Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 19-04-2021, 09:29 AM   #331
kaniSS
BIG MEMBER ;)

Default Re: Used car prices

Sold my 2010 XR6T manual ego for 24k the other week, had it advertised for 26k with new tires required sitting on 100,000kms.

I'm happy.
Old 19-04-2021, 01:17 PM   #332
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like to watch what is going through the auctions and what they end up going for, and while the classics and rare stuff is still silly (should say sillier than usual), the 'regular' stuff in the last few weeks seems to be softening a little bit. Still going for more than what they were pre-Covid, but not much more and no where near as much as similar was going for over last 10 months.

I think auctions are the better gauge rather than looking at advertised values, as with auctions you get to see what the market is actually willing to pay (even if it does not reach reserve).
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 19-04-2021, 01:54 PM   #333
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
I like to watch what is going through the auctions and what they end up going for, and while the classics and rare stuff is still silly (should say sillier than usual), the 'regular' stuff in the last few weeks seems to be softening a little bit. Still going for more than what they were pre-Covid, but not much more and no where near as much as similar was going for over last 10 months.

I think auctions are the better gauge rather than looking at advertised values, as with auctions you get to see what the market is actually willing to pay (even if it does not reach reserve).
Interesting, I think auctions for "normal" cars are actually the opposite.

Add your auction tax, people putting in bids for mates, who even knows the auction is on etc and its far from real.

Would be good if there was a way to track actual sale prices like with property, most results are BS.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-04-2021, 01:58 PM   #334
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Interesting, I think auctions for "normal" cars are actually the opposite.

Add your auction tax, people putting in bids for mates, who even knows the auction is on etc and its far from real.

Would be good if there was a way to track actual sale prices like with property, most results are BS.
https://www.allbids.com.au/allbids-c...eria%5D=Closed

all bids keep closed auctions for a week so its good to view sold prices, there are some bargains there, but aussie cars are definitely up still
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2021, 07:37 PM   #335
martyk54

Quote:
The problem is, people are seeing some of the crazy, low numbered HSV auction sale prices and thinking every Falcon / Commodore is now a pot of gold. Dealers are the biggest offenders, private sellers follow suit.

I feel people will get burnt while prices are inflated. Many are taking money out of super to buy these cars, or borrowing against newly found capital on their houses due to the property boom. Special 'numbered' models will always be in high demand. The average HSVs, FPVs / XRs, SSs are what's inflated IMO, unless it's super low km (near new). I don't think these cars will move much at all for many years now, even perhaps down a little. People need to consider what it actually costs to hold / store / maintain a car too.
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2021, 07:55 PM   #336
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54 View Post
The problem is, people are seeing some of the crazy, low numbered HSV auction sale prices and thinking every Falcon / Commodore is now a pot of gold. Dealers are the biggest offenders, private sellers follow suit.

I feel people will get burnt while prices are inflated. Many are taking money out of super to buy these cars, or borrowing against newly found capital on their houses due to the property boom. Special 'numbered' models will always be in high demand. The average HSVs, FPVs / XRs, SSs are what's inflated IMO, unless it's super low km (near new). I don't think these cars will move much at all for many years now, even perhaps down a little. People need to consider what it actually costs to hold / store / maintain a car too.

I know a bloke who paid 65k for one of those vf2 directors. He thinks it will be an earner. Won’t hear about storage costs and insurance and maintenance. It still has delivery kms.

At the end of the day it’s an auto bf Calais. Will be worth not much more than any other Calais in time

I also believe any of the Modern Australian special cars need to be manual to hold their value in time
Giant Cranium is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2021, 06:37 AM   #337
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giant Cranium View Post
I know a bloke who paid 65k for one of those vf2 directors. He thinks it will be an earner. Won’t hear about storage costs and insurance and maintenance. It still has delivery kms.

At the end of the day it’s an auto bf Calais. Will be worth not much more than any other Calais in time

I also believe any of the Modern Australian special cars need to be manual to hold their value in time
Agree with some points, but particularly on ongoing costs, people seem to happily ignore these, same principle for housing investments (not looking at insurance, rates, maintenance etc).

Then you factor in you would want to be running it around once a week to make sure things are lubed etc....id think you would have to hold something for 15+ years to see any return unless you got lucky (when buying near new).
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2021, 07:36 AM   #338
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Not sure if this is a bi product of all this.

I received the insurance renewal for my Ute.

The value has gone up 25% on last year.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2021, 07:38 AM   #339
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54 View Post

Whilst it's nothing special. I know I could sell my Ute for more than I paid for it.

Will I.

