Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 30-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #1
sailaway

Default Worth its weight in Gold

Just had to boast how good my secondhand MC turned out to be.

Myself, mate and the Mondy returned home yesterday after completing a VIC > NSW > QLD > NSW > VIC tour of over 4,000klms without a single problem.

No oil used, no rattles and every tank of diesel delivering on average just over 1,200klms.

Mondy tackled Bondi, Circular Quay to Manly traffic like a dream and Mount Tamborine QLD in the wet like a rally car. (I was playing tour driver for OS friend)

Due to Newell Hwy being blocked by floods near Forbes yesterday it saw us doing about a thousand klms to get home after leaving Dubbo in the morning.

Comfortable high speed driving using Cruise Control made our trip very easy and cannot speak highly enough of the car.

PS: It is just a few hundred klms off having 230,000 clicks on the clock.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2016, 12:00 AM   #2
cobrin
Challenge Accepted!

Default Re: Worth its weight in Gold

Went for a drive Thursday with the family up the Kuranda Range to go back to Windy Hill up at Atherton Tablelands to see the wind turbines, haven't been there since the first born (had two more and the youngest turned five). Great location kids had a ball getting engaged with the technology and cows across the road. Lunch in Millaa Millaa and some absolutely gorgeous scenery. The new suspension is still giving smiles and putting the kids to sleep, wish I did it earlier than what I did. Stop in Innisfail then onwards to Cairns. winning...

Folks took their MD and man it looked good from the rearview mirror.

Not boring but this was the tame part:(not my pic)

Last edited by cobrin; 01-10-2016 at 12:13 AM.
cobrin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #3
sailaway

Sure looks loverly up that way as it normally does.

LOL The last car I had up there was a 1982 LTD back in 1993. A far cry from our Mondies but the old girl was dual fuel and cheap to run. Living at the time in Townsville I took visitor from Melb up through the Daintree and a tour through the Atherton Tablelands.

Eventually drove it back to Melb where it was attacked by metal mice and sold off. My fault neglecting it due to using company cars. ;-(

This trip due to all the rain the Hume Hwy and even the Newell Hwy were surrounded by green fields and contented livestock.
2010 Ford Mondeo Zetec TDCi Diesel

Colour: Frozen White
sailaway is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2016, 11:55 AM   #4
Binny

It's nice to hear a happy Mondeo story. We can all get tied up in the transmission stories and not stop to smell the roses sometimes. The Mondeo is a really underrated car.
While it won't win any races, its effortless torque, meaty steering and huge boot make it great for long trips.
Did a similar 3000+ trip the Christmas before last and it was awesome. Also did a 1000km trip towing our camper trailer and it was staying in 6th up hills that my falcon would change down to 3rd for and rev its tits off. And it averaged economy in the 7's while towing.
Old 05-10-2016, 08:11 PM   #5
V8kado
Mondeo Titanium Estate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binny View Post
It's nice to hear a happy Mondeo story. We can all get tied up in the transmission stories and not stop to smell the roses sometimes. The Mondeo is a really underrated car.
While it won't win any races, its effortless torque, meaty steering and huge boot make it great for long trips.
Did a similar 3000+ trip the Christmas before last and it was awesome. Also did a 1000km trip towing our camper trailer and it was staying in 6th up hills that my falcon would change down to 3rd for and rev its tits off. And it averaged economy in the 7's while towing.
Hey mate, do you have any pics of your Mondeo towing your camper trailer? I too have a camper trailer and Mondeo Tdci to tow with but have not had a chance to test it out just yet!

Would be interested in size, weight, how it towed ect. I'm coming off a Territory which handled the camper with ease. So very interested in how the Mondeo handles the weight.
Old 27-10-2016, 12:04 PM   #6
Binny

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8kado View Post
Hey mate, do you have any pics of your Mondeo towing your camper trailer? I too have a camper trailer and Mondeo Tdci to tow with but have not had a chance to test it out just yet!

Would be interested in size, weight, how it towed ect. I'm coming off a Territory which handled the camper with ease. So very interested in how the Mondeo handles the weight.
Sorry mate I saw this on my phone a while back and forgot to follow it up.

Our camper was a CUB Supamatic. It was only circa 500kg so towed ridiculously easy. Although our Honda CRV struggled with it up hills. The Mondy didn't even slow down up them at all.

I've actually towed a lot heavier stuff to the tip. 8x5 cage trailers full of building rubbish. The tip weighbridge showed over 2.6T for car and trailer. It noticed it but still amazing how a 2L can move all that weight so easy.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10734187_10204997951570842_5225810540427965822_n.jpg (104.7 KB, 31 views)
Old 31-10-2016, 03:48 PM   #7
manchu

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailaway View Post
Just had to boast how good my secondhand MC turned out to be.

. . tour of over 4,000klms without a single problem.

No oil used, no rattles and every tank of diesel delivering on average just over 1,200klms.
I just got back from a ~3500km family road trip which was the first real test of my new (used) MC mondeo wagon.

I only managed a measly 1100km or so per tank, but that was pretty fully loaded with wife, 2 small kids, dog and other stuff.

No trouble whatsoever.
manchu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-11-2016, 10:52 AM   #8
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes Manchu,
I think us wagon drivers suffer from the evils of aerodynamics.
And I'm sure if I took 5k's off the cruising speed it would help too ;-)
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post