Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 28-04-2016, 08:17 PM   #1
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

the hut you can see in the pic is the free bbq. it has lighting so can be used at night and also a 240v power outlet. just out of shot to the left is another hut the same with table and chairs and a large double sink. its only cold water and it is drinkable but they recommend using your own water for drinking if you have it.

we did use the bbq once when our burner died temporarily, but otherwise we only used the toilets and were self contained for the rest. it was nice knowing you had the back up if needed though.

now the search begins for next time this was a nice spot, but once you have done the caves and all the walk tracks, there really isn't that much to do. the caves are quite pricey as well, so if we returned they would probably be off the table, so it really is a sort of once only type spot, and sort of explains why it was pretty low key and most campers only stayed for one or 2 nights.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 01:52 PM   #2
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
now the search begins for next time this was a nice spot, but once you have done the caves and all the walk tracks, there really isn't that much to do. the caves are quite pricey as well, so if we returned they would probably be off the table, so it really is a sort of once only type spot, and sort of explains why it was pretty low key and most campers only stayed for one or 2 nights.
If you like bush camping with a bit of comfort for the girls, i cannot recommend Mambray Creek highly enough.

Seriously, its only a 2.5 hour drive north of Adelaide, has excellent camping facilities, plenty to do even for the novice, some of the shorter walks provide the best views. We usually head up in the mid year school holidays when the creek that runs right through the camp ground is flowing.

Roo's, Emu's and these huge goanna things are everywhere and will come over for a look, our kids loved it.

Its only a half hour drive to Pt Pirie or Pt Augusta if you want to get some supplies or to take in some local sites etc.

Do some research, you wont be sorry.

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/par...-national-park

http://www.gocampingaustralia.com/mambray-creek.html
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-04-2016, 03:12 PM   #3
prydey
Rob

I have a work colleague who has been going on about mambray creek. It does sound good.
Old 29-04-2016, 03:18 PM   #4
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
If you like bush camping with a bit of comfort for the girls, i cannot recommend Mambray Creek highly enough.
Nice spot, and if you like hiking, the trek up Mt Remarkable is well worth the effort (we camped at the top many years ago).
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 04:39 PM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

It truely is an awesome place, sort of right on the Goyder line so the northern part of the park is arid whilst the Mambray Creek end is lush and cool.

The facilities are second only to Wilpena when talking N.P.
We always keep well away from the amenities block, over by the creek so its really tranquil, but you can camp 5mtrs from the shower door if you prefer.
Talking about showers, 2 hot showers for each sex, open air so you can discuss your plans for the day with the local birdlife as you take your morning shower.
There's plenty of drinking water around the camp ground and free bbq's up by the trail heads means you never find yourself without the essentials.

The sites vary in terrain, some are flat gravel and others are rocky and uneven, theres plenty to chose from so you wont have too many issues.
Many have fire drums with swing away grill and plate right next to them, we bring $50 of mallee and redgum from my local garden centre with us for 3 nights, the fire never goes out and we use the plate/grill provided for everything from making a cuppa to bacon and eggs. just give em a scrub and away you go again.

Theres heaps to do, from the campground you can head towards the highway and check out the grave yard, the old ruins and follow the info trail along the creek line or you can head up through the gorge and on to a number of different locations all within 2-3hr walk, the scenery is breathtaking, i recommend the Battery ridge as it gives you 180* views of the whole gulf, then back through Hidden Gorge, though it is a good days walk so consider your fitness before venturing too far.
Having said that, none of it is beyond the average person, take plenty of water and a jacket, conditions change continually.

You can also make a day trip of it and head around to the northern part of the park via Wilmington through Horrocks Pass, there you can make your way to the Alligator Gorge carpark and explore Alligator Gorge below, its worth a look.