Most certainly not.
But your right, factor in rego, insurance etc im still behind
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 27-04-2021, 08:26 AM   #340
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Holden stuff seems to be either more desirable or just more silly compared to Fords of the same era...check out prices of VB-VL against prices of XD-XF, and it is the same for VN through to VS versus EA to EF.

Not just talking the V8 or rare stuff - even base model 6 cylinder auto SL Commodores are nuts. And yes,V8 Fords of the era are going for ok money, but then check out the V8 equivalent from Holden. Few weeks ago watching Grays I saw a VS SS go for more than $30k, same time saw an EF XR8 not make $11k
Old 27-04-2021, 08:51 AM   #341
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
The Holden stuff seems to be either more desirable or just more silly compared to Fords of the same era...check out prices of VB-VL against prices of XD-XF, and it is the same for VN through to VS versus EA to EF.

Not just talking the V8 or rare stuff - even base model 6 cylinder auto SL Commodores are nuts. And yes,V8 Fords of the era are going for ok money, but then check out the V8 equivalent from Holden. Few weeks ago watching Grays I saw a VS SS go for more than $30k, same time saw an EF XR8 not make $11k
You probably picked the worst examples of Ford historically.

XD/XE - ESP and V8's is about it
XF - nothing to note
EA-EF - some odd bunch cars from aftermarket companies and maybe some XR's
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Old 27-04-2021, 10:13 AM   #342
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Agree with above re not much to get excited about from Ford during 80s and 90s, but I'm not just talking about V8s and ESP/SS Fairmont/SLX/Berlina, and Fairmont Ghia/SLE/Calais; even base model 6 cylinder tri-matic (traumatic) L and SL in VB-VH, and Executives from VK onward are worth silly money...sedan and wagon.

If you were to go on carsales and search Commodore then sort by year manufactured, you would think you had sorted by price from highest to lowest. Sort the list by cheapest and it will see VTs at the top of your search results - sort Falcon by cheapest and it is mix of XD to AU.

Again and as usual, doesn't mean any of that is selling for that price, which is why I like auction as you get to see what someone is/was actually willing to pay, not what someone is/was willing to accept.

EDIT: Showing my cards - have a blue XF GL 6-seater (front bench and column shift) that has been sitting out back of a mate's place since my dad passed away in 2014. Doesn't really hold sentimental value, he only held on to it as was worthless back then (he tried selling it for $700 in 2009 and best offer he got was $300); I've only held on to it because I am totally slack and it is not in my driveway/garage/yard annoying me, and too lazy to try and get it going again even though probably just needs a battery. But with Covid-crazy prices thought I'd see if it was worth the effort, but not looking that way.

Last edited by Mulva; 27-04-2021 at 10:31 AM.
Old 27-04-2021, 10:33 AM   #343
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Will probably find that Holden will (long term) will fare better as an investment because Holden was an Australian company whereas Ford was basically an offshore part of Ford USA with a bit of Aust input.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2021, 10:36 AM   #344
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

@Tassie you forgot the italics or smiley or /sarcasm
Old 27-04-2021, 10:42 AM   #345
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I'm tempted to sell my Caprice given what's going on with values on local stuff with 8 cylinders and maybe get into JDM.

Post gearbox replacement of course it's worth scrap value at the moment with only two gears working
Just food for thought - has working gearbag, so there is that, but with 290000km and in same state as you, will be interesting to see where this one closes later tonight. Looks like current bid of $6309 is only just over a third of his reserve, so I doubt he'll get what he is asking...but you can see what it closes at, subtract twice the cost of replacement gearbox or gearbox fix, and you'd have a fair idea of what you could realistically get without fixing it. Or just tell people it is a Powerglide

https://www.grays.com/lot/0001-20008...sedan?spr=true
Old 27-04-2021, 11:27 AM   #346
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Agree with some points, but particularly on ongoing costs, people seem to happily ignore these, same principle for housing investments (not looking at insurance, rates, maintenance etc).

Then you factor in you would want to be running it around once a week to make sure things are lubed etc....id think you would have to hold something for 15+ years to see any return unless you got lucky (when buying near new).
yer I hear you and this comes down to the have's and have not's.
Those who buy but are at their limits, and get shaky if there is a sudden increase in their living costs/a misfortune, you know that curve ball we all can't dodge, surgery/the kids or a large home reno/bathroom etcetc...
And for some, the general cost of rego/ctp/Insurance it just gets washed into the daily/annual costs of living.
I have 2 that I hardly use, 1 mostly never and Thankfully I can afford doing so.
I sure wouldn't be using Super to buy something or anything as such, for one that is madness and shows you have bugger all in the first place.
Good luck to them, hope it works out in the end but I feel thats a hopeful Fairytale in the future.

