Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-02-2022, 01:47 AM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Used car prices

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I did my casual browsing as I do every now and again and **** me the Supra and GT-R prices are insane these days
Once they picked up popularity in the USA it was game over the moment those cars turn 25 and become eligible for import into the USA and can be driven RHD. Particularly R32/R33/R34 GTR.

I feel that those generations of GTR have much more soul than the R35 GTR.

The R35 went down the path of taking away the raw experience of driving a performance car.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 05-02-2022, 08:57 AM   #2
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Once they picked up popularity in the USA it was game over the moment those cars turn 25 and become eligible for import into the USA and can be driven RHD. Particularly R32/R33/R34 GTR.

The R35 went down the path of taking away the raw experience of driving a performance car.
I totally agree. I mean i admire the 35 GTR, but a 32 GTR is my dream Jap car.

Funny story, an ex of many years ago worked at a pharmacist.
The actual pharmacist had a 32 GTR and drove it around his farm rounding up cattle (seen it with my own eyes) i guess back then it didnt appeal too much to me but i knew what it was though
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2022, 09:01 PM   #3
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I'd never considered this before but forgetting the general **** going on in the used car market at the moment. The US is a huge market and also the grades of imports are a factor too now I have done a bit of dive into it

The Aussie market sucked up a lot of these really good grades for a long time.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-02-2022, 10:05 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
I'd never considered this before but forgetting the general **** going on in the used car market at the moment. The US is a huge market and also the grades of imports are a factor too now I have done a bit of dive into it

The Aussie market sucked up a lot of these really good grades for a long time.
When I got off my Ps in 2014, R33 GTR V spec was $25,000-$30,000 for a mint one.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...20342467/?Cr=1

Check them out now.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2022, 10:14 PM   #5
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
When I got off my Ps in 2014, R33 GTR V spec was $25,000-$30,000 for a mint one.

Check them out now.
A mate had a Midnight Purple R33 GTR with White TE37's in 2007. Ended up selling it for $35k back then. it was replaced by an R34 GTR in Midnight Purple 3 a few years later. Ended up costing him less than $50k imported and on the road (mint, low km, non V-Spec hard to find colour). He still owns it, rarely drives it but has been offered insane $$$. Best investment he ever made he reckons... He had been putting together parts to turn it into a 1200HP monster but with the values is probably going to leave it be for the moment...

Ive got an ex client who has a mint 15k km Australian Delivered R32 GTR who, apparently, was offered $500k for it.. Again, back in the day an R32 GTR was in the $20k range...

Supra's are in a similar boat, and I see Evo lancer owners trying to get into it now as well...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-02-2022, 11:54 PM   #6
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Check them out now.
I remember when I was looking for my car I could buy a MY03 WRX or a R34 GTS-T for roughly $25-30k.

I ended up buying a clean WRX for $27k and still have it but I think a R34 GT-R was going about $50-60k at the time which was 2006.
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-02-2022, 01:11 AM   #7
AUWA1

Low km TE50 on Just Ford Muscle cars $79k,man these are on the rise and I must admit they are the Kings of the AU’s along with the TS50 T3. Even XR8”s are starting to move.Can’t spell beAUtiful without an AU!
Old 15-02-2022, 11:24 AM   #8
Work Horse
Budget Racer

I have put off replacing the 1989 Ford trader I use for work because of the increased cost of second hand vehicles.

A week ago I was pushing it a bit hard on the freeway, fully loaded and over due for a service. I took the top off a piston I think The truck got me the 12kms home on 3 cylinders, just.

So went out last week and bought a brand new vehicle, just could not justify the price of a second hand vehicle in the current climate. In the 32 years between the production of my 1989 Ford trader and the 2021 plate Isuzu Dmax that replaced it, many improvements have been made in vehicle manufacture!

So that left a rusty truck with a blown engine and 375000kms on the clock blocking my driveway. I sent a message to 9 local wreakers to see if there was any interest. Everyone got back to me, some wanted to know what I wanted for it, others offered to beat any price I was offered.

I ran a little auction between them, when the bidding got silly +$1.00 I closed the bidding and told them at 9.00am the next day everyone gets one last bid and the best offer takes it. My truck, my rules.

I got $3500 cash the next day. The guy that bought it was happy despite the amount of rust in the cab, you can see the road through the drivers floor! He told me he was going to paint the cab, put another engine in it and export my old truck to Pakistan!

Last edited by Work Horse; 15-02-2022 at 11:39 AM.
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2022, 09:22 AM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
I have put off replacing the 1989 Ford trader I use for work because of the increased cost of second hand vehicles.

A week ago I was pushing it a bit hard on the freeway, fully loaded and over due for a service. I took the top off a piston I think The truck got me the 12kms home on 3 cylinders, just.

