Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-10-2014, 11:55 PM   #1
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default NSW - Police will no longer need to be called to minor road accidents

Police will no longer need to be called to minor road accidents

LINK

DRIVERS involved in minor crashes and accidents will no longer need to wait for police assistance in changes to be introduced next week.

Police will now only report to scenes where there is a fatality, someone is injured or trapped, drivers are intoxicated, or the parties involved fail to exchange details. Previously, police needed to be called if a vehicle involved required towing.

WHAT TO DO IN A MINOR CRASH
•Contact your insurer or a towing company to tow your vehicle (if necessary)
•Exchange details with the other driver
•Leave the crash site
•If any vehicles have been towed, report to the Police Assistance Line 131 444

Motorists won’t need to report minor collisions to police either, not even for insurance purposes.

The measures, aimed at slashing red tape, encourage motorists to organise their own tow back.

Once vehicles are towed, drivers need to report the incident to incident hotline, Police Assistance Line 131 444.

“The new streamlined process is about cutting back red tape and diverting police resources into broader road safety initiatives and other investigations,” said Assistant Commissioner John Hartley today.

Police will still report to the scene to assist with towing heavy vehicles such as trucks and buses, or if a driver has no towing options.

They will also be around to assist with traffic management and road hazards.

The changes will apply from Wednesday October 15.

VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #2
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: NSW - Police will no longer need to be called to minor road accidents

Whilst im for police to be freed up to catch the crooks, I just feel as though nowadays with this happening, people will just bull**** to the insurance companies about the truth, and or people will be harassed or bullied by the other person in the accident.

Imagine a 70yr old driver being hit by a arrogant ****** and feeling vulnerable and scared by the other driver.

Maybe im reading too much into it, as my mother is elderly and Im concerned how herself or others in a accident, in a state of shock would and can be manipulated and scared and so will feel safer with the police presence.

I dunno, i dont think its a good idea personally.

Thoughts anyone???
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
uniacidz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 12:21 AM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Default Re: NSW - Police will no longer need to be called to minor road accidents

I assume you can still goto a police station and have your version of events officially recorded.

I don't think its a good idea either, false names, no licence, etc etc, better make sure you have full comp in NSW then.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 02:38 AM   #4
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

I don't think I'd be too concerned. For your elderly mother, I suggest you advise her that if she's ever in an accident, don't admit fault and just exchange details. Also tell her that if the other party is becoming aggressive or refusing to exchange details then they're committing an offence and calling Police to attend is absolutely justified. If it ever gets to the stage of someone driving off without giving details then car rego + description, and a description of the driver is something to take clear notes of (which can be used later in a stat dec).

These new rules sound ok to me, 99% of the time there wont be an issue, but if there is then Police are still only a phone call away like they always have been.
This user likes this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 06:00 AM   #5
burnz
VFII SS UTE

better arm up with video dash cams..
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

This has been the case in Vic for ages, well, it's what most of us do.
Independent witnesses, and if there are none, call the police anyway and tell them that you're not sure if you will easily make a claim.
Both of my accidents I've had no issues though getting the other party to pay up.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 08:01 AM   #7
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

So the driver who broke a road rule or 2 and caused the accident doesn't get charged now?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 08:27 AM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

That is the way it has been in Vic for years, they'll only attend if there is an injury. Frees them up to catch real criminals like those who drive 3kph over the limit.

Unless they charge one of the drivers, the reports that they prepare are vague at best and a waste of money (they have to be paid for when requested). Should you be in an accident, take photos!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah I can see a car full of young drop kicks handling the situation fine when they run into an older person or pretty much anyone who is alone in the other car.
Pretty much tell the cops you feel threatened and intimidated and they will come.
Most people will be able to handle the situation fine, but the minority will take advantage of it.

