Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-08-2024, 04:30 PM   #121
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: VFACTS - July 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Getting back to car sales, I have noticed more and more Cupra models in recent times.

Initially I thought it was another cheap Chinese marque but soon discovered it was neither cheap nor Chinese.

Yet another member of VAG.

Started as subsidiary of SEAT or something but is now it's own brand.

For the price, I'm surprised how many I see around. Have others noticed similar in other states?
Was interested in the Cupra Born even though I hate VAG with a passion,

It weighs about as much as my old 7 series, which is a 5.1M long luxo barge,

How you can make a Golf sized hatch weigh that much is hilarious.

Have seen a few on the road, they look good

But it's 1900kg and under powered, with an expensive price tag.

I think for me I'll be waiting for a Tesla Model 2 to come along

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 17-08-2024 at 04:42 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-08-2024, 05:19 PM   #122
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevino View Post
Wouldn’t Maverick and Bronco not cannabilise Ranger Everest sales thus throwing the Thailand factory under the bus?
Ford Australia was actively looking at getting at least one of those vehicles a few years back
just as supplier shortages were becoming a continual problem but nothing eventuated.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-08-2024, 05:38 PM   #123
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of overlap with most of the VAG cars. Got to wonder how they can make it work but I guess each brand is essentially a separate business.
I guess the separate brands are seen as incremental sales, looks like over 300/mth for Cupra brand
Old 17-08-2024, 05:40 PM   #124
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yeah, there seems to be a lot of overlap with most of the VAG cars. Got to wonder how they can make it work but I guess each brand is essentially a separate business.
Perhaps they get (government) build subsidies in the different countries these are built.
VAG Germany Mexico S Africa
Cupra -Spain (?)
Skoda- Czech Republic
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2024, 05:41 PM   #125
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Was interested in the Cupra Born even though I hate VAG with a passion,

It weighs about as much as my old 7 series, which is a 5.1M long luxo barge,

How you can make a Golf sized hatch weigh that much is hilarious.

Have seen a few on the road, they look good

But it's 1900kg and under powered, with an expensive price tag.

I think for me I'll be waiting for a Tesla Model 2 to come along
Renault Megane E tech
1600kg

Waits for flames about French cars
Old 17-08-2024, 08:07 PM   #126
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
And yet, Ford struggle to make vehicles with the steering wheel on either side, or see value in pursuing more volume from vehicles that would easily sell outside of the US market. Both aspects are a mere formailty to the likes of Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, the entire VAG group, Mazda.............................................

Quote:
Perhaps they get (government) build subsidies in the different countries these are built.
VAG Germany Mexico S Africa
Cupra -Spain (?)
Skoda- Czech Republic
Correct.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 09:58 AM   #127
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
And yet, Ford struggle to make vehicles with the steering wheel on either side, or see value in pursuing more volume from vehicles that would easily sell outside of the US market. Both aspects are a mere formailty to the likes of Toyota, Hyundai, Kia, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, the entire VAG group, Mazda.............................................

Correct.
When you have glasses on with a focal length that ends at Hawaii.,..
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM   #128
prydey
Rob

Even as possibly Ford's biggest apologist on this forum I have to admit it does seem lazy to just pull out of the competitive segments.

I understand for the Australian market given we're a tiny island with a small population but to pull out of Europe does, from the outside admittedly, seem like they can't be bothered putting the effort in. The products, while no longer market leading, are still good products selling in reasonable numbers.

I understand emissions policy in Europe does not bode well for the future of ICE vehicles so perhaps ford can't be bothered pouring money in to development especially if the return has a limited time frame.

I do think Europe will support BEV vehicles much better than Australia
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM   #129
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even as possibly Ford's biggest apologist on this forum I have to admit it does seem lazy to just pull out of the competitive segments.

I understand for the Australian market given we're a tiny island with a small population but to pull out of Europe does, from the outside admittedly, seem like they can't be bothered putting the effort in. The products, while no longer market leading, are still good products selling in reasonable numbers.

I understand emissions policy in Europe does not bode well for the future of ICE vehicles so perhaps ford can't be bothered pouring money in to development especially if the return has a limited time frame.

I do think Europe will support BEV vehicles much better than Australia
Also why Dearborn is stepping in with more control over Ford Europe who were given a lot of autonomy.
Looks like head office is very unimpressed at the decline in sales occurring in Europe and want change.
I have now idea what if any impact that will have on future vehicle supply but we can hope for change..
Old Yesterday, 01:40 PM   #130
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo
Shame that Ford pulled out of everything except one or two segments,

The whole shamozzle around Ford Europe ****es me off the most because Ford Europe made next level small cars, no one else comes close with driving experience and how they stop, turn and go.