So went out last week and bought a brand new vehicle, just could not justify the price of a second hand vehicle in the current climate. In the 32 years between the production of my 1989 Ford trader and the 2021 plate Isuzu Dmax that replaced it, many improvements have been made in vehicle manufacture!

So that left a rusty truck with a blown engine and 375000kms on the clock blocking my driveway. I sent a message to 9 local wreakers to see if there was any interest. Everyone got back to me, some wanted to know what I wanted for it, others offered to beat any price I was offered.

I ran a little auction between them, when the bidding got silly +$1.00 I closed the bidding and told them at 9.00am the next day everyone gets one last bid and the best offer takes it. My truck, my rules.

I got $3500 cash the next day. The guy that bought it was happy despite the amount of rust in the cab, you can see the road through the drivers floor! He told me he was going to paint the cab, put another engine in it and export my old truck to Pakistan!
Ford Traders never die, they just start a new life in the subcontinent
Old 16-03-2022, 01:44 PM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post

Work. Somehow missed this post, I bought a 1990 year model one just prior to Covid for $3000 (knowing they were starting to climb in price) for use as a parts truck. Being a coastal truck (Bega) I was expecting the cab to be shot but only bought it for the drivetrain.

Knowing the exporter were also after them I stuck a wanted ad in Gumtree, the guy had just bought a new N series Isuzu and offered to deliver it over the snowy's to my place. Got it here and found a small rust hole at the back of the cab, the accelerator cable and pedal missing. Stuck some diesel in it, fitted a new pedal and cable in it and a couple of NZ70 batteries. Three goes at the starter and off she popped.

To good to part out. But might go a different direction on this one.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2022, 01:17 AM   #11
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:

Respectfully I disagree

The R35 was viewed this way when it came out because it was so far ahead of its time… the R32-34 was no different in the 1990’s with the affordable and cutting edge tech it wielded.

An R35 today is both as raw and soulful as one can get in a car thesedays, especially if you are lucky enough to own a CBA (2008-2010) they feel like a race car with plates

While everything went crazy on price during Covid the R35 stayed a relative performance bargain… now they are discontinued due to ADR85/00 it’s a totally different story.

What is crazy expensive tho is the Miami stuff… I just bought a used GS Ute

Holy Moley they are pricey now
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2022, 11:45 AM   #12
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600 View Post
Respectfully I disagree

The R35 was viewed this way when it came out because it was so far ahead of its time… the R32-34 was no different in the 1990’s with the affordable and cutting edge tech it wielded.

An R35 today is both as raw and soulful as one can get in a car thesedays, especially if you are lucky enough to own a CBA (2008-2010) they feel like a race car with plates

While everything went crazy on price during Covid the R35 stayed a relative performance bargain… now they are discontinued due to ADR85/00 it’s a totally different story.

What is crazy expensive tho is the Miami stuff… I just bought a used GS Ute

Holy Moley they are pricey now
Don't worry, I have a friend who owns a Lotus who tells me cars with power steering aren't real drivers cars because it takes away too much steering feel, so I guess there's many differing views on the topic.

I sound like an old bastard though, yelling at the clouds complaining something along the lines of BACK IN MY DAY REAL MEN WITH THEIR REAL CARS ONLY HAD HICAS LOCKOUT BARS AND A MANUAL GEARBOX! NONE OF THIS DSG AND ELECTRONICS

Then someone else comes along:

BACK IN MY DAY REAL MEN WITH THEIR REAL CARS ONLY HAD 460+ CUBIC INCHES, 4 GEARS AND CARBS! NONE OF THIS TURBOS AND FUEL INJECTION

Hopefully I'm dead and buried long before I start having this conversation about real men having electric vehicles that sound like Melbourne trams and drive themselves
2 users like this post:
Old 22-02-2022, 11:51 AM   #13
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Don't worry, I have a friend who owns a Lotus who tells me cars with power steering aren't real drivers cars because it takes away too much steering feel, so I guess there's many differing views on the topic.

I sound like an old bastard though, yelling at the clouds complaining something along the lines of BACK IN MY DAY REAL MEN WITH THEIR REAL CARS ONLY HAD HICAS LOCKOUT BARS AND A MANUAL GEARBOX! NONE OF THIS DSG AND ELECTRONICS

Then someone else comes along:

BACK IN MY DAY REAL MEN WITH THEIR REAL CARS ONLY HAD 460+ CUBIC INCHES, 4 GEARS AND CARBS! NONE OF THIS TURBOS AND FUEL INJECTION

Hopefully I'm dead and buried long before I start having this conversation about real men having electric vehicles that sound like Melbourne trams and drive themselves
It’s true, if you haven’t had to use ammunition to start an engine are you even really living?
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: