Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #1
RadioactiveX
Diesel Motor

Default Right Gearbox Oil for manual TDCi models?

Hi guys,

I have a 2011 Ford Focus TDCi LV 6MT. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas which is the right gearbox oil spec for this model? There seems to be a bit of contradictory between resources. On the workshop manual for Focus LV, it says its WSS-M2C200-D2. But on the service guide booklet it says its WSD-M2C200-C. This spec is also found on LT

I understand that WSD-M2C200-C is a GL-4 75W-90 and WSS-M2C200-D2 is a thinner spec, GL-4 FE 75W.

Does anyone know if the D2 can really be used without problems?
Thanks
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #2
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: Right Gearbox Oil for manual TDCi models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioactiveX View Post
Hi guys,

I have a 2011 Ford Focus TDCi LV 6MT. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas which is the right gearbox oil spec for this model? There seems to be a bit of contradictory between resources. On the workshop manual for Focus LV, it says its WSS-M2C200-D2. But on the service guide booklet it says its WSD-M2C200-C. This spec is also found on LT

I understand that WSD-M2C200-C is a GL-4 75W-90 and WSS-M2C200-D2 is a thinner spec, GL-4 FE 75W.

Does anyone know if the D2 can really be used without problems?
Thanks
Per the Ford WSM in the Tech Resources section here, WSD-M2C200-C should be used. I suggest using the Penrite ProGear GL-4 75W-90 full synthetic oil which complies with the Ford WSD-M2C200-C spec.

I suspect the lower viscosity WSS-M2C200-D2 oil is used in colder climates.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 11:08 AM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

In terms of LV Focus models:

I'm assuming you mean the MMT6 (6-speed) manual transmission which from the sources I have was specified to use WSS-M2C200-D2 spec oil.

Some markets also got the M66 (6-speed) manual and it uses WSS-M2C200-C3 spec oil.

The LT Focus, as you noted also got the MMT6 but was specified as WSD-M2C200-C spec but the MMT6 in the LW Focus was specified as either WSS-M2C200-D2 or 7U7J-M2C200-BA - the latter being another 75W GL-4.

Frankly, you can use either. The reason for the change seems to be twofold - in warmer climates the D spec offers improved shift quality and it also aids in economy (thus the FE nomenclature).

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 11:26 AM   #4
RadioactiveX
Diesel Motor

Thanks all for your responses. Yes, I only thought of using the D2 spec because last year, I changed the gearbox oil and I used a Nulon M2C200-C spec. After that, I noticed that its become hard to shift to reverse every time, even before winter. 1st and 2nd can also be touchy when engine is cold. I live in Southwest WA. A lot of people at TalkFord.com recommend the D spec for people experiencing hard shifts.

I have got 2 1L bottles of Castrol Transmax FE 75W and will upgrade to this as soon as I can and see if it will make shifting to reverse gear better.

Last edited by RadioactiveX; Today at 11:33 AM.
RadioactiveX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 02:03 PM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Agree, if you are already using the M2C200-C spec and finding difficulty in shifting especially when cold, then try the Transmax Manual FE 75W oil, which complies with Ford WSS-M2C200-D2
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post