Cops haven't cared about minor incident for a while. 4x4 pulled out and hit my girlfriends car last year. The cops just drove around the crash and kept going.
830am in a country town I doubt the cops would of been overly busy.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 11:06 AM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
better arm up with video dash cams..
^^^ This. Hate to say it, but in the form of an insurance claim, a dash cam will go a long way to proving your innocence. That is not a typo.....I did mean to say 'innocence' as there will be a lot out there crying foul to get out of paying got their ignorance/stupidty.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 11:10 AM   #11
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think this will by default make people less helpless than they are now

People organising their own tow, exchanging particulars etc. rather than standing round waiting for police to do pretty much everything for them.

Everyone has a camera these days so a quick photo or two, move the cars off the road asap, exchange particulars
Once people adjust it should result in a quicker restoration of traffic flow
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #12
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Remember to pull the smartphone out and photograph their license, both cars (including rego plate) and as much damage/area detail as you can. It's a great help when they lie to their insurance company after admitting fault on the spot ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
So the driver who broke a road rule or 2 and caused the accident doesn't get charged now?
A "mature" learner in a Camry plowed into my rear quarter panel when failing to give way at a roundabout earlier in the year. I reported it at the local Police right after so it was on record. They said they don't charge unless they witness the incident.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 11:13 AM   #13
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Cops haven't cared about minor incident for a while. 4x4 pulled out and hit my girlfriends car last year. The cops just drove around the crash and kept going.
830am in a country town I doubt the cops would of been overly busy.
Did either car require towing?
Had Police been called?
So you know their workload?
Old 10-10-2014, 11:28 AM   #14
Itsme
Experienced Member

Rogue towies will like this decision, the good old punch up days returning.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 01:38 PM   #15
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe View Post
A "mature" learner in a Camry plowed into my rear quarter panel when failing to give way at a roundabout earlier in the year. I reported it at the local Police right after so it was on record. They said they don't charge unless they witness the incident.
I had an incident several years ago where I was driving in a car park and a clown took a corner on the wrong side of the road and ploughed right into me.

The fool then starts to act all aloof and confused when I asked for his license and insurance documents.

A quick phone call to some family close by and I had a car parked up behind him blocking him in - my car was not able to be driven, his was only slightly damaged.

The cops took 4 hours to arrive (they were having a big meeting after the Cronulla riots) and charged him with one or two traffic offenses based on the evidence - from what the officers told me that eventually attended.

Had he been more forthcoming and cooperative with information I wouldn't have involved the police - it's not that he refused to hand over his details, but he was almost acting like he didn't hear or understand my requests...

I think police not attending accidents is a grave mistake... when you think about it, almost most 'accidents' are caused by driver / mechanical negligence and they should be dealt with by qualified Police not civilians.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 01:59 PM   #16
Lotte
YE-US! Wait. I don't know

Quote:
I had an incident several years ago where I was driving in a car park and a clown took a corner on the wrong side of the road and ploughed right into me.

The fool then starts to act all aloof and confused when I asked for his license and insurance documents.

A quick phone call to some family close by and I had a car parked up behind him blocking him in - my car was not able to be driven, his was only slightly damaged.

The cops took 4 hours to arrive (they were having a big meeting after the Cronulla riots) and charged him with one or two traffic offenses based on the evidence - from what the officers told me that eventually attended.

Had he been more forthcoming and cooperative with information I wouldn't have involved the police - it's not that he refused to hand over his details, but he was almost acting like he didn't hear or understand my requests...

I think police not attending accidents is a grave mistake... when you think about it, almost most 'accidents' are caused by driver / mechanical negligence and they should be dealt with by qualified Police not civilians.
I threaten to call the cops if I need to. I've never had to follow up on it.
The guy who hit my ute last year and caved the tub in tried to act like it was my fault for not letting him use two lanes to turn. So, he admitted fault, then wouldn't give his insurance details.
Told him I was happy to call the cop shop 100m down the road, and that I was happy to call them along. Suddenly a licence appeared.
Even better, a bus driver had pulled over at the next stop and was waiting for me so he could give me his details as an independent witness.

The issue with police involvement is that unless it's abundantly clear who is in the wrong, there isn't much they can do. It does become a he says she says and the reports they do reflect that. Insurance companies are much more inclined to follow independent witness reports than police reports unless the police ARE the independent witness.
The Weekender: '06 BF Pursuit, Toxic, lumpy af

Lotte is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 10:23 PM   #17
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Most times you call them they are busy and don't come for hours...bingles are not high on their priority list, a major pile up or injury's will get them there faster, but I guarantee the tow truck will beat them all.

