Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-10-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Default Grinding noise AU XR8 rear

Hi all,
I am presuming this may be the dreaded hub issue, car is AU2 XR8 sedan, auto. I have done some digging on some old threads but I am wondering if it sounds like hub. Left rear knocking sound, not from upper shock I have had that before, but in reverse it makes a very unpleasant grinding and light vibration at slow speeds. I am going to put it on stands over the weekend but just getting prepared.
Any thoughts?
Old 27-10-2015, 09:01 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Grinding noise AU XR8 rear

Does it get louder when turning, a sort of ch ch ch sound getting faster with speed? Cv's ok?

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-10-2015, 10:12 PM   #3
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Its only noticable under 10-20kph. At hwy speed nothing and the car feels stable
Old 28-10-2015, 12:06 AM   #4
Fyrestorm
Spanner Thrower

Sounds like handbrake to me. Mine did it for a while before I "fixed" it. (Reefed it up going out of the driveway. Soon stopped.)
Current Mods: Fairmont Cluster, LED's Changed to Purple, Lukey Competition Extractors, 2.5" Hi flow Cat, Hi-Stall Converter, ED Box with FG internals, AUIII VCT Fuel Rail + Injectors, F6 Fuel Regulator, Stereo upgrade, Aftermarket LPG.

Awaiting Wife Approval Mods:

TE50 Front Bar, AU Tickford/SR Interior, Roof Racks, Slimline Weathershields, 2.5" Cat Back Exhaust, 27mm Front Sway Bar, Other Shiny things!
Fyrestorm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2015, 08:15 AM   #5
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

One other thing to be mindful of is when you jack the back end up & spin the wheels looking for wheel or hub runout, is there might not be any wheel wobble but the hub & bearing assembly can be still the issue. That was my issue. I replaced hub bearings, put a full handbrake kit through it & replaced rear disc's on my vct xr6, its quiet now!

It also may be a warped rear disc, knocking could be the handbrake shoe has popped out of the retaining clip, not sure so though. Good luck, maybe some one else will chime in with a more definitive suggestion or answer.

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-10-2015, 11:54 AM   #6
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyrestorm View Post
Sounds like handbrake to me. Mine did it for a while before I "fixed" it. (Reefed it up going out of the driveway. Soon stopped.)
Thanks for the comments guys, Fyrestorm I think you are on to it. Did your 'fix' too, and that noise is gone now for 2 days.
Old 23-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

I might have to move this car on soon, otherwise I will make hundred of threads in here.

New vibration/shudder. And now that its more evident I realise a less worrying version of it has been there for a while. used to shudder at 1500rpm on deceleration, that was it.

I am presuming its the auto, now I get a bad driveline shudder under deceleration under 2500rpm, whole car body resonates. I know its bad to do whilst moving, but I popped it into neutral whilst rolling and the shudder is gone. Will take it to auto trans people, but could this be torque converter or something?
Old 25-11-2015, 01:41 PM   #8
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Diagnosis is harmonic balancer rubber has cracked in half