Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-05-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Default Question ?

Ok , You all know how the AU Parcel Shelf has the Weird Oval-Gone-Wrong shaped covers over the 5x7's , I Was Wondering how all of you have fitted 6x9's ?

Is there a Special Mould you can Buy as i have a good Pair of Kenwoods and i dont want to get rid of them !

Any Help would be apreciated as i want to put them in ASAP !

Cheers Daniel

PS I have Wooden Spacers and Plastic's Aswell :jab: :jab: :jab:

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 09:16 PM   #2
shepv8
V8's for ever

Im pretty sure strathfield sells a base mount to sit them on , but, for memory I think the speakers were going to sit up pretty high on the bases so I just bought 5 X 7's. They screwed straight in the original holes with even the factory screw holes lining up and the factory grills popped on straight over the top making the speakers look like original factory jobs.
I guess you may have to use the jigsaw if u want them to go in but even thinking about it makes me cringe.....
shepv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 09:23 PM   #3
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

if you cut the holes any bigger, your car will be a defect and will not be able to be insurured....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 09:36 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
if you cut the holes any bigger, your car will be a defect and will not be able to be insurured....
How does that work?

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
How does that work?

GK
Parcel shelf is considered "structural" and any changes need to be engineer approved.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2006, 09:39 PM   #6
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

havent cut any holes

hence why im interested in spacers , if all else fails ill sell the Kenwoods and ill have to buy some 5x7s

Old 23-05-2006, 09:58 PM   #7
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

your best bet is to buy 5X7's - getting raisers looks ugly and attracts unwanted attention. You could wire up 6X9's in the rear doors....

Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
Old 23-05-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
phildee

6x9's can be mounted under the shelf, see here
phildee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 02:30 PM   #9
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i have not tryed 6x9s, but i did actually manage to fit my kenwood 7x10's on top of the parcel shelf! i had to do some minor modification to the basket of the speakers though. they came with their own plasic spacers, but they are no where near as tall as the aftermarket spacers. i didnt screw into the metal, they are just screwed into the felt covered plasic parcel shelf top thing, but they dont seem to move at all, and there is minimal vibration. i will take a photo as soon as it comes back from the pannel shop!
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 04:19 PM   #10
sickxr
Ford POWER!

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildee
6x9's can be mounted under the shelf, see here
Yeah thats a pic of my setup. It was so easy to do, and you can still use the factory grills to give it the stock look.

sickxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 04:21 PM   #11
$AUDude
99' AU Falcon Forte

Yep, I have mine mounted under the shelf too. Does the job!
$AUDude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 06:02 PM   #12
StAndArdAU
Back in a Blue Oval

i had my shelf cut to put in the 6x9s and the grills. As if any one can tell the diff
Old 24-05-2006, 08:50 PM   #13
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

is it hard to mount from underneath ?? Anyone feel like doing it for some Kash ??

Old 24-05-2006, 09:02 PM   #14
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Look on Ebay. Spacers were for sale on there.
I made some out 19mm MDF. Just trace around the speaker, and you will need to trim the parcel shelf covering to suit.
Old 24-05-2006, 09:44 PM   #15
AU-MUSTD
Flat floor shifter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Parcel shelf is considered "structural" and any changes need to be engineer approved.

UMMMM woops too late for me!!!
AU-MUSTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2006, 09:47 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
i have not tryed 6x9s, but i did actually manage to fit my kenwood 7x10's on top of the parcel shelf! i had to do some minor modification to the basket of the speakers though. they came with their own plasic spacers, but they are no where near as tall as the aftermarket spacers. i didnt screw into the metal, they are just screwed into the felt covered plasic parcel shelf top thing, but they dont seem to move at all, and there is minimal vibration. i will take a photo as soon as it comes back from the pannel shop!
Every chance they will become airborne missiles in any sort of decent accident (at speed). But then, you probably won't be in any condition to care, I suppose.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 12:18 AM   #17
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

if they became airborn and hit and killed a passenger, you would have no leg to stand on....

Old 25-05-2006, 12:25 AM   #18
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
if they became airborn and hit and killed a passenger, you would have no leg to stand on....
Depends if they hit your leg before or after contact with the passenger. LOL. OK, sick joke.

Yes - what he said ^^^. You would/could be sued big time!
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 25-05-2006, 08:52 AM   #19
sickxr
Ford POWER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SR_AU
is it hard to mount from underneath ?? Anyone feel like doing it for some Kash ??
Only takes 2mins a side mate!

sickxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 03:29 PM   #20
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Depends if they hit your leg before or after contact with the passenger. LOL. OK, sick joke.

Yes - what he said ^^^. You would/could be sued big time!

yeah, well, most people know the risk they take by being my passanger, so their own fault!! :P

i only did it as a temp thing till i have enough cash to blow on a proper fitted system. I am going to get Alpine Type-R 5x7's all round and maybe a sub in the boot. I just couldnt live with the crappy paper ones it came with anymore.
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2006, 04:48 PM   #21
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicAU
yeah, well, most people know the risk they take by being my passanger, so their own fault!! :P

i only did it as a temp thing till i have enough cash to blow on a proper fitted system. I am going to get Alpine Type-R 5x7's all round and maybe a sub in the boot. I just couldnt live with the crappy paper ones it came with anymore.
Just get some longer self tapping scres that will bite into the metal of the parcel shelf and you should be fine. $2 worth of 2" screws could save you and your passengers a lot of potential pain.