Sorry, i could go on for hours about the place.
2 users like this post:
Old 29-04-2016, 09:20 PM   #6
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I go out to spots that their is no amenities and have a dirt bike to get right out wop wop.
We are on speaking terms with the Yowie, Mick first met him 30 years ago not to mention Mick has been mistaken for a Yowie himself and even been called a silver back on job sights.
I take out as little as need be and sleep in my ute as it's up out of the ticks and snakes and the crocks can't get ya.
Mick and myself were right out in the scrub once and we heard the strange noise growling, never herd nothing like it, but it was not keen on us being their near a water hole in the creek, probably a bunyip, we were not to keen on finding out ether without a gun and that far out best not bother, but we cant get out there anymore because the scrub is to over grown now and even other places we have ridden up to, other people will not go in out of fear, it's great I bring fishing line and just roll it out so we can find our way back, you can't see the sun and the wind in the trees is magic not to mention the places we have seen that spin you out.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2016, 09:48 PM   #7
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by castellan View Post
I go out to spots that their is no amenities and have a dirt bike to get right out wop wop.
We are on speaking terms with the Yowie, Mick first met him 30 years ago not to mention Mick has been mistaken for a Yowie himself and even been called a silver back on job sights.
I take out as little as need be and sleep in my ute as it's up out of the ticks and snakes and the crocks can't get ya.
Mick and myself were right out in the scrub once and we heard the strange noise growling, never herd nothing like it, but it was not keen on us being their near a water hole in the creek, probably a bunyip, we were not to keen on finding out ether without a gun and that far out best not bother, but we cant get out there anymore because the scrub is to over grown now and even other places we have ridden up to, other people will not go in out of fear, it's great I bring fishing line and just roll it out so we can find our way back, you can't see the sun and the wind in the trees is magic not to mention the places we have seen that spin you out.
Ahh, the old Bunyip, everyone loves a good Bunyip story around the campfire.
Well, everyone except the little kiddies, they just **** themselves and hang on to ya leg for the rest of the night.

I must agree though, the best camping has no amenities. Nothing like roughing it in the bush, although, you really dont need to go too far to feel like a pioneer, just have to know where to go.

Theres a few places i take the kayak where you would swear you were 100 miles from nowhere yet are no further than a days paddle from town.
Old 29-04-2016, 09:52 PM   #8
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Ahh, the old Bunyip, everyone loves a good Bunyip story around the campfire.
Well, everyone except the little kiddies, they just **** themselves and hang on to ya leg for the rest of the night.
we had a possum making a racket near us one night. it had a laugh that would have rivalled john jarret from wolf creek. it was disturbing.
Old 29-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
prydey
Rob

Quote:
The sites vary in terrain, some are flat gravel and others are rocky and uneven, theres plenty to chose from so you wont have too many issues.
just having a quick browse through on the booking site, it gives a small picture of each campsite.

are any grass? or are they all gravel for caravans/campers etc? i know they say suitable for tents, but it looks like they are all compacted gravel, or dirt. have you ever pitched a tent on these? do the pegs go in ok?

not looking to camp again until next school holidays at the earliest, but i'd be tempted to go for a drive one weekend just to check it out, before blindly booking online. i guess once you have been once or twice you get a feel for the layout, but for a first timer, its a bit tough trying to choose a good spot.
Old 29-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #10
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
just having a quick browse through on the booking site, it gives a small picture of each campsite.

are any grass? or are they all gravel for caravans/campers etc? i know they say suitable for tents, but it looks like they are all compacted gravel, or dirt. have you ever pitched a tent on these? do the pegs go in ok?

not looking to camp again until next school holidays at the earliest, but i'd be tempted to go for a drive one weekend just to check it out, before blindly booking online. i guess once you have been once or twice you get a feel for the layout, but for a first timer, its a bit tough trying to choose a good spot.
There's not really any grass sites, the sites around the amenities are all gravel, the ones closer to the entrance are a bit rougher, just looking at your tent, you wont have any trouble putting it up on most sites.

Although it doesnt have grassy sites, the whole area is lush and green in the cooler months so it certainly isnt a dust bowl.
Weve been in the warmer months and it gets dry and the river stops flowing so its not as nice, the mid year holidays are perfect, weather permitting.

I've pitched tents and put up the camper trailer tent there, some rocks in places, just have a few strong pegs in your kit, i go to my local steel mart and buy steel rod, then i cut it down and sharpen them up, they go through anything, best to take a good hammer or mallet though.

If you go to the bottom of the Mt Remarkable main page you'll find brochure links. One of them shows the Mambray creek camp ground.

1 is usually occupied by the volunteer park helper and 2 is in a hole.

All the sites from 3and 4 around to about 20 are flat and of decent size, the ones from 21 to 40 arent too bad but are on the bottom edge of the hill and some are uneven. The sites from 41 to 54 are mostly uneven in places and have rocks but its my preferred area.
We often use 44 which weve put a couple of 3 man and a 2 man tent on it has the best fire pit, or when we go as a larger group we get 47 and 48 which is a double site and takes my camper, the inlaws 17' van and two 3 man tents.
It has a pit but last time we were there someone had broken the swingaway grill/plate.

