Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 15-03-2006, 10:51 AM   #1
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

Default Elephant in the room

This is just too good not to share:
I used the old "Elephant in the Room" saying in another thread and thought I'd do a quick web search on it - found this:

The whole point of this is that humans bond through shared experiences and communications. You can't get close to people by dodging the delicate issues all the time; it is the shared experience of discussing those issues that allows people to get closer in the first place.

Yes, it is considered crass by many to discuss charged issues. And there are certainly some people that are so emotive and so charged that the last thing they should do is run around discussing issues that they feel impassioned about, at least until they learn self-control. But how do we learn self-control if we never exercise it, or avoid all situations where we're going to have to use it? So these situations where we feel strongly and yet disagree, are the exact places where we can grow in ourselves.

The Internet and newsgroups are interesting. Search out discussion groups and watch society go by with the gloves off. Since there are no consequences (like bloody noses or significant broken friendships and rifts), and no accountability for expressing views on forums, people suddenly have many more. Ironically, this allows for many of them to bond quicker to one another than in the real world; and I've seen strong e-friendships made by these cathartic rants, disagreements and common interests. Many become jaded by the experiences, but in a good way. Many net old timers have gone through the rant phase or the frustration phase, and can discuss many issues without getting hot and hostile towards others, and have learned not to take disagreements personally. They have desensitized themselves to disagreements, and have learned to separate ego from opinion.

So while I value the civility and restraint of the real-world, and would not try to completely take the muzzle off, I do think that we can learn to disagree without anger, fear or hate; but only if we practice. So let's as society practice, control ourselves, listen, learn and grow. And not be afraid to talk about the elephants in the room.

ZC-Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 03:31 PM   #2
eb_5litre
It'll Buff Out.

Who needs a hug?
Old 15-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #3
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by eb_5litre
Who needs a hug?
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Not me, I'm fine :-)
Old 15-03-2006, 08:40 PM   #4
myxr6
Banned

I think the tree in the front yard needs a hug.
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-03-2006, 09:00 PM   #5
ZC-Cruiser
The car's got pickup

The (coconut) tree in our front yard will be lucky to see the year out...