Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old Yesterday, 03:10 PM   #31
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VFACTS - July 2024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
With what happened on the markets today with the pacific peso (AUD) taking a shit, I don't think we'll be buying anything with our shitcoin at this rate, a lovely $100B hit to the ASX - ouchies if you're on the cusp of retiring with the hit you're going to cop on your super.

Oh well, maybe we'll attract foreign investment and become a manufacturing powerhouse again if our peso falls further
Ironically part of the reason was the mad lads at the Bank of Japan actually increasing their interest rates from a floor near zero. Like throwing a boulder into a pond.
Old Yesterday, 07:00 PM   #32
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death View Post
Ford have all their eggs in the one basket.
They were The Falcon Company. They're now almost 100% dependent on the Ranger-Everest Platform.
One bad build year could see the entire thing come tumbling down
Toyota have strong performers in almost very segment. The RAV-4 sells like hotcakes.

The Ford Escape has essentially died without a whimper in Australia despite being a very decent car that unlike many of the mid-sized SUVs, is an enjoyable drive. Also one of few cars in its segment that has a torque-converter in it, as opposed to a bloody CVT. Of course, nobody knows that because Ford's marketing department have still not improved one bit over the past 15 years.

I think the Everest is a decent car, but too big for me. I have no need for a Ranger. Too impractical anyway.

Ford has neglected too many market segments. The mid-range SUV is fertile ground, but you aren't going to pull people away from a Rav-4 or CX-5 if you don't give them an active reason to do so. The driving dynamics, the drivetrain, the styling etc. should all have been hammered home.
The RAV-4 styling is fine (IMO), but the drivetrain is inferior, and the handling is reportedly quite mundane. Despite that, people run towards them like Homer and the ice-cream truck.

I wish Ford supported their models more. The Focus also deserved better. The final models had fixed the DSG issues and replaced with a traditional box, but I guarantee that 99% of people wouldn't know.

For Ford's sake, I just hope the Ranger and Everest are always decent relative to their opposition, or they're going to be caught with their pants down again, or completely ripped off as in the case of Holden.
I think the styling was part of the problem. Puma looks good in the higher spec trims, but even then from some angles it looks odd, almost like a bug. Escape looks very feminine, shame we’re not getting the updated model that looks a bit more butch. Focus was the same, a good looking car in higher spec trim that still looked odd from some angles.

The interiors weren’t exactly best in class either. Functional maybe, but just seemed they built it to a price.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old Yesterday, 08:00 PM   #33
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All subjective
I think all 3 look good
But powershift drama s in prev models prob damaged focus
And Puma and Escape don’t think Ford Ute Aus could get any stock from Ford Eur so they didn’t bother marketing or advertising … good cars gone bye bye
kevino is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 10:03 PM   #34
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
I think the styling was part of the problem. Puma looks good in the higher spec trims, but even then from some angles it looks odd, almost like a bug. Escape looks very feminine, shame we’re not getting the updated model that looks a bit more butch. Focus was the same, a good looking car in higher spec trim that still looked odd from some angles.

The interiors weren’t exactly best in class either. Functional maybe, but just seemed they built it to a price.
Ford deliberately softened the Escape's styling for the current generation, namely, to put distance between it and the Bronco Sport which shares the same platform. Problem is that concept was only relevant for US customers because Ford stupidly limited the Bronco Sport to the US market, so every other market got a take it or leave it proposition.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Yesterday, 10:26 PM   #35
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death View Post
For Ford's sake, I just hope the Ranger and Everest are always decent relative to their opposition, or they're going to be caught with their pants down again, or completely ripped off as in the case of Holden.
The real test will be the new Prado. The less conservative styling might do well in that segment. Will be interesting to see Everest numbers against that.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 12:06 AM   #36
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Prado has never been a looker so it won’t matter, it’s their distribution and return business and fleet.
Ford hardly over turns them but for Ranger getting ahead of them in advancements originally.
There has hardly been a Toy flop of the popular volume models even with recalls dpf dogs they keep re climbing the step ladder.
Always a challenge but they recover ground lost or near enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 09:09 AM   #37
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Ford deliberately softened the Escape's styling for the current generation, namely, to put distance between it and the Bronco Sport which shares the same platform. Problem is that concept was only relevant for US customers because Ford stupidly limited the Bronco Sport to the US market, so every other market got a take it or leave it proposition.
You could also make an argument that the softening of Escape body was to migrate
more Focus buyers to a more profitable vehicle.

