Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-09-2015, 09:57 PM   #1
Muzza661
Starter Motor

Default Planning top end rebuild on 200kw 5l au xr8 ute need suggestions

Hey guys top end of my motor needs rebuild mainly valve springs. But if top end coming off the motor I want to upgrade have budget of about 2k. I do want a larger cam I want more respone out of her but also want a rougher idle. Also may aswell replace valves aswell. Any company that does kits or any suggestions on what to get would be great
Muzza661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 09:08 AM   #2
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Planning top end rebuild on 200kw 5l au xr8 ute need suggestions

Auto or manual? How do you use the car? Where are you located? How many Ks on your engine? What is the reason for replacing the valve springs? Is your 2K budget for parts only or a drive in/drive out total spend?

Lots of questions but it will help select the right components for you.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2015, 04:51 PM   #3
Muzza661
Starter Motor

It's a auto motor has 244 on the clock.. I have spoken to old ford guru who has told me there pretty worn as higher Roms she sounds rattley, also performance is down and has also back fired through the intake manifold once. Car is used mostly to and from work but also does tow loads every now again and also will be doing motorkhana. Budget is for parts only. Hope that helps?
Old 24-09-2015, 09:41 PM   #4
b2tf
not here much anymore

2k will be pushing it for a good setup IMHO, even just a cam change inc labour will be close to that. To make the most of it you're up for a retune also.
Old 24-09-2015, 10:53 PM   #5
Muzza661
Starter Motor

Labour and tune are sorted and a chip aswell it's what To get that I need help with
Old 24-09-2015, 11:13 PM   #6
mcfly94
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i take you have 2k alone for top end which is decent, as the majority of cost is in high stalls, tuning, headwork and roller rockers.
The xe264 or 270hr-14 might be a good option for you depending what rocker ratio the 200 has im not to sure, 99% sure both can be ran well without a stall or gears, saving fuel economy somewhat and keeping its towability. Dave can help you here!
You wouldnt need to much!
Cam, valve springs, pushrods and various gaskets, all could be had for $1500 or so!
Could go for a higher C/R over the factory 9?
mcfly94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-09-2015, 11:19 PM   #7
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzza661 View Post
Labour and tune are sorted and a chip aswell it's what To get that I need help with
7738-16 valve springs, K6201 parts kit and an XE270HR. Should come in under $2k although the way Crow have been charging lately it may pay to look to the US for the whole lot.
Old 26-09-2015, 11:48 AM   #8
BOTTLEDUP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

AU GT40P heads are notorious for worn valve guides, on a 2K budget and those km I'd look at pulling the heads and having them reconditioned.

Service the heads, fit new K-line guides, back cut the intake valves & get a good 5 angle seat cut. Enlarge the bowl area to 88-90% of the valve diameter & blend into the valve seat. If the budget stretches you can also step up to slightly larger valves as used in the 220kw & T3 heads, and also machine for a decent dual spring setup such as the Lunati 73925K2. I would also mill the heads 0.030" to up the compression a bit. In a daily driven auto, standard stall & gears and used for towing occasionally, I would go no larger than the Comp XE270HR-14 (35-351-8) cam. Fit a Rollmaster CS3040 timing set, some heavy duty pushrods, get the lifter preload set correctly and away you go.
BOTTLEDUP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: