Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-10-2016, 08:34 PM   #61
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Coincidence Increase in Mondeo Ads ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NX74205 View Post
Yes. As R12RT said, it's very useful for making phone calls on the run. Don't need to take hands off wheel or eye off the road to change the climate control temperature either. Very useful.

I defy you to drive one and not be impressed. The only thing it lacks is aural pleasure - it won't sound as good as the six. In the Falcon, the 2.0 EcoBoost is marginally quicker than the N/A six. In the Mondeo, it's quicker than my BF 4 speed, which in turn is quicker than your AU.

It ain't no slouch.
G'day..Never said I didn't like it ..i hope it does well but it will never be a great deal better car than a Falcon if that's FA's aim over time..Would help if they make it a real goer like the Turbo Falcon at some time though..Here's an article that you might like from 2015..
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/616...t-falcon...The comment on dinosaur six cylinder Falcon six is ridiculous.. If not for the six , Ford in this country may not have lasted as long as it did..Dinosaur it might be in some eyes but a lovable ,durable reliable and fun big bugger it certainly was..I 'defy' you to disagree with me on that point at least !!!!!!!!.. RE fuel use..This mob that tested it then was un impressed with it's economy..read that for yourself , don't take my word for it...
Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2016, 06:51 AM   #62
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes. As R12RT said, it's very useful for making phone calls on the run. Don't need to take hands off wheel or eye off the road to change the climate control temperature either. Very useful.

I defy you to drive one and not be impressed. The only thing it lacks is aural pleasure - it won't sound as good as the six. In the Falcon, the 2.0 EcoBoost is marginally quicker than the N/A six. In the Mondeo, it's quicker than my BF 4 speed, which in turn is quicker than your AU.

It ain't no slouch.
It is a different "animal" in the Falcon.Ford did a great job putting it into a RWD vehicle.And as I said earlier it is a far,far better handling one too.But if they had done these say,ten years ago it still would not have saved Ford.Cheers
Old 02-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #63
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12RT View Post
Ford will likely tell you that they haven't been pushing the Mondeo due to supply issues from the factory. I had to wait seven months for delivery of a Diesel Hatch.

When I took delivery of my car in early June a salesperson told me that they were expecting that supply of the Mondeo would free up in a few months. Cooincidentally about when Ford ceases manufacture of the Falcon.

I don't buy into the whole SUV concept. For my purpose I am unable to see their advantage over a vehicle like the Mondeo.
Must admit,I didn't "buy" into the "SUV" thing either,but...I sold a XR6 Ecolpi ute to buy a Qashqai never ever thought I would but there you go.But I still have a "traditional" sedan as well.And the Qashqai isn't half bad,well built & finished off certainly better than any Ford I have seen.These things are built in the UK where they "pump" out 1,200 a day!Cheers
Old 02-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #64
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

It's a shame that the Geelong designed CD4 Taurus wasn't considered for Australia.
With the right TTV6 engines, it would make a good replacement for XR6T, better than Mondeo.

As Mustang is showing, it's not about the volume as much as market penetration
with good continuing sales and high transaction prices. That's where Ford should
be looking - the niche buyer who will pay a decent price for vehicles that perform.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2016, 12:12 PM   #65
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
It's a shame that the Geelong designed CD4 Taurus wasn't considered for Australia.
With the right TTV6 engines, it would make a good replacement for XR6T, better than Mondeo.

As Mustang is showing, it's not about the volume as much as market penetration
with good continuing sales and high transaction prices. That's where Ford should
be looking - the niche buyer who will pay a decent price for vehicles that perform.
G'day...Truest words for sure.. It isn't possible but this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wr51pqt8oy4 would certainly lift the spirits of all us Ford owners who like something other than a glorified shopping trolley.. I hope Mondeo head down this way for us with a somewhat similar power plant and drivetrain..We can dream...Cheers Rod
Old 02-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #66
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day...Wouldn't this make the Mondeo get up and boogie....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jExV7N9U0k ..
Imagine a Mondeo winning Bathurst with one of these...
Cheers Rod..
Old 02-10-2016, 01:50 PM   #67
R12RT

There is already a twin turbocharged AWD version of the Fusion producing 325hp available in the US. Would traditional buyers of V8's see this car as a replacement for their much loved V8? I think V8's have an appeal that can't be replaced by a turbo 4 or 6.

This car is really aimed at buyers who would otherwise consider a high performance BMW or Audi but are baulking at the price of the Europeans.

Certainly, I chose the Mondeo because it is better value than so called prestige Euro brands such as BMW, Audi, or Mercedes. But then I'm not really badge conscious.

Ford Australia have the challenge to convince the car buying public that the Mondeo is a viable alternative to the Camry and the Mazda6.
R12RT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2016, 02:03 PM   #68
BLACKVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by R12RT View Post
Ford will likely tell you that they haven't been pushing the Mondeo due to supply issues from the factory. I had to wait seven months for delivery of a Diesel Hatch.
Correct, ford have changed a bit now, they like orders to be placed for cars rather than sitting in yards. wait time are longer

Misses runs her work fleet 200+ and they have deal with ford(gold or platinum etc) but some wait times for rangers and mondoes are extreme 7 months plus
BLACKVE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-10-2016, 04:50 PM   #69
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

R12T..Fusion Sport..http://www.autoblog.com/2016/01/11/2...oit-auto-show/
Old 02-10-2016, 06:56 PM   #70
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
G'day.. Thanks interesting read ..I ought to know this but the Fusion is essentially the US version of Mondeo is it ?
If so , and given Australia's motoring tastes are much more akin to U.S. tastes than smaller capacity European engines is the 2.7 litre V6 AWD drivetrain not feasible at some stage as an option to the diesel and current petrol power for the RHD Mondeo..
A bit of market research may find that once Falcon is actually no more (all too soon now) that even a small V6 ecoboost might be more palatable than the 2.0 4 cylinder front wheel drive..
Does anyone think that any of that will ever be considered for a tiny congested market like ours.. I seriously doubt it..Love to be wrong though..
Cheers Rod...
Old 02-10-2016, 10:01 PM   #71
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Roddy. Fusion is the Mondeo. Maybe Australia should use the Fusion name? And Escape on Kuga, as in USA??
Old 03-10-2016, 03:06 AM   #72
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
G'day..Never said I didn't like it ..i hope it does well but it will never be a great deal better car than a Falcon if that's FA's aim over time..Would help if they make it a real goer like the Turbo Falcon at some time though..Here's an article that you might like from 2015..
http://www.themotorreport.com.au/616...t-falcon...The comment on dinosaur six cylinder Falcon six is ridiculous.. If not for the six , Ford in this country may not have lasted as long as it did..Dinosaur it might be in some eyes but a lovable ,durable reliable and fun big bugger it certainly was..I 'defy' you to disagree with me on that point at least !!!!!!!!.. RE fuel use..This mob that tested it then was un impressed with it's economy..read that for yourself , don't take my word for it...
Cheers Rod..
"Better" is subjective, and it really depends on what you're using it for. I didn't buy Falcons for performance, I bought them for its long distance cruising ability and effortless low end power. On that basis, Mondeo runs rings around the Falcon and adds a degree of refinement, technology and plushness that the Falcon simply can't match. In terms of the purposes for which I use the Falcon is concerned, the Mondeo has got it covered easily.

As much as I love the Barra engine in my BF, objectively speaking the 2.0 EcoBoost beats it in just about every way that matters. The Barra sounds better, but that's about it. 2.0 EcoBoost feels quicker: once the turbo spools up, it can be deceptively quick, and because it's so quiet, it'll reach illegal speeds before I know it. It won't match the turbo six or the V8, but it's got the N/A six's performance covered.

Yes, in my experience, it uses more fuel than the claimed 8.5L/100 (I get around 10.5), but it's still less than the 12.0L/100 I'm regularly getting in the BF, driving roughly the same city routes (I use each car on alternate days). Then again, maybe it's just because I have a lead foot.

Quote:
G'day.. Thanks interesting read ..I ought to know this but the Fusion is essentially the US version of Mondeo is it ?
The Fusion is based on the same platform and shares most body panels, but whereas the Mondeo is hatch or wagon only, Fusion is sedan only.

Quote:
If so , and given Australia's motoring tastes are much more akin to U.S. tastes than smaller capacity European engines
Disagree with that completely. Just look at how many European cars are sold - downsized turbo engines and all - compared with American cars with large capacity engines.

Quote:
A bit of market research may find that once Falcon is actually no more (all too soon now) that even a small V6 ecoboost might be more palatable than the 2.0 4 cylinder front wheel drive.
Ok, here's some market research: if Ford brought the Mondeo ST to Australia (as is rumoured), with the 2.7 V6, would you buy a new one?

There's a rumour floating around that there may be a Mondeo ST in the next couple of years, but even if that is proven to be true, I'm not convinced that they'll put the 2.7 into it. I personally think it's more likely to get the Focus RS's 2.3. 325hp in the 2.7 is 242kW. Focus RS's 2.3 already has more power than it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post
Roddy. Fusion is the Mondeo. Maybe Australia should use the Fusion name? And Escape on Kuga, as in USA??
I would strongly disagree with that. Mondeo has earned a reputation as being a fun to drive mid sized family car. Fusion means absolutely nothing here. North America is the only market in which the car is known as 'Fusion'.

Escape, on the other hand, has a history here, so I wouldn't be as opposed to that, but the TF is a Kuga developed primarily by Ford of Europe. It has nothing in common with Escapes of the past.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2016, 07:59 AM   #73
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"Better" is subjective, and it really depends on what you're using it for. I didn't buy Falcons for performance, I bought them for its long distance cruising ability and effortless low end power. On that basis, Mondeo runs rings around the Falcon and adds a degree of refinement, technology and plushness that the Falcon simply can't match. In terms of the purposes for which I use the Falcon is concerned, the Mondeo has got it covered easily.

As coBoost beats it in just about every way that matters. The Barra sounds better, but that's about it. 2.0 EcoBoost feels quicker: once the turbo spools up, it can be deceptively quick, and because it's so quiet, it'll reach illegal speeds much as I love the Barra engine in my BF, objectively speaking the 2.0 Ebefore I know it. It won't match the turbo six or the V8, but it's got the N/A six's performance covered.

Yes, in my experience, it uses more fuel than the claimed 8.5L/100 (I get around 10.5), but it's still less than the 12.0L/100 I'm regularly getting in the BF, driving roughly the same city routes (I use each car on alternate days). Then again, maybe it's just because I have a lead foot.

The Fusion is based on the same platform and shares most body panels, but whereas the Mondeo is hatch or wagon only, Fusion is sedan only.

Disagree with that completely. Just look at how many European cars are sold - downsized turbo engines and all - compared with American cars with large capacity engines.

Ok, here's some market research: if Ford brought the Mondeo ST to Australia (as is rumoured), with the 2.7 V6, would you buy a new one?

There's a rumour floating around that there may be a Mondeo ST in the next couple of years, but even if that is proven to be true, I'm not convinced that they'll put the 2.7 into it. I personally think it's more likely to get the Focus RS's 2.3. 325hp in the 2.7 is 242kW. Focus RS's 2.3 already has more power than it.

I would strongly disagree with that. Mondeo has earned a reputation as being a fun to drive mid sized family car. Fusion means absolutely nothing here. North America is the only market in which the car is known as 'Fusion'.

Escape, on the other hand, has a history here, so I wouldn't be as opposed to that, but the TF is a Kuga developed primarily by Ford of Europe. It has nothing in common with Escapes of the past.
Yup,have to agree,they did a fantastic job putting this motor into Falcon(in my opinion it is far better suited to Falcon than Mondeo)(Falcon being RWD.)
The I6 was past it's use by date(fantastic engine) non Euro emissions compliant.Ecoboost is the way forward for Ford.Cheers
Old 03-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #74
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day Hackney and all....I get your point but I also have to say this.. When I mean we're more akin to the USA I mean that in the sense that we have a
(dare I say) Muscle car liking that has existed at least since the 1960's if not longer.. I know smaller capacity engines are capable of terrific performance but there's no excitement factor talking about them in the same way us oldies talk about the 351 Clevo's , Windsors , 302's the stroked Ticky's, Coyote/Miami , the Barra nowadays , and Holden go with the 308's ,350's, 327's etc.. I know bread and butter sales of a sportier performance car after Falcon , Commodore etc.. will never happen but they never have before either. FPV's , Tickford and HSV's etc were special builds as we all know but set apart from the bog standard model released by the manufacturer.

.It'd be a limited market needing to be integrated in with the standard fare here and there but it'd be nice to think that if you really want one it's possible..

THIS MAY WELL CHANGE....Once cars powered by our much loved old heavy petrol guzzlers are much thinner on the ground , a new breed of cars we want to talk about , drive , do up and take to car shows might happen.

My only fear is that the car as we know it will be JUST a conveyance , nothing more..
If there is a sporty or special model of any Ford , Holden , Toyota , etc etc..it'd be a little hint of our heritage..We need something to get excited about for a while yet..
The Mondeo Titanium with a 2.7 litre V6 might be the start IF that was a mechanically possible option at some stage...Who knows...
Cheers Rod..

Last edited by roddy1960; 03-10-2016 at 09:58 AM.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:39 PM   #75
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
THIS MAY WELL CHANGE....Once cars powered by our much loved old heavy petrol guzzlers are much thinner on the ground , a new breed of cars we want to talk about , drive , do up and take to car shows might happen.

My only fear is that the car as we know it will be JUST a conveyance , nothing more..
If there is a sporty or special model of any Ford , Holden , Toyota , etc etc..it'd be a little hint of our heritage..We need something to get excited about for a while yet..
The Mondeo Titanium with a 2.7 litre V6 might be the start IF that was a mechanically possible option at some stage...Who knows...
Cheers Rod..
The way I see it, though, taking a perfectly well balanced car and putting too much engine in it isn't the way to make a performance car. There's more to "fun to drive" than displacement; it's also about chassis balance and handling. My view is that the Mondeo doesn't need the 2.7 V6 when the 2.3 four from the Focus RS is more than capable of turning the car into a rocket; likewise, you don't need a 4.0 N/A in-line six to get respectable acceleration figures when a 2.0 turbo four performs just as competently (if not more so).

Not all small/mid sized cars are the same. Yes, some are mere conveyances - I've had the misfortune of having a Holden Malibu as a rental for a while, and if ever there's a car that's more boring than a Camry, the Malibu is it. At the other end of the scale, you have the Mondeo - a well balanced, (relatively) quick, fun to drive car that seats four in reasonable comfort, and has a massive boot to ... boot.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-10-2016, 05:49 PM   #76
hackney
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The way I see it, though, taking a perfectly well balanced car and putting too much engine in it isn't the way to make a performance car. There's more to "fun to drive" than displacement; it's also about chassis balance and handling. My view is that the Mondeo doesn't need the 2.7 V6 when the 2.3 four from the Focus RS is more than capable of turning the car into a rocket; likewise, you don't need a 4.0 N/A in-line six to get respectable acceleration figures when a 2.0 turbo four performs just as competently (if not more so).

Not all small/mid sized cars are the same. Yes, some are mere conveyances - I've had the misfortune of having a Holden Malibu as a rental for a while, and if ever there's a car that's more boring than a Camry, the Malibu is it. At the other end of the scale, you have the Mondeo - a well balanced, (relatively) quick, fun to drive car that seats four in reasonable comfort, and has a massive boot to ... boot.
One thing you can't accuse Ford of is boring vehicle's unlike "Oh What a Feeling".
Old 03-10-2016, 06:35 PM   #77
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hackney View Post
One thing you can't accuse Ford of is boring vehicle's unlike "Oh What a Feeling".
G'day
TOO RIGHT , AMEN and THANK THE HEAVENS ABOVE for that fact..
Oh What a Feelings are as exciting as watching grass grow...Cheers Rod
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #78
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My view is that the Mondeo doesn't need the 2.7 V6 when the 2.3 four from the Focus RS is more than capable of turning the car into a rocket; likewise, you don't need a 4.0 N/A in-line six to get respectable acceleration figures when a 2.0 turbo four performs just as competently (if not more so).

You only have to look at the big Ford Explorer specs off the Us website . the mid range model use the 2.3 ecoboost above the 3.5 V6 n/a
http://www.ford.com/suvs/explorer/models/

and I know it doesn't need it but doesn't the 2.7 ecoboost sport look good.
http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/models/

I note they are pushing Hybrids, something I haven't even looked at.
who would have thought the Americans are leaving us for dead with tech
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2016, 12:50 PM   #79
monzie

I'am waiting for the next Mondeo add, you know, the one with the Mondeo spinning around with weights attached by chains front and rear.
Old 04-10-2016, 02:31 PM   #80
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevsta007 View Post
and I know it doesn't need it but doesn't the 2.7 ecoboost sport look good.
http://www.ford.com/cars/fusion/models/
Even if the 2.3 EcoBoost has more power than the 2.7? Focus RS has 257kW. Fusion Sport has 325hp which equals 242kW.

To be honest, if I were in North America and shopping for a Fusion, I'd rather have the Platinum than the Sport (incidentally, I wish Ford has brought the Mondeo Vignale here - too late for me now, though).
Old 04-10-2016, 04:35 PM   #81
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even if the 2.3 EcoBoost has more power than the 2.7? Focus RS has 257kW. Fusion Sport has 325hp which equals 242kW.

To be honest, if I were in North America and shopping for a Fusion, I'd rather have the Platinum than the Sport (incidentally, I wish Ford has brought the Mondeo Vignale here - too late for me now, though).
The Focus RS engine is a bit special, in comparison the same engine has 230KW in the mustang or 209KW in the explorer. tuning?

the 2.7 ecoboost also has various outputs but has a few more torques than the 2.3.

both. are awesome
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post