Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-01-2022, 11:35 AM   #61
Toiler
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Default Re: Are ICE uncool, EV cool with Millennials and Gen-Z ????

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
They are a single speed gearbox, so even though the motor itself has a flat torque curve, it actually has less torque (AFAIK) than a sporty petrol-powered car *at the wheels* because there is no short first gear.

edit: one of the Koenigsegg's works on the same principle, with a single speed gearbox, but uses clutch slip IIRC to gradually ramp up the degree of drivetrain engagement as speed rises.
I understand that the single speed is a pretty massive reduction gear. The resulting linear delivery of torque via the reduction gear across all engine rotation speeds plus the ability of the motor to rev veeeery high is the punch factor.
Toiler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2022, 04:05 PM   #62
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
To those that say they'd never own a Tesla...really?
Why would you even say that? It seems to reek of insecurity rather than being based on fact.
Why can’t people say they don’t want a Tesla? People can say they don’t want any other brand and it barley raises an eyebrow, but when someone says they don’t want a Tesla somehow the hardcore fans come in reeeing.

I will never buy a Mercedes or a VW. Do you care? Am I saying that out of insecurity?

Personally I would only consider buying a high performance Model S or Model 3. I guess I’m only partly insecure.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2022, 05:12 PM   #63
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll drive an EV as soon as I can afford one and with the money I save on petrol for commuting I'll put into the tanks of my 351s. It won't be a Tesla though because Elon Musk knows as much about building cars as I do: **** all
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2022, 05:34 PM   #64
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"Why can’t people say they don’t want a Tesla? "

It might have something to do with small armies of internet fanboys, the same exists with regard to people's love of Apple products. That's to take nothing away from Tesla's driveline tech which does seem to have better performance than other EVs at present.

I'd like an EV as a commuter. Currently I'd go for the Mazda effort, with it's philosophy of small battery/less range. Why? Because I will keep an ICE for longer distances, would assume the cost to replace the smaller battery will be smaller, it's use will be more tailored to the size of the battery, and I've researched what a shortfall in lithium mined would look like if takeup is as predicted.

Here's a Finnish Tesla owner's reaction when informed of the cost to replace the battery:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_9aVzf5fC4

I also have a theory that harsh environments make people creative and crazy.

Edit: notice the last two letters of the link are 'C4'...
Old 05-01-2022, 10:16 AM   #65
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ford CEO has just announced on Twitter that the F150 Lightning (EV) planned production is increasing from 80,000 to 150,000 per year.

Just reading through a leaked dealer's playbook https://www.scribd.com/document/5509...oad&from_embed

... it appears that a Dealer will earn 10.0% commission on a F150 EV verses 6.4% commission earned on an ICE.

MSRP ranges from $(USD)39,974 for the base model to $(USD)90,874 for the model with all of the fruit.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2022, 12:03 PM   #66
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

There's no EV out here in Qld bush, doubt there will ever be, Except the Wallopers, at Country Stns, they'll get em because all those decisions are made in BNE.
Gov Co up here are currently building charging Stns out along the Warrego, with plans to put them in up to Barcy, then back to Rocky. That will all take years. There's a Bloke in Chinchilla who owns a Model S, he charges it at home, never drives it more than it takes to get home again.
Charging Stn & EV infrastructure in his garage and on his roof cost $60K & his power bills went up by 2%. If that works for you, do it.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 05-01-2022, 01:00 PM   #67
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Clearly yes. I first noticed this in 2016 with some work colleagues. When I tried to explain to them that most of our electricity is generated from coal and the new problems being introduced by rare earth metals being used in batteries their eyes glazed over. Not many of this generation lust over a V8 or I6T Falcon.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2022, 01:52 PM   #68
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Why can't we have both?! I love my V8s and Love my EVs. They money I save with the EVs let me buy more V8s though I doubt there will be many new V8 cars offered in the future.

EVs are just fantastic around town, on the Eastern Seaboard, Country NSW (you can get to Broken Hill or Mildura quite easily now) and are a joy to drive on the open road especially with semi-autonomous control; Auto-Pilot is magnificent on long drives even on roads that aren't marked all that clearly (unlike like other "opinions", I've driven them and can tell you our B grade roads and highways are fine for Auto Pilot).

The V8's are great but they are SLOW!! Especially NA V8s. The EVs just leave them for dead. Love the handling, acceleration and comfort of EVs.

Last edited by kypez; 05-01-2022 at 01:59 PM.
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2022, 01:56 PM   #69
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
There's no EV out here in Qld bush, doubt there will ever be, Except the Wallopers, at Country Stns, they'll get em because all those decisions are made in BNE.
Gov Co up here are currently building charging Stns out along the Warrego, with plans to put them in up to Barcy, then back to Rocky. That will all take years. There's a Bloke in Chinchilla who owns a Model S, he charges it at home, never drives it more than it takes to get home again.
Charging Stn & EV infrastructure in his garage and on his roof cost $60K & his power bills went up by 2%. If that works for you, do it.

I'm going to say that a $60k EV infrastructure is BS. The charger is $780 and you just need to wire it in. If they chose to buy $60k of solar or some other stuff, thats not a necessity.

My energy bill came down because I can run my household stuff on my EV plan that dropped my bills to less than $200 a month running 3 EVs.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-01-2022, 01:56 PM   #70
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
Ford CEO has just announced on Twitter that the F150 Lightning (EV) planned production is increasing from 80,000 to 150,000 per year.

Just reading through a leaked dealer's playbook https://www.scribd.com/document/5509...oad&from_embed

... it appears that a Dealer will earn 10.0% commission on a F150 EV verses 6.4% commission earned on an ICE.

MSRP ranges from $(USD)39,974 for the base model to $(USD)90,874 for the model with all of the fruit.
I wish they brought this here or realised a Ranger Lightning. I'd get one in a heartbeat.
Old 05-01-2022, 03:51 PM   #71
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
There's a Bloke in Chinchilla who owns a Model S, he charges it at home, never drives it more than it takes to get home again.
For that amount of brass, he has probably gone off-grid in a big way. Sure, he might have dropped $60K, but I suspect he has near zero electricity bills and near zero fuel bills. Probably done with simple payback of around 8 to 10 years, and then savings keep rolling in after that.

Don't be too quick to make absolute statements like there will never be EV out bush. From my experience, farmers work the NPV maths on an investment harder than most. Just look at the amount of solar water pumps and solar powered remote telemetry being installed.

If the gear does the job and there is a buck to be saved, they will jump across.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: