Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Mercedes G-Class Squared. This is a BIG 4WD !!!!

https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/mer...class-squared/
"The guy with the jacked-up Toyota Tundra pantomimes snapping a photo, so I pull alongside and peer down, down, at his truck—which is an unusual perspective when you're next to a full-size pickup with 35-inch tires. I jump out and we both stand there gazing at the seven-foot-tall Bavarian Sasquatch drenched in highlighter-yellow paint and wearing German license plates. "Man," he says. "I never thought I'd live to see a jacked-up G-Wagen on Carolina Beach." Me neither. We definitely won't see two. Right now, this is the only Mercedes-Benz G500 4x42 on the continent.

You can buy a 4x42, or G-Squared, in Europe, Russia, the Middle East, and Japan. In early 2017, you'll be able to buy one in the United States. To find out what truck-savvy Americans think of it, I brought one to Carolina Beach, North Carolina. Here, every summer weekend is an unsanctioned off-road show as the four-wheel-drive crowd rolls out onto the sand for fishing, tailgating, and general mine-is-bigger-than-yours vehicular one-upmanship. It's the place to go for informed opinions about your truck.

The G-Squared is based on the wonderfully anachronistic G-Class—aka the G-Wagen, or Geländewagen. An original 1979 model doesn't look much different from a 2016, and that's on purpose. The G-Wagen remains eternally popular because of its purposeful, classic design. History and authenticity have their own appeal, especially when they're attached to a badass truck that comes with a twin-turbo V-8 and triple locking differentials standard."
http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars...gen-g-squared/

Last edited by csv8; 24-11-2016 at 10:24 AM.
csv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-10-2016, 02:18 PM   #2
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Default Re: Mercedes G-Class Squared. This is a BIG 4WD !!!!

In person they aren't all that imposing. A jacked up Toyota troop carrier with large wheels would have a similar effect and has utilitarian bodywork from the same era.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 02:37 PM   #3
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Would rather a Landrover Defender. The army did too. The G-Wagen is not popular and is quite useless.
Old 16-10-2016, 03:45 PM   #4
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Twin turbo v8 and triple locking diffs with a big lift and big tyres! All the patrol/land cruiser drivers would love to give destroying tracks a go with this just for something different.

Quick somebody tell 4wd Action Destruction.

Yeah defender would be better however like a lot of good models, they don't make them anymore.

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think "useless" is not really the word I would use to describe a 4x4 with front and rear lockers and portal axles.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2016, 05:32 PM   #6
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
I think "useless" is not really the word I would use to describe a 4x4 with front and rear lockers and portal axles.
Ask the Australian Army what they think of them.
Old 16-10-2016, 05:34 PM   #7
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
Nah don't really care to be honest with you. Would I have fun with it? You bet I would! Would I be able to take it on any trail I wanted to? Absolutely! Do I have the money for one of these bad boys? No I don't, so it really doesn't matter.

Last edited by chevypower; 16-10-2016 at 05:42 PM.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-10-2016, 12:41 AM   #8
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend has one of these, he lent it to me to go pull a friend out of the mud in the middle of nowhere. It's some special edition model that's apparently one of two in the country. Has no power steering and a 90's spec headunit in it. I'm not a euro hater but they're absolute crap to drive and very uncomfortable. You could build an extremely capable Toyota for the money and have plenty of change left over.
FG50T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2016, 01:13 AM   #9
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The specially built G-Class 4x4^2 has as mentioned above some custom configured portal axles, and these brand new vehicles would have all possible luxury (Not lacking power steering!). Typical customers for the 4x4^2 would be millionaires, and not ordinary people on a salary. There was always a big difference between the military spec G-wagen, and the civil ones. If your friend's G-wagen is lacking power steering it must be an early military spec? Back in my home country there used to be a couple of custom shops that modified G-wagens, bring in an old 1984 GD230 military spec, and get it back as a bad-as limousine with V8 engine, raised suspension etc, some of them sold to Saudi Arabia and other places around the world. (almost like the portal version now built by MB themselves), just that this has been going on by custom shops for over 25 years, before MB did the most powerful, highest, toughest one ever.
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2016, 12:07 PM   #10
cheap
Wirlankarra yanama

This is Germanys Hummer. It will be overpriced, very ordinary on road and rare to the point of having seen one Hummer in +20 years of off-roading actually off-road. 4x4's have moved on from this "hard core" market.
cheap is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2016, 02:45 PM   #11
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

It cool, i think most of you are forgetting that lol!
Old 17-10-2016, 04:03 PM   #12
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post
I love them, way nicer ride than the Rover and they have aircon to boot. We've got them everywhere we have needed to go, can't ask for more than that.
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post