Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 19-03-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 
Default Fiesta Dog Guard

Anyone fitted a genuine Ford Dog Guard to their WS/WT Fiesta?

I'm looking at buying one this weekend but at almost $300 I'd just like to know if there's anything I should be aware of in terms of fitting etc. before I take the plunge. My local dealership's parts division will supply but won't fit but I'm reasonably handy and the image I have seen of the part doesn't make it look that difficult to fit. I have a WS Fiesta LX 5 door.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alan D Segal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Pursya

Default Re: Fiesta Dog Guard

I can only find this;
http://dogguardsandcages.com/media/pdf/TDG1215.pdf

Not the original article. But it would have to be similar you would think.

This looks good as well.
http://www.travall.co.uk/2008-hatchb...og-guard-p1276

I note the Ford one has a price of $299 "fitted" at participating dealers. Why won't your dealer fit it and are they dropping the price as the don't?

Last edited by Pursya; 19-03-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Pursya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-03-2013, 03:50 PM   #3
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Location: On a flattened-out cardboard box out the back behind the wheelie bins.
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Good contributor. 

They're saying $272.90 to supply only. The car isn't brand new (2010 model). Maybe dealer-fit means when you're ordering the car? The guy I spoke to said it was in the same category as headlight covers, which are also dealer fit, but are easy to fit.

EDIT: I guess they're not a 'participating dealer'.

The ford one appears to have mounting points that go down to the floor in the back. I have seen the travall one, but I'm thinking Ford designed the genuine item differently for a reason - maybe they didn't want additional load on the seat latch?
Old 19-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.dogguardsrus.co.uk/prodde...p?prod=TDG1215

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2013, 11:11 AM   #5
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Thanks InFocus. That seems to be the travall one as well. Cheers.
Old 20-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #6
Pursya

Not sure if there would be much stress on the seat latch. Which should be mighty strong as part of the seating/safety system.
Why Ford would design theirs to go to the floor may be simply to encourage people to have the device fitted when buying the vehicle. Sometimes it's that simple.
I really cannot see much "engineering" in the Ford version that makes it a better proposition.
Unless your mutt is a couple of hundred kilos.
Old 20-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #7
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pursya View Post
Unless your mutt is a couple of hundred kilos.
He's about 36kg. He's like a mobile security system

You're probably right though, if you have a crash bad enough that the latch point for the seat fails altogether then the dog's probably not going to survive it.

I contacted the company and they said it is designed to restrain animals up to 50kg.
Old 20-03-2013, 04:58 PM   #8
Pursya

Which brings you back to the latches again.
Old 20-03-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Yes as you have said they should be mighty strong anyway. Thanks for your interest in this thread. I've ordered one so I'll try to provide an update on what it is like once it gets here.
Old 02-04-2013, 12:12 PM   #10
Alan D Segal
Call me 'Al'

Travall item arrived and fits perfectly. Doesn't move around or rattle and the dog's happy enough in the boot. Good item, good price and it arrived in less than a week. I'm happy with it.
Old 02-04-2013, 01:22 PM   #11
Pursya

Well done.
Always good to get a positive result.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #12
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

Bit different, glad it worked out. There is a fair bit of space wit the parcel shelf removed.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post