Plenty of pix, before moving cars if safe, and afterwards and record what is said on phone as well. Amazing how many people don't remember (mostly) their phone has a camera and recorder.

Some people don't handle shock well, so don't expect everyone to be sensible and helpful either. View license if possible, get address and insurance details...if any. If you get a mobile phone number dial it now and see it's legit, a fake phone number is getting common these days. Not a lot of help as phones can be cancelled the next day anyway. Harder to move address.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 10:33 PM   #18
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

you can still call them if you feel that they are needed, this will just stop them waisting time a minor rear enders
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 10:40 PM   #19
MrEL
Sick Puppy

I laugh at the people here making the calls that young people will be abusing or getting aggressive towards elderly drivers.
Last Christmas break my car got run up the back of when I was pulled up for traffic.
I signalled for the driver to pull into the carpark next to us to exchange details.
I pulled up only to see the person who hit me drive straight past the back of me and keep going.
After making chase I found them pulled up at the service station nearby filling up.
I was driving a V8 ute , I am not a small lad and since it was summer , I was in a singlet with both my inked arms out in the sun , along with my near shaved head and goatee.
Yep it turned ugly when the person who hit me decided they didn't do it and the conversation got very abusive and aggressive.

Pity it was the 70 year old woman who hit me that lost her nannas and got abusive!! She even slapped her husband and told him to shut up when he tried to talk to me!

Since it was near on 40 degrees , I wasn't waiting a few hours for the police to arrive so I got her rego details and drove to the local station to report it.
The officer found her info and gave her a call about the incident , only for her to abuse the copper!!!

So its not always us louts that cause the trouble and try to ride rough shot over people!
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 10-10-2014, 11:24 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
If you get a mobile phone number dial it now and see it's legit, a fake phone number is getting common these days. Not a lot of help as phones can be cancelled the next day anyway. Harder to move address.
My dad tried that about 10 years ago. As he looked down at his phone to call the number, the other guy king hit him and within a few minutes this drop kick had his bogan mates there. Needless to say my dad was in hospital for a while after getting gang bashed. Still has scars on his face today.
By the way he is 6 foot 2, tattooed and rode a Harley. So he doesn't really look like a softy you can take advantage of. Just not prepared.

I know this is a rare situation and stuff like that doesn't happen often, but the post about checking the mobile number made me think of it. Just thought I'd share to remind people to always be vigilant even if the other person initially appears to be cooperative.

Im sure scumbags of all ages, races and genders will be loving that there will be no police at the accident scene to put them in their place.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2014, 11:36 PM   #21
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I say the best way is to have full comprehensive. Right or wrong either rightly or wrongly, I just have to pay $600 or so to have it taken care of.

I think the police have better things to do with their resources than attend to minor accidents and in most cases their attendance probably provides no value at all.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 07:14 PM   #22
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

While this is true and the best outcome for 90% of people, think about what happens if no effort is made to ID or penalise offenders.

Insurance fraud will rise as will premiums if there are no police reports or anyone to blame.

There are no such things as accidents either, there is always someone to blame from an insurance standpoint. the problem is getting the guilty party to pay in many cases. It all becomes too hard in the end and insurance companies just whack another $50 on each of us to cover their losses. 3rd party property insurance should be compulsory for all drivers.

Somebody pays in the end...nothing is for free in this world.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-10-2014, 07:37 PM   #23
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
While this is true and the best outcome for 90% of people, think about what happens if no effort is made to ID or penalise offenders.

Insurance fraud will rise as will premiums if there are no police reports or anyone to blame.

There are no such things as accidents either, there is always someone to blame from an insurance standpoint. the problem is getting the guilty party to pay in many cases. It all becomes too hard in the end and insurance companies just whack another $50 on each of us to cover their losses. 3rd party property insurance should be compulsory for all drivers.

