Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-03-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Fuel stored in jerry cans.

So on the 20th December 2013 I bought fuel for my car and filled up 2 plastic Jerry cans at the same time.
Due to unforeseen circumstances I still have most of the fuel in the garage as of today 6th March 2014.
I have put some in the mower a couple of weeks ago and it seamed fine. Just wondering if it will still be good enough to put the rest in my car now.
It's 95 Unleaded.

Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 04:58 PM   #2
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Default Re: Fuel stored in jerry cans.

I would use it, but maybe not put it all in at once in case it has started to deteriorate.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

use it you will be fine
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 05:29 PM   #4
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it will be fine.....wait til you get down to a 1/4 of a tank in your car and whack it in then.

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #5
bobthebilda
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
So on the 20th December 2013 I bought fuel for my car and filled up 2 plastic Jerry cans at the same time.
Due to unforeseen circumstances I still have most of the fuel in the garage as of today 6th March 2014.
It was delivered to the petrol station on 18th december.
it was delivered to the depot on 2nd November.
It left the singapore refinery on 25th October.
It left Saudia Arabia on the 15th October.
The oil started forming 160 million BC.

It should have a bit of life left in it yet.
bobthebilda is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-03-2014, 06:58 PM   #6
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car is sitting here with about 1/8 of a tank now. I really would prefer to use it up now because hopefully I'll be buying a diesel soon and then all I'll have is the mower. It will take ages for the mower to burn though 30+ litres.

Already had enough problems with this car and don't need any more problems.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 07:22 PM   #7
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
My car is sitting here with about 1/8 of a tank now. I really would prefer to use it up now because hopefully I'll be buying a diesel soon and then all I'll have is the mower. It will take ages for the mower to burn though 30+ litres.

Already had enough problems with this car and don't need any more problems.
You will have NO problems using this fuel......It takes a few months for petrol to go stale these days...

If still concerned throw a small bottle of fuel booster in it?
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 07:28 PM   #8
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

From the BP web site

"The storage life of regular unleaded fuels is one year when stored under shelter in a sealed container. Once a seal is broken the fuel has a storage life of six months at 20 °C, or three months at 30 °C. If stored in an open container or fuel tank, the storage life is reduced to one month. This can be extended by topping up with one third of fresh fuel, which restores volatile components that have evaporated. When storing fuel always make sure you use fuel containers that are stamped as meeting AS 2906 and store fuel in a safe, dry place that doesn't have large temperature changes."

http://www.opalfuel.com.au/page.cfm/...e-and-handling
whynot is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 07:36 PM   #9
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always thought 'under ideal conditions' petrol and beer have a similar shelf life before they start to deteriorate, 6-8 months?
CoupeKing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #10
Spurious

3 month shelf life. It should be alright to put in the car but I wouldn't use just the jerry's, make sure there's at least half a tank in the car.

So long as the jerry's were sealed air tight. If they have started to evaporate I would be wary.
Spurious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post