 11:42 AM   #15
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

[QUOTE=xurbanx]Ah! The lady at the technical support asked me the same thing (:

Quote:
Filters *must* be used.
Ziggee's post shows a typical inline ADSL filter. This link below is another type, "600 Series" - the phone plugs into it as does the ADSL modem.
http://www.techbuy.com.au/product.as...d=MODEMS_CABLE
(Dick Smith/Tandy lovenest charge $24.95 for the same item).

IF a particular socket is *only* used with an ADSL modem, this socket is not to be filtered. Remaining phone sockets are to be so filtered, per Ziggy example.

Quote:
3. Nope, no foxtel (:
* Sad face for having no Foxtel?? More to life than just Foxtel/Austar.
ˆhttp://www.selecttv.com.au/
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2006, 11:46 AM   #16
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
Do you have a line filter for your phone in the kitchen? With ADSL, you are meant to have a filter for every phone socket that gets used.
Hmm, I have a filter on the (main) phone socket in the kitchen for our handsfree phones, but the extension line for the PC has no filter and never has, no problems here...well, not since I fitted the filter the RIGHT way around anyway
Old 17-06-2006, 11:52 AM   #17
BlackLS

Definatly a filter problem, too bad your not close by I have 100s of these sitting around here.
Old 17-06-2006, 12:52 PM   #18
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xurbanx
Ah! The lady at the technical support asked me the same thing (:

3. Nope, no foxtel (:

Oh and for additional information; I've uninstalled and reinstalled the modem drivers, right now I'm online by taking the handset off the phone.
Yeah, but you need to try it without any phones plugged in at all and only with the phone cable from the modem to the wall socket in. IE, no filters used at all. If your connection remains solid, its filters.

But as I said, it will almost definately be filters as you have to leave the phone off the hook to get online.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 17-06-2006, 12:56 PM   #19
Black XR6
Formerly Black EX-R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Hmm, I have a filter on the (main) phone socket in the kitchen for our handsfree phones, but the extension line for the PC has no filter and never has, no problems here...well, not since I fitted the filter the RIGHT way around anyway
If by that you mean you dont have a filter on the phone cable that goes to the modem, you dont need one. Only phones and devices using the phone line require one except the modem.

For those that dont know how it works.

When you had dial up you could not be on the phone at the same time as the net. That was because the internet and voice shared the same frequencies or band in the frequencies. With broadband your internet uses another band of frequency and your phones use its own section allowing both the internet and phones to work. Now filters are required to seperate the two signals and if one is faulty or they are missing you will have your phone and broadband getting mixed up which is why it works when the phone is off the hook etc.

Stinking, mongrel, dog.
Old 17-06-2006, 01:19 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black XR6
If by that you mean you dont have a filter on the phone cable that goes to the modem, you dont need one. Only phones and devices using the phone line require one except the modem.
Yep, I figured that out from the instructions, but the filter has to be fitted the correct way around, right? Not like I had it, back to front....duh!

As it happened my ISP (Exetel) techs sorted it over the phone.