Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-07-2016, 10:16 PM   #1
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

Default Ford Expedition - recent trip to the US

On our recent family holiday to the US, we hired a Ford Expedition... and what a machine it is!

This SUV rivals almost any European SUV, with more than enough features (heated/cooling seats, electric tailgate, blind spot monitoring), power (six cylinder auto) and handling.

They cruise like a SUV and have plenty of boot when you put your foot down.

As soon as we came back, i looked up to see if any Expeditions were for sale in the used car market, but no luck. Doesn't look like anyone has converted them to RHD before.

These SUV's will rival the Nissan Patrol, Toyota Landcruiser and the European cars; all which sell (in small numbers) in Australia.

The size didn't bother us; after a few days it felt car-like and the wife had no issues driving.

Does anyone know if they were converted locally, or ever imported as a right hand drive?

Last edited by carwant.com.au; 04-03-2017 at 07:22 PM.
carwant.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-07-2016, 10:51 PM   #2
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford Expedition - recent trip to the US

I have definitely seen at least one for sale on CarSales before. It was a few years ago and it was a right hand drive. Can't remember the price but it wasn't completely unreasonable if you look at the price of a 200 Land Cruiser.

I like big American SUV's. Don't see enough on our roads.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2016, 10:56 PM   #3
KBC

The only way you will get one is to import one through a RAW. These should be able to be found on states department of transport website. I tried to get a Excursion, the predecessor to the Expedition but it was impossible unless I went through a RAW. I had my eye on a low mile 7.3 Excursion for $18k with $6.5k shipping. I had someone lined up to purchase all the RH drive components and convert it myself. I have done conversions in the past so that would not be a problem. After trying to find a way to import it and get it all done myself I succumbed to the fact it could only be done by a RAW. I called one that was registered on the site and they wanted $36k just for the conversion + car + importing. I gave up and bought a Suburban instead. If you are asking why, this is because living in the Pilbara at the time with 7 kids I wanted a 9 seater 4X4.
I did see a expedition for sale RH drive in WA when I was looking for a excursion for sale.
Good luck with your search
XD Fairmont 5.8
XB GS Coupe, no engine, future project
VG Transit, AU 5.0
TC Cortina ute, finish 1 day

I need to find a hobby
KBC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-07-2016, 11:00 PM   #4
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the dashboard layout it looks like they had RHD in mind.

CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2016, 11:45 AM   #5
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBC View Post
The only way you will get one is to import one through a RAW. These should be able to be found on states department of transport website. I tried to get a Excursion, the predecessor to the Expedition but it was impossible unless I went through a RAW. I had my eye on a low mile 7.3 Excursion for $18k with $6.5k shipping. I had someone lined up to purchase all the RH drive components and convert it myself. I have done conversions in the past so that would not be a problem. After trying to find a way to import it and get it all done myself I succumbed to the fact it could only be done by a RAW. I called one that was registered on the site and they wanted $36k just for the conversion + car + importing. I gave up and bought a Suburban instead. If you are asking why, this is because living in the Pilbara at the time with 7 kids I wanted a 9 seater 4X4.
I did see a expedition for sale RH drive in WA when I was looking for a excursion for sale.
Good luck with your search
It's a fair chunk of coin for a conversion, however I can only imagine how many hours are involved
Old 24-07-2016, 11:49 AM   #6
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
With the dashboard layout it looks like they had RHD in mind.

I thought the same when we were driving around. It's a shame they couldn't hit other RHD markets to make the business case justified.
Old 24-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #7
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBC View Post
I tried to get a Excursion, the predecessor to the Expedition
It's not the predecessor, Expedition is F150 derived, Excursion Super Duty derived. Both were on sale 1999-2005.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2016, 12:14 PM   #8
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

Looks cool, would love one of them or an Excursion
Old 24-07-2016, 04:07 PM   #9
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All-new Expedition on the way with aluminium body, 10-speed auto, and possibly an optional 3.0 V6 Lion diesel that Ford developed for Land Rover.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2016, 10:31 PM   #10
KBC

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV GTHO View Post
It's not the predecessor, Expedition is F150 derived, Excursion Super Duty derived. Both were on sale 1999-2005.
Taken from wiki "the Excursion was largely replaced as Ford introduced the Ford Expedition EL (Expedition Max in Canada and Mexico). As with its namesake, the Expedition EL/Max is based upon the Ford F-150."
XD Fairmont 5.8
XB GS Coupe, no engine, future project
VG Transit, AU 5.0
TC Cortina ute, finish 1 day

I need to find a hobby
KBC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2016, 12:06 PM   #11
malazn mafia
Boss 335

If you're not prejudiced against Government Motors, the Chevrolet Tahoe and Cadillac Escalade are worth a look. Amazing cruisers, and seen a few floating around Australia. They cost a pretty penny though. Stateside they are only $60k brand new.
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-09-2016, 09:26 PM   #12
ZGM86

I'd be all over one of these or an Escalade (instead of the Territory) if they were available at a reasonable price here. Love the look, love the size, love the engine options, and it would meet my needs to a tee.
1978 TE Cortina GL wagon
1955 FJ Holden Special

Car History: 1974 ZG Fairlane 500, 1973 ZG Fairlane 500, 07 SY Territory TX, 1975 Ford F100, 2001 AU2 Falcon XR8 220, 2005 BA RTV, 1997 EL Falcon XR6, 1981 WB Holden pano, 1990 DA LTD, 1992 EB Falcon GLi wagon, 1984 XF Falcon GL wagon, 1976 TD Cortina XL wagon, 1974 TC Cortina XL sedan
ZGM86 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2016, 09:25 AM   #13
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

G'day all..A friend of mine has just recently returned from Stateside. They rented a couple of different cars and traveled in SUV type taxis too . He said that one thing that surprsed him was how well they rode and how much like a car they were. The Escalade was one of them. He knows his stuff too because he has an XB GT , 65 Galaxie , 73 Lincoln Continental , Grand Cherokee and is restoring a P76 , has a beaut F series truck too and is a mechanic by trade..Wouldn't surprise me if the Expedition wasn't pretty darn decent , especially the late model ones.
Talking about some 'murrucans' though..not all thankfully , here's what happened on a U.S. based forum i was on a year or two back..
I pointed out about our beloved 4.0 litre inline 6 . One of the responses was "No buddy , you mean the V6 don't you " Of course I explained to him about the I6 that has nothing to do with the 4.0 V6 that Explorers etc ran.,Couldn't convince the twit that we were indeed capable of producing our own engine and not a 'V' either.. He didn't believe me and when I added that there was a V8 munching Turbo version too I'm sure he didn't believe me. Hope he took the time to look it up for himself . On the Duratech (i think) Ford V6 , does anyone here owned or driven one. Like to know what you thought of them. Cheers Rod..
roddy1960 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-09-2016, 05:56 PM   #14
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Currently in the states and decided to try an Explorer. The thing has come a long way since the dowdy 90s exploder. Them damned Yankees definitely plagiarized the Territory design language from 2004, and evolved it enough to keep it current. Really a testament to the work of Geoff Polites and his team more than a decade ago. The stuff Ford USA was designing throughout the 90s, right till that time really stank and looked just incoherent and clunky. The interior is a generation ahead of SZ territory and very unamerican, you could swear it was designed by Australians. Drives and steers very well, as good as an SZ Territory. The only thing wrong is lack of power, about on par with an SZ petrol 4.0, but needs more revs go get moving. Seems they don't offer the mustang v8 option like in the late 90s Exploder, which is a shame. If Ford USA could release the Exploder down under with the Police Interceptor bodywork and a 5.0 Miami V8, they could be forgiven. And only if it's a real one made in USA, not a toy one made in Thailand ...

Last edited by malazn mafia; 10-09-2016 at 06:02 PM.
Old 10-09-2016, 10:22 PM   #15
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

We had a great time in the Expedition. It felt more car like, in terms of its comfort level, features and even its power (wasn't a V8).
Old 11-09-2016, 12:45 AM   #16
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Currently in the states and decided to try an Explorer. The thing has come a long way since the dowdy 90s exploder. Them damned Yankees definitely plagiarized the Territory design language from 2004, and evolved it enough to keep it current. Really a testament to the work of Geoff Polites and his team more than a decade ago. The stuff Ford USA was designing throughout the 90s, right till that time really stank and looked just incoherent and clunky. The interior is a generation ahead of SZ territory and very unamerican, you could swear it was designed by Australians. Drives and steers very well, as good as an SZ Territory. The only thing wrong is lack of power, about on par with an SZ petrol 4.0, but needs more revs go get moving. Seems they don't offer the mustang v8 option like in the late 90s Exploder, which is a shame. If Ford USA could release the Exploder down under with the Police Interceptor bodywork and a 5.0 Miami V8, they could be forgiven. And only if it's a real one made in USA, not a toy one made in Thailand ...
But everyone thought the Territory and the Freestyle were really similar. But it's all Ford, you can't really plagiarize from yourself. The Explorer Sport and 2.3 EcoBoost have plenty of power. Ford should offer the 2.7EB in it as an option on everything below the Sport and Platinum.
Old 11-09-2016, 12:48 AM   #17
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Spy pics of the 2018 Expedition. I think it looks like it shares the Explorer grille.
http://www.autoblog.com/2016/09/06/2...ish-navigator/
Old 11-09-2016, 02:45 AM   #18
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
But everyone thought the Territory and the Freestyle were really similar. But it's all Ford, you can't really plagiarize from yourself. The Explorer Sport and 2.3 EcoBoost have plenty of power. Ford should offer the 2.7EB in it as an option on everything below the Sport and Platinum.
When Geoff Polites presented the territory design to the Yankee boys, they were so impressed they redesigned the Freestyle to look like the scale model territory. The original freestyle concept looked nothing like a territory.
3 users like this post:
Old 11-09-2016, 09:57 AM   #19
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've done a lot of miles in Minnesota in a relatives Escalade thats a few years old and it was comfortable enough, but the small V8 struggled with the weight and so guzzled fuel. His Lexus 4WD was a much better car. He's now traded the Escalade on a Denali but I haven't heard how he likes it so far.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2016, 02:49 PM   #20
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I've done a lot of miles in Minnesota in a relatives Escalade thats a few years old and it was comfortable enough, but the small V8 struggled with the weight and so guzzled fuel. His Lexus 4WD was a much better car. He's now traded the Escalade on a Denali but I haven't heard how he likes it so far.
Escalade comes with a 6.2, can't imagine that would be a "struggle." Even the 5.3 doesn't struggle in the Suburban, but its lack of low-end torque makes it feel very ordinary. The EcoBoost V6 in the Expedition feels like it has plenty of power all around.
Old 12-09-2016, 03:08 PM   #21
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The one I drove had the LM7 295 hp engine and weighing 5800 lbs + 6 passengers and luggage, and it was very ordinary, I can assure you.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2016, 03:50 PM   #22
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
Escalade comes with a 6.2, can't imagine that would be a "struggle." Even the 5.3 doesn't struggle in the Suburban, but its lack of low-end torque makes it feel very ordinary. The EcoBoost V6 in the Expedition feels like it has plenty of power all around.
Is that the VE SS motor or a derivative of it? Makes all the right noises but is very ordinary. The weight and size of the Escalade musn't benefit at all, the vehicle itself is a behemoth and makes a landcruiser look like a Rav4.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #23
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
The one I drove had the LM7 295 hp engine and weighing 5800 lbs + 6 passengers and luggage, and it was very ordinary, I can assure you.
Well that's a really old 5.3 with a 4 speed, and not a lot of power by today's standards - so yeah no wonder. Current 6.2 with 420hp and the 8 speed will get up and scoot. Even the new 5.3 with direct injection isn't bad.
Old 12-09-2016, 04:14 PM   #24
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
Is that the VE SS motor or a derivative of it? Makes all the right noises but is very ordinary. The weight and size of the Escalade musn't benefit at all, the vehicle itself is a behemoth and makes a landcruiser look like a Rav4.
A quick Google search (verified by Cadillac and Toyota US websites) puts the Land Cruiser and Escalade right at 5800 lbs (2600 Kg). Escalade ESV (longer version) adds only 200lb.