Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 27-04-2015, 06:38 PM   #1
Dustproof

Default Rear Wheel Bearings

Hi all,

Now I have replaced the rear brake pads, I have found there is a noise coming from the rear. First I thought it a tyre noise but when the tyres were rotated, the noise didn't go away or change. I found that if I corner right the noise goes away then comes back when the car come strait again.

From this I have drawn a conclusion that the right rear wheel bearing is failing. Has anyone replaced their rear wheel bearings on an LV Focus TDCi ? I have been looking around and it seems that I need to change the whole hub, is this true? It sounds a bit wasteful having to replace the who thing.

Any information would be most appreciated.

Thanks
Noel
Old 27-04-2015, 08:12 PM   #2
marg99
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Rear Wheel Bearings

This is surprising as the rears carry little weight or stress and most commonly its tyre noise especially on old or worn tyres
marg99 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 01:51 AM   #3
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

You may need a special tool for the brakes.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-04-2015, 09:00 AM   #4
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by marg99 View Post
This is surprising as the rears carry little weight or stress and most commonly its tyre noise especially on old or worn tyres
Yeah, the silly thing is that the tyres had been swapped front to rear and the noise hasn't changed. I am going to adjust the tyre pressures when I can get my hands on the car just to see if the noise changes. (My wife is driving it mostly)

The Tyres are not that old and were very quiet when I got them fitted, swapping them should give some sort of change.

Do you know if the whole hub needs to be changed or just the bearing?
Old 28-04-2015, 09:03 AM   #5
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
You may need a special tool for the brakes.
Yeah I found out about the special tool the hard way, BTW, forget about the stupid Cube thing, none of its configurations fit the focus piston. You really need the bigger one that compresses the piston as it winds back.
Old 28-04-2015, 08:05 PM   #6
dazFX
Starter Motor

What noise does it make?

I had the caliper retaining springs missing on my rear brakes which was causing a metallic clicking noise on rough roads
dazFX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-04-2015, 09:16 AM   #7
Dustproof

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazFX View Post
What noise does it make?

I had the caliper retaining springs missing on my rear brakes which was causing a metallic clicking noise on rough roads
It's the normal old rumbling sound, the pitch changes with speed and tends to go away on left hand bends. I did notice though that when I changed the pads, the left rear inner pad was worn badly where as the other pads had quite a bit of meat left on them.

It's a noise that could be like having a course pattern on the tyres, I had all four tyres replaced about 10k ago, they were rotated at the last service and nothing changed.