It matters little as Ford Europe has cut a lot of the Euro 5 versions and Australia can’t
import Euro 6 compliant vehicles until the fuel available here in about 18 months.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m in the camp that would love to see more compact fords here,
America/Mexico exports to us would be helpful if the vehicles were designed in RHD…
What a cluster, a RHD Maverick and Bronco Sport would be interesting models to sell here
but absolutely not on the radar unless big changes happen.

It’s clear that Ford has a set its plan on highly profitable Ranger /Everest sales, that success
at least gives Ford a chance to at least look at a business plan for more vehicles but then,
governments pushing like crazy with electrification sure doesn’t help.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 04:15 PM   #38
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I wonder how long RAV4 hybrid buyers were waiting for their vehicles,
looks like almost a full boat load sold last month.
RAV4 wait times have been crazy long so I would say that this is a big delivery. It will be interesting to see the figures next month.
Old Today, 05:54 PM   #39
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt View Post
RAV4 wait times have been crazy long so I would say that this is a big delivery. It will be interesting to see the figures next month.
Yes, that would explain why so many in a month, I’ve heard that buyers have been hanging on
waiting a long time for these..must be a joy to finally get what you really want,
can’t deny the conviction of those buyers.
I guess the same could be said of Ranger/Everest buyers and of course Hilux/Prado buyer too…

I wonder if ramp up on boat deliveries is starting to shorten buyer wait times for vehicles.
I know wait times for certain Rangers was over 12 months before the new carrier started
so hoping it gets down to like two or three months (maybe wishful thinking)

Last edited by jpd80; Today at 06:00 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 08:30 PM   #40
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
You could also make an argument that the softening of Escape body was to migrate
more Focus buyers to a more profitable vehicle.
Quote:

Agreed. Same approach to the transition from Fiesta to Puma.
America/Mexico exports to us would be helpful if the vehicles were designed in RHD…

What a cluster, a RHD Maverick and Bronco Sport would be interesting models to sell here but absolutely not on the radar unless big changes happen.

It’s clear that Ford has a set its plan on highly profitable Ranger /Everest sales, that success at least gives Ford a chance to at least look at a business plan for more vehicles but then, governments pushing like crazy with electrification sure doesn’t help.
The whole Ford approach to markets outside of the USA is pure laziness. At the moment, Ranger/Everest is super easy and basically sells itself, backed by plant capacity being in the right places to deliver on that. I have no doubt Bronco Sport and Maverick would have done big business in Australia, Maverick in particular for those who simply don't need a 2.8 tonne ladder frame me-too vehicle.
Mustang GT

Old Today, 08:32 PM   #41
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Maverick in particular for those who simply don't need a 2.8 tonne ladder frame me-too vehicle.
All the Strava/Running club crew, with the garmin watches, speed dealer shades, fancy runners who you'd be at a urinal at the cinemas, there's 20 others that are free but they'd come up and start using the urinal next to you, then tell you how they're 'training for a marathon' and their 5km PB at parkrun.

They tend to be outdoorsy types who you could market a 'lifestyle ute', something thats not a ladder frame clattery diesel piece of shit that you get diesel on your hands every time you fill it up and that steers like the Costa Concordia.

It wouldn't canibalise Ranger sales as they're different customers, it'll steal some off Subaru and some other SUV sellers.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/

Its a huge oversight keeping that to US-only, would do well in Australia.

Its based off Focus/C2 platform so it should steer and drive wicked, more car like anyway.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; Today at 08:39 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 08:39 PM   #42
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
All the Strava/Running club crew, with the garmin watches, speed dealer shades, fancy runners who you'd be at a urinal at the cinemas, there's 20 others that are free but they'd come up and start using the urinal next to you, then tell you how they're 'training for a marathon' and their 5km PB at parkrun.

They tend to be outdoorsy types who you could market a 'lifestyle ute', something thats not a ladder frame clattery diesel piece of shit that you get diesel on your hands every time you fill it up and that steers like the Costa Concordia.

It wouldn't canibalise Ranger sales as they're different customers, it'll steal some off Subaru and some other SUV sellers.

https://www.ford.com/trucks/maverick/
I'm impressed you know what strava is....
Old Today, 08:40 PM   #43
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I'm impressed you know what strava is....

Notice I didn't say New Balance runners though,
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 08:48 PM   #44
prydey
Rob

I don't do running. Too old for that. I'll stick to walking and cycling.

Mind you, I reckon the smaller ford macho style SUVs would more suit the young mums in leggings with the jogging prams...
Old Today, 09:47 PM   #45
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I don't do running. Too old for that. I'll stick to walking and cycling.

Mind you, I reckon the smaller ford macho style SUVs would more suit the young mums in leggings with the jogging prams...
Bronco Sport would fill that role superbly. But no, it would cost them too much money to make some money.
Mustang GT