Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Default 2000 Au fairmont ghia sedan

I am looking at getting a 2000 series 2 fairmont ghia sedan. Its a v8 auto with irs, tickford wheels, tickford body kit, full exhaust with hi-flow car and extractors, premo stereo but head unit is gone, leather seats and momo steering wheel.

Is there anything I should be looking to check on these cars? I do know it some times hesitates from idle when the throttle is floored, but other then that the car runs, drives and sounds great

El Venom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2013, 08:49 PM   #2
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: 2000 Au fairmont ghia sedan

Be sure to check for rust around the bootlid struts...They tend to rust out in that area.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I know it has one spot half the size of a 5c piece near a tail light but its an easy fix, couldnt see any other rust
Old 08-07-2013, 09:04 PM   #4
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

How it did look. currently has a fiber glass t-series kit in primer fitted and another bonnet with bulged fitted. Comes with everything in the pic plus all the other kits and parts he has
Attached Images
File Type: jpg au2.jpg (139.0 KB, 91 views)
Old 08-07-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
revcore
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With the 5.0 Windsor check for vibrations when it's idleing as it can often be a sign of the harmonic balancer on the way out. Also check for loud chirping coming from the front of the engine as this will usually mean that the cam synconiser needs replacing.
Is it IRS or live axle? If it's IRS be sure to check for vibrations and harsh rattles.
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #6
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

irs, yes. no vibrations of any sort.. A belt tensioner has a slight squeak but with a little spray of wd40 it goes away
Old 09-07-2013, 11:08 AM   #7
peterljohnson55

First and foremost have you checked for the Tickford ID plate (Engine bay window sill).
That will list the Tickford modifications at time of manufacture.

Check for ...
- rust at the lip of the bonnet.
- rust at boot strut (as mentioned) parts are less than $20.
- If V8 more or less same as I6, check for rust at the back of the water pump where the steel heater-water bypass tube enters the pump and secured by an o-ring (Ha!). New tubes are probably no longer available. Used tubes unlikely to be in good condition. Here is a thread on the issue for I6: http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11368212
(if this one is an issue to you then feel free to message me).
- check your suspension, including ball joints and bushes. Costly parts and repairs.
- transmission if applicable. What condition is the oil - that can tell a tale.
- what is the car's history? Documented history rather than just the seller's word on it?
- your slow start from idle is a major concern, I would say, if no obvious solution. Think about coil pack, leads, plugs.
- headlining. If there is just one slight droop, the rest will follow soon enough.
- Check the plastic water reservoir bottle - any sign of rust? If so, then the engine probably hasn't been looked after properly, especially cooling system.
- Is body alignment looking good, or blotchy? Stand back and check it out in bright sunlight, preferably with car positioned so that the sun shines along the sides of the panels.

(My experience is as per signature below).
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------

Last edited by peterljohnson55; 09-07-2013 at 11:13 AM. Reason: stuff happens
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2013, 11:38 AM   #8
AU Mont
Banned

check coolant leaks in & around timing cover = corrosion.

going by the pic and your description of the car, it doesnt sound like your too picky anyway lol
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

The car doesnt look the best with all the orange graphics and currently it has a t-series kit on it in primer as well a a bonnet in primer as well and the wheels are black. I am looking past that as its an easy thing to change. I just want to make sure car is basically good.

If it is and I get it, it will have the graphics removed, resprayed if I use the t-kit and the tickford wheels restored and just make it look as tidy as possible and move it on but only if it will getting me more money then the car I will be swapping for it
Old 11-07-2013, 01:46 AM   #10
peterljohnson55

If you're looking to on-sell, then if it was a car I was considering no way I would buy it if it hesitates from idle.
-------- Preventative Maintenance Policy --------
peterljohnson55 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 10:13 AM   #11
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

Depends on the cause of the issue as is only does it sometimes. On selling might not happen right away as it needs to be tidied up first.

What are peoples thoughts on body kits? It would come with the one in the pic as well as a t3 kit minus the boot spoiler. He got a bonnet with bulge instead and all of those bits need to be painted but not sure if the t3 kit would be of any benefit when it comes time to move it on
Old 11-07-2013, 01:06 PM   #12
AU Mont
Banned

the less factory it looks, the more harder it will be to sell.

what were you hoping to make out of it? I personally wouldnt pay more than 800 bucks for it as it is. There a crapload of nice cheap cars on the market for 3k>
AU Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #13
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

As long as it matches or gets me more then I could for a 94 3L auto mitsubighi pajero. The market is all over the place. The pajero is 1-5 grand, the mont is 1-7grand and almost all of them are 4L. I just depends on the car and if its a private or yard sale. If just going by insurance for market value then the mont is the better choice but its still hit and miss.

I have a few weeks to try work it out as I need to have my 9 seat ed on the road before I do anything.