Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #1
RadioactiveX
Diesel Motor

Default Right Gearbox Oil for manual TDCi models?

Hi guys,

I have a 2011 Ford Focus TDCi LV 6MT. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas which is the right gearbox oil spec for this model? There seems to be a bit of contradictory between resources. On the workshop manual for Focus LV, it says its WSS-M2C200-D2. But on the service guide booklet it says its WSD-M2C200-C. This spec is also found on LT

I understand that WSD-M2C200-C is a GL-4 75W-90 and WSS-M2C200-D2 is a thinner spec, GL-4 FE 75W.

Does anyone know if the D2 can really be used without problems?
Thanks
Old Today, 10:59 AM   #2
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 
Default Re: Right Gearbox Oil for manual TDCi models?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadioactiveX View Post
Hi guys,

I have a 2011 Ford Focus TDCi LV 6MT. Just wondering if anyone has any ideas which is the right gearbox oil spec for this model? There seems to be a bit of contradictory between resources. On the workshop manual for Focus LV, it says its WSS-M2C200-D2. But on the service guide booklet it says its WSD-M2C200-C. This spec is also found on LT

I understand that WSD-M2C200-C is a GL-4 75W-90 and WSS-M2C200-D2 is a thinner spec, GL-4 FE 75W.

Does anyone know if the D2 can really be used without problems?
Thanks
Per the Ford WSM in the Tech Resources section here, WSD-M2C200-C should be used. I suggest using the Penrite ProGear GL-4 75W-90 full synthetic oil which complies with the Ford WSD-M2C200-C spec.

I suspect the lower viscosity WSS-M2C200-D2 oil is used in colder climates.
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 11:08 AM   #3
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

In terms of LV Focus models:

I'm assuming you mean the MMT6 (6-speed) manual transmission which from the sources I have was specified to use WSS-M2C200-D2 spec oil.

Some markets also got the M66 (6-speed) manual and it uses WSS-M2C200-C3 spec oil.

The LT Focus, as you noted also got the MMT6 but was specified as WSD-M2C200-C spec but the MMT6 in the LW Focus was specified as either WSS-M2C200-D2 or 7U7J-M2C200-BA - the latter being another 75W GL-4.

Frankly, you can use either. The reason for the change seems to be twofold - in warmer climates the D spec offers improved shift quality and it also aids in economy (thus the FE nomenclature).

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Today, 11:26 AM   #4
RadioactiveX
Diesel Motor

Thanks all for your responses. Yes, I only thought of using the D2 spec because last year, I changed the gearbox oil and I used a Nulon M2C200-C spec. After that, I noticed that its become hard to shift to reverse every time, even before winter. 1st and 2nd can also be touchy when engine is cold. I live in Southwest WA. A lot of people at TalkFord.com recommend the D spec for people experiencing hard shifts.

I have got 2 1L bottles of Castrol Transmax FE 75W and will upgrade to this as soon as I can and see if it will make shifting to reverse gear better.

Last edited by RadioactiveX; Today at 11:33 AM.
RadioactiveX is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 02:03 PM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Agree, if you are already using the M2C200-C spec and finding difficulty in shifting especially when cold, then try the Transmax Manual FE 75W oil, which complies with Ford WSS-M2C200-D2
Silver Ghia is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post