Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 25-05-2006, 07:35 PM   #1
LTD351T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default bit of help about rim/tyre sizes?

I am curious about what the rules are on rim sizes, IE if I run 16" rims on front do I have to run 16" rims on back too?

I have an XE LTD and the front brakes are too big for 15" I have to run a 16" on the front.

My choice was 15x8 rear rim with 28x10.5 MT slick, and matching front runners but on 16x5 rims??

LTD351T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #2
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Cant find anything that mentions that in the ANDRA rule book,all it says is if you use crossply's on the rear you have crossply's on the front,so I'm thinking it would be ok.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 10:31 PM   #3
crispy79

should be fine a t/d runs a 16" rear and a 15" front just make sure front runners are speed rated, and if using slicks on rear then use a cross ply on front as they tend 2 wander about with slicks and using radial fronts make steering to direct

This argument that you are carrying on with is akin to shuffling deckcahirs on the Titanic.
crispy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 08:46 AM   #4
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the street its illegal to run different size rims and to run at a street meet you have to comply to those rule ( well most of them) so they might pick it up when you go through scrutineering. I know when I have my F/runners & slicks on they always check my tyres and rims.
Give it a go and see what happens, never have asked them how indepth they check your rims.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 02:36 PM   #5
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I scrutineer first then put the slicks on, just to make sure they dont look too hard at the tailshaft loop. Quite a few guys I know do this and run on radial fronts.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 06:30 PM   #6
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I run 15" rims with front runners and 16" rims with slicks on them. I'll be doing that till I kill the slicks. Then I'll get some 15" rims widened and go from there. Doing the reverse won't be an issue.

I've ran at Calder Park and Heathcote in this very trim many times.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2006, 10:10 PM   #7
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

I run std 17's front and 15 X7 rear with radial slicks....
You cannot run X ply slicks with radial fronts.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg drags 05.jpg (107.3 KB, 28 views)
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2006, 05:53 PM   #8
LTD351T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the the help, sounds like I can get away with it.
LTD351T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post