Throttle response that reads your mind, tiniest movement of the steering wheel and the car moves.

Just majestic cars,

Then head office decides to take to it with an axe, and cut their strength of Ford Europe.

No more Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo, assume their engineers went with them too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoo View Post
The same can be said for the Falcon. Pretty much nothing that offered the same level of driving dynamics, engine performance and comfort that wasn’t compromised for the price.
But some accuse those of living in the past and to get with the times if they point it out.
Now we’re stuck with dead boring car based SUVs across the board. Touted as decent vehicles because of the touch screen size or the ability to keep itself between two white lines to make up for drivers wandering attention from the mind numbing drive.

Catching up with thread here, you got it in one smoo. And Franco is correct too, it sucks when that unique product you like gets the chop. Immense boredom in the replacement process, drop 50K for something you don't want?

Was off with the US market last night and CDJR is in real trouble, to an extent the big 3 are stockpiling unsold inventory on dealer lots as well as hiring space nearer the factories, the consumer there has snapped after covid pricing and won't pay $110K US for a Grand Wagoneer (ship them here! Oh, left hand drive). A moment of reckoning is occurring in their dealers and I remember from reading that inventories piled up in late 1928 but it took until the next year for the market to realise this. EV resale in the US is armageddon at present, and if all the growth that went with the inflation reduction act comes in for a fall, that's a classic capital misallocation bubble just as the GFC was with houses.

I do wonder if the US flooded the world with it's unsold domestic inventory, like China is doing, if it raining pickups and ultra huge SUVs would make Australia great. In the regions at least.
Old Yesterday, 01:53 PM   #131
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
I do wonder if the US flooded the world with it's unsold domestic inventory, like China is doing, if it raining pickups and ultra huge SUVs would make Australia great. In the regions at least.
Who remembers when utes were povvo spec and cheap 'goods carrying' vehicles?

Make utes great again, still have the fancy Thailand Special, but bring in the Agrale Marrua AM200

https://www.safescape.com/vehicles/agrale-marrua
2 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 02:02 PM   #132
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Make utes great again, still have the fancy Thailand Special, but bring in the Agrale Marrua AM200

I think the market has spoken. I know some like to claim they are only popular due to legislation however I think the fact that they can double as I nice family car, recreational vehicle and work vehicle is a much bigger reason. The market for a pov spec ute is small I would think.
Old Yesterday, 02:03 PM   #133
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I think the market has spoken. I know some like to claim they are only popular due to legislation however I think the fact that they can double as I nice family car, recreational vehicle and work vehicle is a much bigger reason. The market for a pov spec ute is small I would think.
Toyota Australia refusing to bring the Hilux Champ to our market contradicts that, they're worried about it cannibalizing their Hilux Workmate sales.

My claim is backed up by the fact if you remove ABN purchases from the VFACTS stats, Tesla Model Y is Australia's most popular car from private buyers.
Old Yesterday, 02:06 PM   #134
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Toyota Australia refusing to bring the Hilux Champ to our market contradicts that, they're worried about it cannibalizing their Hilux Workmate sales.

My claim is backed up by the fact if you remove ABN purchases from the VFACTS stats, Tesla Model Y is Australia's most popular car from private buyers.
I never did there is no market.

Also, you are assuming that those buying with an abn wouldn't still buy the same car if they had no option to subsidise. That may be true but it's speculation only. They may not be the most popular but they would still be popular.
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM   #135
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I never did there is no market.

Also, you are assuming that those buying with an abn wouldn't still buy the same car if they had no option to subsidise. That may be true but it's speculation only. They may not be the most popular but they would still be popular.
You're also conveniently overlooking the financial benefits Thailand Specials provide through eligibility for middle class welfare opportunities, such as family tax benefit and childcare subsidies, that owning one of these dual cabs puts on the table when it comes to Centrelink entitlements, specifically excluding whats on offer through the ATO.

Take away those incentives and you'd find not everyone's wife is interested in driving some ladder frame monster that steers like the Costa Concordia.
Old Yesterday, 02:13 PM   #136
prydey
Rob

Ford keep adding models... At the top. I think that says where they think the market is at. Other marques are doing the same.

No one is bringing out a basic ute.

I guess it's about profits.

If they brought out a povvo spec with a decent driveline it might be different, I agree but they don't. So when you option up to the bi turbo in the base model, you may as well just buy XLT.
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #137
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch
Donating Member3

Quote:

Make the Lada Niva great again! Be a good competitor for the Suzuki.

Though the zero star safety rating could be hard to get Ancap tickoff.

