Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-07-2024, 09:03 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Weller Soldering Iron Cable

I’ve had my Weller soldering station since 1985, yesterday it was no longer working. The reason? A wire in the “silicone” rubber cord from transformer to iron, had fatigued and snapped through.

It’s not possible to pare back the sheathing and remake the end connections, as the inner insulation is digesting itself - a form of chemical rot.

So I really need to replace the cable. I’ve not been around enough Weller soldering stations to know if they all used the same three pin connector, or if they varied. (I do know they changed the pin assignment about 25 years back.)

It’s a really supple three conductor cord of about 6mm outside diameter.

Has anyone here, knowledge of whether (or if so, when) the connector plug physically changed - and what units interchange?

Else, suggestions on where I might buy a suitable and very flexible cable of original diameter, to carry 50W dependably.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-07-2024, 09:36 PM   #2
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Default Re: Weller Soldering Iron Cable

I bought my Weller soldering station back in 1985, but couldn't find a new element for the iron. I've gone through two Jaycar stocked stations since, both are now deceased.

I see you can still buy Weller parts though, here's one listing for the cable:

https://au.element14.com/weller/
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2024, 09:40 PM   #3
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

This https://au.element14.com/weller/5320...cp-s/dp/804186 ?
Old 08-07-2024, 09:46 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Thank you both - I’m just not sure if the transformer end is a compatible connector, and with freight it’s potentially a $55 guess.

Reassigning the pins in the base station wouldn’t be too hard - else I could recycle my original cord plug.
Old 08-07-2024, 09:47 PM   #5
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Thank you both - I’m just not sure if the transformer end is a compatible connector, and with freight it’s potentially a $55 guess.

Reassigning the pins in the base station wouldn’t be too hard.
Aliexpress might have it cheaper. reassigning wire in the hot end might be easier, too.
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2024, 10:43 PM   #6
Itsme
Experienced Member

Radioparts in Melbourne was well known for Weller parts, worth a look.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2024, 10:46 PM   #7
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you are correct, the black plastic connector "keyway" changed, one was a halfturn and the other was a few full turns thread.
I also used Hako a lot so may have my wires crossed there but I recall finding some early unused irons that didnt fit the new Weller units.
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2024, 11:02 PM   #8
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, that’s what I suspected. Mine is a bayonet type at the base station - push in and a quarter turn to lock.
Old 11-07-2024, 05:58 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

One of the sellers of 5-conductor silicone rubber sheathed cables for temperature controlled irons reckons their raw cable will be suitable with just a trim to the unwanted wires. Under $20 to me, worth a punt.

Have been making do with a $12.95 Ozito iron, I refuse to risk a butane one inside cars.
4 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2024, 07:49 PM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I've moved to using a relatively cheap pencil type USB rechargeable solder iron for in cabin car soldering; this one in fact: https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 being able to screw the cap back on when not in use increases safety and there is no cord to get in the way. I have had no issues with it so far and it's done everything I needed. Inspired by how well it worked I also bought one of these temperature controlled ones for just a few dollars more but I have not used it yet,

I was tempted to try one after seeing some of David Jone's EEVblog videos:

e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOa783WeDPU
m/watch?v=FOa783WeDPU

Last edited by aussiblue; 11-07-2024 at 08:02 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2024, 09:46 PM   #11
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One of the sellers of 5-conductor silicone rubber sheathed cables for temperature controlled irons reckons their raw cable will be suitable with just a trim to the unwanted wires. Under $20 to me, worth a punt.

Have been making do with a $12.95 Ozito iron, I refuse to risk a butane one inside cars.
The one big job I did with a butane iron was in the back of a hot station wagon, a week of pulling the looms in to the back of the car and working in there. Was in a very hot dry barren area (Woomera) with no power hence the butane. Not ideal conditions but it got the job done.
Old 11-07-2024, 10:51 PM   #12
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

You’d remember that for all the wrong reasons. Hope it paid decently.
Old 12-07-2024, 12:34 AM   #13
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You’d remember that for all the wrong reasons. Hope it paid decently.
Was an adventure and challenge thats for sure, I was OK to deal with that for a week, but any longer would have been too much
Old 12-07-2024, 12:30 PM   #14
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Inspired by this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ia0C_X0ycFE&t=82s I also bought one of these too https://www.amazon.com.au/Nurdo-Inte...%2C282&sr=8-19 but I have not used it yet.
Old 14-07-2024, 06:38 PM   #15
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

I tried the new one today disappointingly this one https://www.amazon.com.au/Nurdo-Inte...%2C282&sr=8-19 and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U56baCDtDrg is not cordless and needs to be plugged into a USB power supply to work. Faced palmed myself after waiting a couple of hours for it to charge.

Last edited by aussiblue; 14-07-2024 at 06:49 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post