Also of note, theres a farm just as you head up the road into the park, he sells wood if you need it but dont rely on it because i've been when the sign is not out. Its nice to know if you run short, it can get cold up there, i've been when it was -2, we were in tents and the volunteer was worried sick that we'd freeze.
Good for getting a cuddle though...not from the volunteer though.

Were off to Canberra through mid June but when i get babck ill be getting ready for the midyear holiday and Mambray Creek.
Old 29-04-2016, 10:41 PM   #11
prydey
Rob

Might see you there
Old 23-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #12
prydey
Rob

Quote:

Seriously, its only a 2.5 hour drive north of Adelaide, has excellent camping facilities, plenty to do even for the novice, some of the shorter walks provide the best views. We usually head up in the mid year school holidays when the creek that runs right through the camp ground is flowing.

Roo's, Emu's and these huge goanna things are everywhere and will come over for a look, our kids loved it.

Its only a half hour drive to Pt Pirie or Pt Augusta if you want to get some supplies or to take in some local sites etc.

Do some research, you wont be sorry.

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/par...-national-park

http://www.gocampingaustralia.com/mambray-creek.html

Just digging up some advice from the early days of this thread.

Finally getting around to giving mambray creek a go. Have booked a site for October long weekend. Got to get in early. Already over half full.

Wasn't that keen when we had the tent, but with a van most of the reasons for not going are eliminated (hard ground for pitching tent etc).

Ended up booking site 7, which is fairly close to amenities which may be good or bad, but looks like it has reasonable screening and looks out in to the bush at the back.

Can't wait.
2 users like this post:
Old 25-06-2017, 10:31 PM   #13
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Just digging up some advice from the early days of this thread.

Finally getting around to giving mambray creek a go. Have booked a site for October long weekend. Got to get in early. Already over half full.

Wasn't that keen when we had the tent, but with a van most of the reasons for not going are eliminated (hard ground for pitching tent etc).

Ended up booking site 7, which is fairly close to amenities which may be good or bad, but looks like it has reasonable screening and looks out in to the bush at the back.

Can't wait.
Good choice Rob.
The site you have is a good one, very well set out however you will notice the people coming and going to the amenities block, good for a chat at any time of the day lol.
It may be too warm for the creek to be flowing in October, we went during the end of 3rd term school holidays in 2014 and it was dry but the upside was the abundance of wildlife as opposed to the winter months.
When that first Lace Monitor strolls through ya campsite it will certainly get your undivided attention..
There.s heaps of stuff to see and do at both ends of the park and walking trails are graded on ability and well marked so you can go at your own pace.
A great starter walk and is quite easy is the Davey's Gully Hike, it starts near the campground and winds up around the hills and gullies on the southern side, the view at sunset across the campground below and the vibrant colours that explode across the area is a must see and only takes an hour tops.

You may have already seen this brochure but here it is anyway.
https://natureplaysa.org.au/wp/wp-co...al-Version.pdf

I spent the weekend camping on the lake at Barmera teaching my 12yo how to handle the tinny as he has to sit a practical test to obtain his boat licence.
weather was perfect, not even a breath or wind and there was a strange phenomena occurring where hundreds, maybe even thousands, of Pelicans had converged on Lake Bonney, there were photographers everywhere.
Spoke to a local old fella and he said he was born in Barmera and had never seen it before, was a cool thing to see but they made a mess of the water, plenty of recycled carp..
My Father inlaw came along for the first time since he sold his caravan and came away keen as mustard to buy a tent and tag along more often, we do it simple sometimes, but its a blast.

And a little something I knocked up for Friday nights dinner

Last edited by BENT_8; 25-06-2017 at 10:54 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2017, 01:10 PM   #14
prydey
Rob

Quote:
You may have already seen this brochure but here it is anyway.
https://natureplaysa.org.au/wp/wp-co...al-Version.pdf
Thanks. I hadn't seen that.
Old 29-06-2017, 07:52 PM   #15
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Thanks. I hadn't seen that.
There's a bit to see and do that's for sure.
Its good because you can access the park from all different angles for a different experience, the area where you have booked into, from Melrose and the tracks up to Mt Remarkable or the Wilmington end which has spectacular gorges cut through rock you can access.
You could spend a week there and not see half of it.
Having Pt Pirie and Pt Augusta only 30mins away is also handy in case you run out of supplies etc.

I'm going up just after the upcoming school holidays as since they created the online bookings system its almost impossible to get the site you want during them.