Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old Today, 06:47 PM   #1
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Plumbing Question

The cold water braided stainless flexible hose on our kitchen mixer taps decided to fail Tuesday night just before I retired for the night so I have been forced to contort myself under the kitchen sink clearing up the flood waters and replacing both the hoses. The failed hose was only just (10 days) over 6 years old (the warranty period) and failed in what I thought was an odd way with the threads where it screws in to the brass block fitting at the base of tap head corroding so the hose was blown out of the brass fitting. Picture attached showing the crusty "green snot" on the threads as Eric O from South Main Auto would call it. I was aware that the braided hoses on mixers taps had a limited life and needed to be checked regularly but I was expecting that a failure would more likely be a split hose and start as a detectable pin hole leak.

Obviously while the cold water hose was the one that failed the hot water one wasn't going to be far behind. It was lucky I went to get a glass of water before bed and heard the noise of the leak above that of the adjacent dishwasher so the flooding damage was minimised and mostly contained to the one shelf immediately under the sink. I guess the solenoids on the dishwasher, that is fed from the same cold water pipe under the sink, switching on and off was enough pressure variation to find the weak point. The threads in the brass tap fitting head seem Ok and the new stainless hoses with a 15 year warranty (these https://www.bunnings.com.au/kinetic-...-hose_p0422491) have thread that are several mm longer so hopefully it is fixed for now. Nonetheless, I have also ordered a replacement mixer tap that I will install at my leisure in the warmer weather. It's an earlier model of this tap I think that cost me a lot more at the time (well all of $199.99) https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12473262...Bk9SR8T80Y-ZZA I wonder if using Loxeal sealant (https://www.bunnings.com.au/loxeal-5...esive_p4920450) on the threads originally was a good or bad thing? In any event, I left the new ones naked.

So the questions to the plumbing experts on the forum are:

a) is this a common failure point?
b) Other than replacing them sooner could I have done anything to prevent this and prevent it happening again?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Hoses.jpg (34.3 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by aussiblue; Today at 06:58 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 08:15 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Plumbing Question

Dry threads, smear of food grade o-ring grease on the rubber, no anaerobic sealants.

It looks like a marine type failure; de-zincified brass. I’d wonder if a steel fastener in contact nearby was getting wet. Could also be low quality hoses.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 08:45 PM   #3
Itsme
Experienced Member

Touch wood never had an issue with mine in the house & caravan, over 12 years for the van and about 15 years for the house.
Itsme is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 09:08 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:
Dry threads, smear of food grade o-ring grease on the rubber, no anaerobic sealants.

It looks like a marine type failure; de-zincified brass. I’d wonder if a steel fastener in contact nearby was getting wet. Could also be low quality hoses.
The O rings were greased with HydroSeal tap grease per installation instructions and the threads had Loxeal sealant (the latter not as instructed so the reason I asked). No steel fasteners anywhere I can see; everything appears to be either brass, stainless or rubber. The insides of the hoses are rusty orange coloured bur not build-up like on the threads; perhaps it down to the extremity hard water we have in WA. Interesting that the hot and cold hoses have different coloured rust on the threads too.

Last edited by aussiblue; Today at 09:16 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old Today, 09:11 PM   #5
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Work colleague had a leak on the first floor bathroom of her holiday house. Sadly, it wasn't holiday time, so the leak wasn't found until substantial damage was done (collapsed first floor roof plaster, flooring, walls etc). She never said how much it cost but the project to carry out repairs took around 18 months. I'm guessing the cost was in the 100s of 1000s.

Root cause? A flexible water hose feeding the sink in the ensuite had failed. The insurance company had the opinion that all flexible water hoses should be changed out at a maximum period of 10 years.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: