Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 05:57 PM   #1
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Details firm on Ford’s Ranger PHEV

Copied from GoAuto

17 Sep 2024
By MATT BROGAN

Quote:
FORD revealed further specifications and technical details for the Ranger plug-in hybrid (PHEV) during the model’s public debut at the IAA Transport Show in Hannover, Germany overnight.

The electrified Ford Ranger combines a 2.3-litre turbocharged four-cylinder petrol engine with a 75kW electric motor and 11.8kWh (net) battery providing up to 45km of all-electric driving range plus up to 6.9kW of vehicle-to-load capacity for powering tools, appliances and camping equipment.

It is due in Aussie showrooms in early 2025 – and just months behind the BYD Shark plug-in hybrid ute and potentially around the same time as GWM’s just-confirmed Cannon Alpha PHEV.

Ford's claimed electric-only driving range for the Ranger PHEV is less than half that of the Chinese BYD and GWM offerings, which sacrifice payload for battery capacity.

Braked towing capacity remains unaltered from the rest of the Ranger line-up at 3500kg.

The Ranger sends drive from the petrol engine, electric motor or a combination of both through an advanced four-wheel drive system via Ford’s proven 10-speed automatic transmission.

A two-speed transfer case and a rear differential lock are provided for tough going, and the model offers familiar driver assistance modes from diesel variants. ...

“It can tackle tough terrain, tow a trailer with ease, be driven in town as an EV or, thanks to Pro Power Onboard be used as a mobile power plant when you’re off the grid.”
Rest of the article is here ...

https://www.goauto.com.au/future-mod...ev/2024-09-17/

Last edited by whynot; Yesterday at 05:58 PM. Reason: Trimmed excessive white space from quote for readability
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 06:05 PM   #2
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Default Re: Details firm on Ford’s Ranger PHEV

11.X kWh battery will probably get you about 30-40 kms in that size vehicle. Just wish they released a Lightning version already.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 06:35 PM   #3
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Looking forward to this thing, 2.3 Ecoboost + electric motor + vehicle to load out in the field,

Be handy to run power tools and things
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM   #4
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

What sort of price premium are we forecasting?
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 06:56 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
What sort of price premium are we forecasting?
I reckon povvo spec model will be base price + $20K for the hybrid,

The kind of thing which could get this over the line even with premium pricing is companies with ISO14001 obligations now having to address their impact on 'climate change'.

I'm keen on fuel efficiency figures in tow tests and general driving.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; Yesterday at 07:02 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM   #6
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post
11.X kWh battery will probably get you about 30-40 kms in that size vehicle. Just wish they released a Lightning version already.
Yeah, I think that is a realistic estimate for range in typical city commute. If one can recharge at work, it makes an attractive fuelling proposition. (It is amazing the number of utes that sit in city office car parks during the day.)

I would love to see the PHEV do a tow test through a hilly area, just to see how the ecoboost and battery split the workload.

I also wish Ford would release an Everest PHEV. It would be an awesome camping vehicle.

Depending on the number of PHEV sold, it might take pressure off the demand for the V6. In turn, free up the supply chain somewhat. (But that might just be wishful thinking ...)
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 07:14 PM   #7
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Yeah, I think that is a realistic estimate for range in typical city commute. If one can recharge at work, it makes an attractive fuelling proposition. (It is amazing the number of utes that sit in city office car parks during the day.)

I would love to see the PHEV do a tow test through a hilly area, just to see how the ecoboost and battery split the workload.

I also wish Ford would release an Everest PHEV. It would be an awesome camping vehicle.

Depending on the number of PHEV sold, it might take pressure off the demand for the V6. In turn, free up the supply chain somewhat. (But that might just be wishful thinking ...)
True, that would cool to see an Everest version.

Be interesting if the system can supply energy to the batteries so it can work as a series hybrid under load. Would hurt economy but the extra torque of the electric motor would be worth it when towing.

That said, it would be interesting to see how anaemic the car feels being driven in EV only mode.
Old Yesterday, 07:42 PM   #8
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So, some more pluses and minuses ...

Fully imported from South Africa, so subject to additional import tariff.

(If I understand this correctly), it also qualifies for FBT rebate as a PHEV.

Some nice cutaways of how the EV component fits in. Interesting in how the battery pack is so far back. I wonder how much that detracts from yaw stability on the limit?

https://youtu.be/kgL_fiH3nEA?si=ZDZaQGgnDiqQTW4G

Last edited by whynot; Yesterday at 07:54 PM. Reason: tyring to fix YouTube link
Old Yesterday, 08:29 PM   #9
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Looks like they've had to raise the floor in the tub to fit the battery underneath it and now there is a little step in the floor.
naddis01 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 02:09 PM   #10
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

regardless of the battery, the 2.3 ecoboost is an awesome piece of kit. This is the powerpack the Yanks get, and the Amarok gets, that everyone is complaining we don't get here in our Ranger. Treat it as a petrol car, with the battery as a bonus and you won't be disappointed.

(subject to price....)
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old Today, 02:11 PM   #11
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
regardless of the battery, the 2.3 ecoboost is an awesome piece of kit. This is the powerpack the Yanks get, and the Amarok gets, that everyone is complaining we don't get here in our Ranger. Treat it as a petrol car, with the battery as a bonus and you won't be disappointed.

(subject to price....)
Hopefully they don't detune it given the hybrid application.
Old Today, 04:36 PM   #12
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Up to 6.9kw output. So it could run welders, compressors, and/or some heavy duty power tools.
As well as keep all your cordless charged.

If Ford market this correctly, and at the right price, it could really carve out a big niche on construction sites and amongst contractors.

If only there was a diesel version, it would be popular on the mines too.
Old Today, 05:31 PM   #13
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
If only there was a diesel version
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post