This^^^.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2014, 10:09 PM   #24
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Drivers that break road rules and cause crashes don't contribute to the road, at least not until one of the rules broken relates to speeding... didn't you know?
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2014, 08:08 AM   #25
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
^^^ This. Hate to say it, but in the form of an insurance claim, a dash cam will go a long way to proving your innocence. That is not a typo.....I did mean to say 'innocence' as there will be a lot out there crying foul to get out of paying got their ignorance/stupidty.
Exactly, I have used a dash Cam in the past to establish liability.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxx000 View Post
People organising their own tow, exchanging particulars etc. rather than standing round waiting for police to do pretty much everything for them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trublu View Post
Rogue towies will like this decision, the good old punch up days returning.
Not in metro Victoria as they still have to go via ‘Towing Allocation’

Quote:
Sadly this happens everyday and is one reason that insurance premiums go up, there will always be people out there to make a dishonest fortune.

Quote:

Exactly, however more often than not, the person at fault doesn’t want to admit to it.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 21-10-2014, 10:25 PM   #26
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniacidz View Post
WHAT TO DO IN A MINOR CRASH
•Photograph the accident before moving the cars. it'll be handy should you ever need to go to court.
Old 22-10-2014, 08:43 AM   #27
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
•Photograph the accident before moving the cars. it'll be handy should you ever need to go to court.
Rarely will this go to court. BUT, take photo's to help the insurer is a must IMO.
Then get your cars out of the way.
Old 22-10-2014, 09:24 AM   #28
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Trust me most photos provide very questionable evidence in court particularly in regard to distances. There's a standard for photos, can't recall the fine details of it.
Old 22-10-2014, 10:01 PM   #29
Ruination

Quote:
They will get charged still. Here in WA, if you cause a motor accident you cop a few points and a fine.

They already have this system in place over here in WA for quite a while now. And it works fine, however if you call the cops to report a crash (with no serious injuries or fatalities) you won't get help, you have to report it online at https://www.crashreport.com.au/ocrf/

Also, both parties involved need to report it - separately.

I've had to do this numerous times because we have too many spastic drivers here in Perth.
You have to make sure you capture EVERY detail, including the details of the other driver, and photos do help as you can attach a number of them to the report you submit online.

My previous bingle was with a Taxi driver (who wasn't actually a registered taxi driver) whom pulled out in front of me.
He was seriously reluctant to provide details as he was working for cash illegaly (seems to happen a lot here in Perth??)
Anyway, because he was at fault and also driving a taxi without having a Taxi extension on his license, he was fined and also stripped of his drivers license for 12 months.

Motor accidents caused by negligent driving don't go unpunished.
Ruination is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2014, 09:45 PM   #30
Phildo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Excellent work on the BF Brake information. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Photo Essay - Centre Console Disassembly 

Here in Perth, I have found that if I call police about a crash and explain that, “alcohol appears to be a contributing factor here” then police attend.

I’ve cost a few drivers their licence for ****y driving late at night.

Example: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11332511

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruination View Post
My previous bingle was with a Taxi driver (who wasn't actually a registered taxi driver) whom pulled out in front of me.
He was seriously reluctant to provide details as he was working for cash illegaly (seems to happen a lot here in Perth??)
Anyway, because he was at fault and also driving a taxi without having a Taxi extension on his license, he was fined and also stripped of his drivers license for 12 months.
Dept of Transort would have had some fun with that one.

Each taxi in Perth has four cameras, along with audio recording.

One camera on each side of the roof (filming people approaching the car).

Two cameras inside the car.

If a taxi pulls out in front of you then one of the roof cameras will record it.

The inside cameras are recording who is driving the car.

With that driver, Dept of Transport would have also pineappled the hell out of the driver whose ID the crash driver was borrowing.

There are strict rules about this - a driver has to log into the computer with his/her driver ID number and PIN. These are not allowed to be disclosed to anyone else. Lend your details to someone else and you’re going to be pretty close to losing your taxi licence as well.
Read about it all at Cabloid, the web site that has stories and photos about my life driving a taxi at night.
www.cabloid.com.au
Phildo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post