The pricing is covid madness, people are impatient, imagine what the pricing will drop in a couple more years or so.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #347
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The EB ED EF EL XR's are starting to find their place now. I put a ED XR6 manual up for $17k last week as I had a new car coming and wanted the extra money / space. I was surprised at how much serious interest I got. I ended up with 1 inspection, 3 phone calls and 2 serious offers in the first week. I also saw 2 other cars come up at the similar spec, condition and price - one of which sold. An auto ED XR6 advertised for $13.5k also sold within days, but got $11k.

We are going to see the jump on these 90's Falcons, as the supply of good ones dwindles and the demand increases. They will start to chase the Commos, and soon we'll see the prices start to accelerate as ESP did after 2014. Also takes one or 2 good restored ones or painted ones to go for half decent money, then you see more people take interest. Just follows a standard flow chart really, but the demise of the brands and manufacturing has accelerated the appreciation process, as people try to preserve what still exists in good condition, as we can't buy new anymore. That's how I see it, anyway.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2021, 12:29 PM   #348
FPV414
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For the record, I pulled the ad for the ED and decided to hold on.
FPV414 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2021, 02:39 PM   #349
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

The pricing is covid madness, people are impatient, imagine what the pricing will drop in a couple more years or so.
Will it though? Possibly.

I don't think it's just covid.
I mean the cars we talking about are finished, so there's that also.

And seeing as generally falcons weren't as popular also.

Either or interesting times ahead.
- Antz Turboside Intake
Old 27-04-2021, 02:55 PM   #350
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
Will it though? Possibly.

I don't think it's just covid.
I mean the cars we talking about are finished, so there's that also.

And seeing as generally falcons weren't as popular also.

Either or interesting times ahead.
yes agreed, could be or not.
Real Estate is an interesting one next to rising car values - What people are willing to pay and why ?

No OS travels - money saved per annun that used to burn.
Many Ex Pats have come home for safeties sake and job loss - buying home to live.
WFH - consultancy jobs, good pay.
The mention how many have pulled out Super $$$$.
Yes maybe the factory closures now have set in peoples minds is another small trigger.
I do think the way we have had to change our lives due to living through covid has contributed imo.
In the future values staying up and increasing or stabilise and drop ????
That is the crystal ball thought process - when and IF the Reserve Bank in the next 12mths and more decide there is an opportunity to increase Interest Rates will be the deal breaker.
In the meantime who ever sells and buys, enjoy I guess for tbh it defies logic in these strange times.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 01:45 PM   #351
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Turning over in my mind, the 06 Mk5 Golf I’ve been offered for $600 OBO.

Is it a prospect for flipping? I don’t see many with NSW rego under $2500.

Interior - got airbag/pretensioner light on, centre dash storage lid gone, door trims need new fabric and headliner has thumbtacks. Two original keys, two owners including present, books. Outside - one headlight needs buffing and sealing. Reg to 27/6, no concession, 221K, diesel, automatic, no smoke, no suspension noises or free play. Tyres legal and matched, alloys a bit rashed, silver paint has a number of minor scuffs and scrapes.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 01:56 PM   #352
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

Interior - got airbag/pretensioner light on, centre dash storage lid gone, door trims need new fabric and headliner has thumbtacks. Two original keys, two owners including present, books. Outside - one headlight needs buffing and sealing. Reg to 27/6, no concession, 221K, diesel, automatic, no smoke, no suspension noises or free play. Tyres legal and matched, alloys a bit rashed, silver paint has a number of minor scuffs and scrapes.
Will it pass rego as it stands? Try talk the seller down to $450 and worst case 600 isnt bad for anything with rego. If yes for passing rego, put 3 months on it, a lick of turd polish like a dodgey spray wax and maybe cheap floor mats. Put it up for 2k and if someone offers 1500, talk them up to 1750 and hey, you dont supply a warrenty...
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 01:57 PM   #353
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post

It'll depend on How much you need to Spend to get the RWC..
I would think..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 02:24 PM   #354
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
It'll depend on How much you need to Spend to get the RWC..
I would think..
In nsw a rego inspection, or atleast last one i got is $42. If the car is regoed in nsw already it doesnt need to be full on run over the pits like say the au i bought for my brother from the act. That needed a full inspection which cost a bit more to transfer the interstate rego to nsw rego. As a pink slip is a fixed price, mechanics make no profit on those inspections, so provided theres no structural or excessive rust, tyres are good, passes the brake test, important things like headlights and brake lights all work and theres no leaks or such, cars pass.
I was upfront last inspection, said im certain my car has an exhaust leak. And yes it failed. However i pointed out that i had a new exhaust in the boot, new gaskets and hardware too. So i paid the labour for the exhaust fitment on top. Was told brakes pass but are stuffed. I knew the brakes were shot, Subsequently have upgraded those. But for a car with existing rego in nsw, its not hard to keep them on the road. Its more difficult if rego has lapsed for more then 3 months.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2021, 02:46 PM   #355
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
In nsw a rego inspection, or atleast last one i got is $42. If the car is regoed in nsw already it doesnt need to be full on run over the pits like say the au i bought for my brother from the act. That needed a full inspection which cost a bit more to transfer the interstate rego to nsw rego. As a pink slip is a fixed price, mechanics make no profit on those inspections, so provided theres no structural or excessive rust, tyres are good, passes the brake test, important things like headlights and brake lights all work and theres no leaks or such, cars pass.

I Too live in N.S.W. & know only too well how the system Works..

The point I was trying to make was concerning the Cost of any(If required) Repairs needed to pass the R.W..C..??

I know they make S.F.A. out of the $42 Fee. But they do get to make a few Bucks out of any repairs ect they do..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-06-2021, 03:04 PM   #356
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I very occasionally moonlight at a place that does pink slips, it follows the model of “by the book” on unknown cars. So this would have to go by the book. I’d pick it for the hazed headlight, airbag light, haven’t checked wipers/washers or demist/AC. If they all pass, I can’t see why anything else should fail it.

But a question for the Facebook crowd, how cheap are the Mk5 Golfs really selling with 6 months NSW rego? Are they actually $1K cars?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2021, 12:18 PM   #357
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been watching the prices of genuine XW Fairmont V8's for a very long time.

I am still not confident I'll be able to afford what I want (grecian gold, factory 351) by the time I am 50 and still able to enjoy it. I am 35 now and long for the prices of the late 90's seeing them for under 10k in every unique cars magazine I could get my hands on.

Prices are easily north of 100K for immaculate factory V8 cars, north of 75k for clean V8 swapped cars and over 50k for even a 6 cyl beater that is still running.

Is there anyone who might like to hazard a guess as to when prices will soften enough to bring them back to a realistic classic car option? Is it a generational thing? will the early falcon stuff lose popularity as the current owners age and lose interest? Or will the values just keep rising?
calais is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2021, 01:41 PM   #358
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by calais View Post
I've been watching the prices of genuine XW Fairmont V8's for a very long time.

I am still not confident I'll be able to afford what I want (grecian gold, factory 351) by the time I am 50 and still able to enjoy it. I am 35 now and long for the prices of the late 90's seeing them for under 10k in every unique cars magazine I could get my hands on.

Prices are easily north of 100K for immaculate factory V8 cars, north of 75k for clean V8 swapped cars and over 50k for even a 6 cyl beater that is still running.

Is there anyone who might like to hazard a guess as to when prices will soften enough to bring them back to a realistic classic car option? Is it a generational thing? will the early falcon stuff lose popularity as the current owners age and lose interest? Or will the values just keep rising?
The problem I see is that Falcon and Monaro stuff has a limited audience being Australia/NZ/South Africa.

In 20-30 years time we're going to lose our baby boomer population who are the ones with nostalgia for those cars, who grew up with them.

They have no relevance outside of AUS/NZ/SA, they didn't feature in any popular movies ex Hollywood either.

Also consider availability and legislation in regards to internal combustion engine vehicles in 20 years time, will we still have unleaded available?

I reckon they'll drop in value.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2021, 01:54 PM   #359
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Yep, as Franco said there will be a generation and societal change. Eventually.

Seeing this in action at the moment. I've been getting involved with the Model T club, the family members, not through lack of caring, don't want or need the commitment as the old timers pass.
The cars are going relatively cheaply with the emphasis on them going to good homes and future, ongoing, club support.
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2021, 02:00 PM   #360
ebv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it will ease up a bit once international travel opens up
i'm hoping some young punk will flog his XR6t cheap so he can fund a trip to Thailand.
Once people are not prepared to pay as much, prices have to come down. may not be as cheap as they were but will be cheaper...
BA GT Mk1 #0009 - Narooma Blue
SY Ghia AWD
Black VZ LX8 Adventra
Holden HX 50th Anniversary
AU Saloon Car racecar
1980 GS1000ST - Wes Cooley Rep
ebv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post