Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-07-2021, 07:21 PM   #11
leesa

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross 1 View Post
https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/519F9392797E2DDCCA257D47001B9948/$File/Social-2019.PDF

It covers it, here is the link for
2 Social distancing measures for pandemic influenza .......................................... 3
2.1 Proactive school closure .................................................. ........................... 3
2.2 Reactive school closure .................................................. ............................ 4
2.3 Workplace closure .................................................. .................................... 5
2.4 Working from home .................................................. ................................. 5
2.5 Voluntary isolation of cases .................................................. ..................... 6
2.6 Voluntary quarantine of contacts.......................................... ...................... 7
2.7 Cancellation of mass gatherings .................................................. ............... 7

https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/519F9392797E2DDCCA257D47001B9948/$File/Social-2019.PDF

If you click on links to different sections it is pretty comprehensive. I have spoon fed you all the links, try reading the thing. This barely touches a fraction of it, some people have obviously put a lot of thought into it. Before you think of another example try and find it the report. The only thing I haven't seen is a mention of toilet paper panic buying spree but I suppose they didn't see that one coming.
The whole point of a plan is to preempt what might happen in the future, so it was written in 2016, are they expected to plan in advance for something that is already happening?
I don't know what your screen looked like but the link you listed earlier doesn't take me to any page or document that links the PDF you've linked above. It just takes me to one, this one, and there are no links within it or on page 2 to direct anywhere else: https://www1.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/7A38C92C483C8B77CA25805E001A402D/$File/CDPLAN.pdf

That aside, the social distancing one that you've listed still doesn't outline a plan that can be implemented. It's a discussion about the benefits/outcomes of proactive and reactive actions in influenza outbreaks but it's not enough to cover what I'm talking about.
Schools were not set up to be able to instantly enact learn-from-home policies, we had to learn that and will be ready next time.
For workplace closures it actually says "Proactive workplace closure is not considered as a measure due to <blah>" but we know that's not the case with covid. Almost the whole country has proactively closed workplaces and sent people home to work. And even then, many workplaces were unprepared and IT staff had to scramble to meet needs. Now that we've learned from it, we'll be ready next time on that front also. There are heaps more that I could go on with but I think you get the idea.

Do you see what I'm saying? All of our efforts have nuances that we've had to learn as we went along. The covidsafe app, I doubt that's going to be mentioned in any of your articles but that was a lesson we had to learn also.
We didn't just have a list pre-prepared that we could follow. Almost everything we've had to date we've had to figure out a way forward. The next time it comes around, we'll know not to attempt a covidsafe app because it's not effective enough. We'll know not to trust paper-based sign-ins for people because people lie. We'll know to enact digital sign-ins because they're more effective. We'll know how many people to let into the country, whether they should be staying in medihotels or hospitals, and who should be permitted to transport them. We'll also know not to use private security to run hotels for quarantine hotels. All of that learned experience will form part of a plan and we'll be better prepared next time.

If that still doesn't make sense then I think we're just going to have to agree to disagree.