Last edited by anobserver; Yesterday at 02:16 PM. Reason: Afterthought
anobserver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 02:14 PM   #138
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, I read through the comments on the dealer lot inspections vids, plenty of tradesmen over there saying 'I got a pick up for 35K before covid, no way I'm paying 75K for it now, I just want the base model for work'.

The little Toyota ute in India looks a bit like that one Franco!

In US, they've had layoffs, production cuts, dealers refusing stock, and incredibly Stellantis seems not to be offering much in the way of incentives to clear stock so dealers are frying. Worth checking out on any of the US auto channels on yt.

A few links, the channels do love a bit of drama, which is happening over there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8sZPtPL2tIA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMuwvEzXk8Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b7DfwVCjsN8

Not just mopar:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEejvo3xHgg

In terms of hybrids mentioned in thread above, I think the massive increase in sales is easily understandable and quite logical - it's a way to peg fuel consumption to something very reasonable, use existing built out infrastructure, able to do very long Australian trips without extra consideration, provides good power and acceleration. I think it's a good way to get the transition to electrification going in Oz with its vast distances, and that it will continue as more hybrids land in that midsize SUV category.

Also, Toyota sales on the RAV were about 95% hybrid before they stopped the petrol, so the increase in hybrid sales because of this change would be marginal - it's consumer demand and volumes being able to be shipped to meet it.

(The Fast Lane has a really interesting RAV4 offroad AWD test where more than once he mentions just how good the electric motor in the rear is with the zero torque gripping as he gets over the obstacles on track.)
Old Yesterday, 02:16 PM   #139
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford keep adding models... At the top. I think that says where they think the market is at. Other marques are doing the same.

If they brought out a povvo spec with a decent driveline it might be different, I agree but they don't. So when you option up to the bi turbo in the base model, you may as well just buy XLT.
Absolutely, I think this was the plan in the US which is now falling on it's **** as the consumer cannot afford the top end as easily now, so lots full of them build up. Hard to get a base model or Maverick.
Old Yesterday, 02:18 PM   #140
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

My perspective is that Ford doesn't have what it takes to compete for Hilux Workmate sales - too hard basket.

They don't need to because they're at the top of the market, but I've never met any sales person who was happy with their existing sales, you always want to take as much on the table as possible.

Thats why Ford Australia lobbied the federal government tooth and nail about the NVES, because they realise they're cooked if the federal government introduces legislation effecting their only two profitable vehicles (Ranger and Everest).
Old Yesterday, 03:15 PM   #141
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You're also conveniently overlooking the financial benefits Thailand Specials provide through eligibility for middle class welfare opportunities, such as family tax benefit and childcare subsidies, that owning one of these dual cabs puts on the table when it comes to Centrelink entitlements, specifically excluding whats on offer through the ATO.

Take away those incentives and you'd find not everyone's wife is interested in driving some ladder frame monster that steers like the Costa Concordia.
?????
Middle class welfare opportunities for Thailand special owners?
Wtf
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #142
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
?????
Middle class welfare opportunities for Thailand special owners?
Wtf
Quote:
Some small business owners may also be disadvantaged by reportable fringe benefit (RFB) disclosures in their personal tax returns, which are required for FBT-exempt EVs but not for FBT-exempt dual cabs and 4WDs. RFBs are not taxed, but are taken into account when calculating family tax benefit, childcare subsidy, higher education loan program repayments and other obligations.
The fact is with Thailand Specials it reduces your obligations and puts entitlements on the table you wouldn't normally be eligible for, effects HELP loans, puts childcare subsidies in your reach and family tax benefit eligibility.

Does the market REALLY want dual cab utes, or is the market being incentivised? Funny how when you remove non-ABN purchases of vehicles, Model Y now becomes Australia's most popular car.
3 users like this post:
Old Yesterday, 04:45 PM   #143
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
The fact is with Thailand Specials it reduces your obligations and puts entitlements on the table you wouldn't normally be eligible for, effects HELP loans, puts childcare subsidies in your reach and family tax benefit eligibility.

Does the market REALLY want dual cab utes, or is the market being incentivised? Funny how when you remove non-ABN purchases of vehicles, Model Y now becomes Australia's most popular car.
Or you could argue that a dual cab suits more businesses than a Model Y and that plays a part in why they are the more popular business vehicle.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 04:48 PM   #144
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
Or you could argue that a dual cab suits more businesses than a Model Y and that plays a part in why they are the more popular business vehicle.
Sure, which is why there is pressure on the government to remove all the incentives, because they won't effect people using them for business purposes, because they actually need these vehicles regardless.

Only filters out the charlatans taking the ****.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; Yesterday at 04:54 PM.