Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-08-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default Getting a website into search results?

Ive just had a very simple, single page website made for my business. It's really only to make use of the domain name and it will give us something to build on down the track.

Just wondering the best ways to get it to come up in google search results etc?

Old 07-08-2013, 11:30 PM   #2
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Default Re: Getting a website into search results?

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Webbing

Money ..... you can pay Google through companies like Sensys to advertise the business to come up in the shaded area at the top. If you can budget around the $800.00 a month you can buy key words such as 'Termites' and you will appear. Each Keyword will cost depending on the most popular search that people use. 'Pest Killer' might be 20 cents a click .... 'Pest Control' might be $2.00 a click.

The free way? Again it is selecting your key words into your web page. Unfortunately having 1 page webs will not be 'selected' by Google to come before someone who repeats a particular word throughout the pages. Using lots of words and pictures can get picked up by Google search engines and the more information the more Google will think that your page is worth the selection.

Lots of pics with tags and different ways of using the same words without seeming to be repetitive. Just writting 'Termites' a thousand times on one page will not automatically make you jump spots compared to someone who has the word spread throughout various pages, pictures, links etc. The Google search engine is very clever.

If you type Ford anything ..... AFF usually comes out near the top. It is because of repetitive wording used on many many pages. It recognises that it may be worth a higher profile.

There are many ways to do it and does take some time.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #3
Hell Cat

Just keep searching your website on google, it will eventually make it to the top. Search keywords from your site also.

I got my website onto the first page of google that way..... don't pay a company to do it for you if you dont have spare cash.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-08-2013, 11:47 PM   #4
Hell Cat

Double post.

P.s my site was only basic also, plus in an industry that isn't huge.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #5
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I had one of our members on here build me a basic website, similar idea as b2tf , to build on down the track. I have a good domain name, now it's a matter of time in getting it out there in web land.......
Old 08-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
JAJH
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Try adding your site to some search engines such as these:
https://www.google.com/webmasters/to...bmit-url?pli=1
http://www.bing.com/toolbox/submit-site-url

PREVIOUS RIDES
AU3 VENOM RED XR8, 19" SILVER ARGENTS, REBEL BODY KIT & 6/4 BREMBOS
MARS RED FG MK2 XR6 ECOLPI, SILVER ARGENT 19" RIMS & TINT
BLOOD ORANGE BA GTP, QUAD EXHAUST, SUNROOF, CHIPPED, SS CAI, 320KW
NAROOMA BLUE AU3 HERROD XR8- SS CAI, TS RIMS, 6/4 BREMBOS, TWIN SPOILER, REBEL BODY KIT & TUNED BY ELITE
VENOM GTP, HERROD EXHAUST, DVD PLAYER, WINDOW TINT, SS CAI, STEALTH
VENOM AU11 TE50, HERROD LOWERED, HEADERS AND EXHAUST
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
JAJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #7
hawkgirl
Aluminum Falcon pilot
Donating Member1

you can look at SEO (search engine optimisation) .

If you go to SEM (search engine marketing), beware of people who tell you that they can get you to top of page 1 of Google in a week. It cannot happen due to the complex algorithims google uses, a Quality score takes 6 -8 weeks to happen. Searching for your own website if you have SEM is the worst thing you can do.

you can get entry level SEM for about $110 a month from yellow pages. SEM can also have geocoding, which means you can have suburbs as keywords too.

try to make your website as content rich as possible too.

The Fleet
2002 Kawasaki ZZR600 - Silver - Felix
1975 Fairlane ZG - Apollo Blue - Oberon
1999 Falcon AU Ute - Liquid Silver - The Aluminum Falcon - the Preciousss
2000 AUII Fairlane Ghia (vct)- Burgundy - Five / RedCar - round town clown
hawkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
brenx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also add some meta tags into the website html. ;) Search engines look for meta tags. I had a prior website I had within the top 10 purely by using meta tags in the website coding (html). When viewing you couldn't see them as they were only designed to be found by search engines.

Tuned by Hallam Performance
brenx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brenx View Post
Also add some meta tags into the website html. ;) Search engines look for meta tags. I had a prior website I had within the top 10 purely by using meta tags in the website coding (html). When viewing you couldn't see them as they were only designed to be found by search engines.
Not any more....

http://googlewebmastercentral.blogsp...-meta-tag.html
Old 10-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
DaveD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
So wrong because you linked to 'keywords'

Google, meta 'Description' ....

Not important?
DaveD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2013, 11:04 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveD View Post
So wrong because you linked to 'keywords'

Google, meta 'Description' ....

Not important?
Maybe I had a reading comprehension failure because when he spoke about meta tags I assume keywords. Meta tags like description are basic components of page design. I am not sure how the description improves page ranks though. I am aware of how it is used for snippets when displaying google results.

Educate me as I am interested
Old 11-08-2013, 04:26 PM   #12
DaveD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
Maybe I had a reading comprehension failure because when he spoke about meta tags I assume keywords. Meta tags like description are basic components of page design. I am not sure how the description improves page ranks though. I am aware of how it is used for snippets when displaying google results.

Educate me as I am interested
I think I'm the one with the reading comprehension failure here!
When you said "Not any more" I thought you meant a blanket ban on meta tags. My bad. A well written description should help with click through rates and will probably add value to the overall site score in Google.

This video is newer than the one you posted earlier.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=RBTBEfd7z_Y
DaveD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-08-2013, 04:52 PM   #13
krzysiek

If you want to get found online, you've essentially got two choices. Ranking in the organic/natural search results, or appearing in the paid results.

Ranking in the organic results is not ideal for many reasons, in my opinion. Getting on top of the search results the organic way means you need to optimise your website to Google's liking.

This means you need to have everything on your website down pat, as well as off-page optimisation - which to keep it simple, is for the most part other external websites linking back to your website.

The problem is that Google doesn't want people to game the system. You can go out and buy 1000 links to your website from various external sites for $5. But will this get you to the top of search results? Maybe a few years ago, but not anymore. Google can pick up on when you are trying to game the results.

So what I am saying is, you need to tread carefully. Do the wrong thing and your website will disappear, or at best, go down several spots on the results. The problem is that "do the right thing" is not very clearly defined. If you listen to Google, they'd have you make amazing content for your website and "hope" for someone to stumble upon it and then link to you from their own site, blog, forum, etc. The reality is, how is anyone going to stumble upon your website in the first place if it's not showing up on Google for it's related search terms.

Even if you manage to get SEO (search engine optimisation) done well for your website, and even if you get to the top spot -- it isn't definite. The search results are always changing. New updates to the algorithm are always coming out. Who knows, you might even get your website penalised and moved down the search results due to a new algorithm which penalises a certain type of SEO tactic (link building) that you may have done many months ago.

And let's pretend you've done everything right and absolutely nothing wrong.

Your competitor can, for a mere $5-$10, buy thousands upon thousands of low quality spam links and point them to your website. And when Google picks up on these new links, they'll naturally think you're making them yourself and they may (and sometimes do) penalise you for it - even though you did nothing wrong. Years of potentially quality SEO work can go right down the drain the moment a competitor tries to screw you over.

For this reason, I would recommend looking into paid advertising - such as Google's Pay Per Click Adwords platform. It still takes some learning (or you can outsource the work which I would recommend) but as long as you pay, you keep getting the results / work / calls / sales.

PS: Google doesn't make any money from their natural/organic/free results. For this reason, it is easy to see why they make natural SEO results more and more unstable and unsteady. They want people to move over to their paid advertising, because that's how they can make money.
krzysiek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post