Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 11-09-2012, 10:05 PM   #1
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Default Tickford Brake upgrade help

I'm wanting to put Tickford premium brakes on my ute. Do i need to use a bracket? I've been told yes & also no by someone who has fitted them without, using the 329mm rotor. Please help

BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 PM   #2
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Default Re: Tickford Brake upgrade help

Premo brakes have there own dedicated upright...........Did uprights come with the calipers??

If not you need brackets fabricated.
With 3.9 Gears:.......12.40@112.5mph, still trying!
Tune by XFT
CRAIGAU3220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-09-2012, 10:14 PM   #3
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRAIGAU3220
Premo brakes have there own dedicated upright...........Did uprights come with the calipers??

If not you need brackets fabricated.
I haven't got the calipers yet .. i should receive them by post in a few days.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:20 PM   #4
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Oh..................For a true genuine bolt on AU premo front brake kit you need uprights to suit.
Tune by XFT
Old 11-09-2012, 10:30 PM   #5
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Oh..................For a true genuine bolt on AU premo front brake kit you need uprights to suit.
They are brand new but i don't know if they come with them.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:39 PM   #6
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Yeah ok, have seen plenty premo calipers for sale but unless they come with suitable uprights or some sort of fabricated bracket they wont bolt to your std upright.

Years ago I bought a premo kit from the wreckers and uprights were included............moved em on a few months ago and uprights went with them.
Tune by XFT
Old 11-09-2012, 10:47 PM   #7
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Yeah ok, have seen plenty premo calipers for sale but unless they come with suitable uprights or some sort of fabricated bracket they wont bolt to your std upright.

Years ago I bought a premo kit from the wreckers and uprights were included............moved em on a few months ago and uprights went with them.
Looks like i'm chasing a needle in a haystack :( .. I don't even know what these brackets look like.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:59 PM   #8
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

If anyone has these brackets, i need a set.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:09 PM   #9
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZINGA
I'm wanting to put Tickford premium brakes on my ute. Do i need to use a bracket? I've been told yes & also no by someone who has fitted them without, using the 329mm rotor. Please help
I recall reading somewhere that if it was AU1, no brackets required, AU2 onwards, brackets were required. JC and I bolted some on the front of my AU2 ute, and used the factory brackets that came with the calipers. no issue and went straight on. My old calipers then bolted straight up to his AU2 XR8 (where the premo calipers came from), no issues.
Old 11-09-2012, 11:28 PM   #10
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by rag top
I recall reading somewhere that if it was AU1, no brackets required, AU2 onwards, brackets were required. JC and I bolted some on the front of my AU2 ute, and used the factory brackets that came with the calipers. no issue and went straight on. My old calipers then bolted straight up to his AU2 XR8 (where the premo calipers came from), no issues.
Does this seem right?

Being an AU3 the calipers should bolt straight onto the upright. Early AU2s have the caliper mounted on the trailing side of upright and DO NEED THE BRACKET. Late AU2s and AU3s have the caliper mounted on the leading side of the upright and do not need the bracket. Early AU2s have a different upright to Late AU2s and AU3s. I have recently acquired Tickford Premium calipers on my Late AU2 XR.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:06 AM   #11
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Ford attaches the mounting bracket to the calipers when they are new for replacement and do NOT service them as a replacement part. Hopefully whomever you are buying the calipers off will have enough sense to leave the brackets that mount the caliper to the stub axle on the calipers.
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2012, 12:18 AM   #12
AlfaRomeoGTV6
T Series Club Member #041

Quote:
Originally Posted by BZINGA
Does this seem right?

Being an AU3 the calipers should bolt straight onto the upright. Early AU2s have the caliper mounted on the trailing side of upright and DO NEED THE BRACKET. Late AU2s and AU3s have the caliper mounted on the leading side of the upright and do not need the bracket. Early AU2s have a different upright to Late AU2s and AU3s. I have recently acquired Tickford Premium calipers on my Late AU2 XR.

G'day Daz

This what I'm going on. My sincere apologies for getting it back to front !!!

It's really difficult to say if you'll need the brackets or not, but to explain what happened in my situation. I hope it helps in some way...?

As far as I know, AU1 and AU2 uprights are different and there are two different uprights for AU3. Whether you need adapter brackets to fit the Premium brake calipers depends on what uprights you car has.

My AU2 TE50 never had Premium brakes (it was an option on T2 TE50, only standard on TS50 and TL50 in the AU2 T-series range). My car had standard AU2 brake setup.

I purchased the calipers off ebay (brand new) before researching and read nothing but "you need adapter brackets." I tried everywhere to find the brackets and the only lead I had was to have some made, using a borrowed bracket as a pattern. The calipers and discs sat in the box under the bed for months.

One weekend I had the front wheel off (to replace a front wheel bearing). Once the new bearing and hub was on, I decided to "test fit" a 330mm disc to see how it looks and see how far off the caliper fitment was. Once the disc was on, I couldn't see how the Premium caliper wouldn't fit, so tried it. Everything lined up, no brackets, no stuffing around.

They are however fitted on the leading edge of the disc (as opposed to the factory fit being on the trailing edge of the disc).

I can't give you a definite idea of whether you need brackets or not - you may... HOWEVER the only way I knew I didn't need the brackets was to just bolt it all up and see.

Glad I didn't just go on what I read otherwise I'd have spent a good few hundred dollars on brackets I didn't need.

Don't want to give you false hope but my AU is a late AU2 also (May 2001).

Many thanks to 'macman' for his support.

Cheers

2002 T3 TE50 Build #099 Winter White/Blue & Black

AlfaRomeoGTV6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 AM   #13
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeoGTV6
G'day Daz

It's really difficult to say if you'll need the brackets or not, but to explain what happened in my situation. I hope it helps in some way...?

As far as I know, AU1 and AU2 uprights are different and there are two different uprights for AU3. Whether you need adapter brackets to fit the Premium brake calipers depends on what uprights you car has.

My AU2 TE50 never had Premium brakes (it was an option on T2 TE50, only standard on TS50 and TL50 in the AU2 T-series range). My car had standard AU2 brake setup.

I purchased the calipers off ebay (brand new) before researching and read nothing but "you need adapter brackets." I tried everywhere to find the brackets and the only lead I had was to have some made, using a borrowed bracket as a pattern. The calipers and discs sat in the box under the bed for months.

One weekend I had the front wheel off (to replace a front wheel bearing). Once the new bearing and hub was on, I decided to "test fit" a 330mm disc to see how it looks and see how far off the caliper fitment was. Once the disc was on, I couldn't see how the Premium caliper wouldn't fit, so tried it. Everything lined up, no brackets, no stuffing around.

They are however fitted on the leading edge of the disc (as opposed to the factory fit being on the trailing edge of the disc).

I can't give you a definite idea of whether you need brackets or not - you may... HOWEVER the only way I knew I didn't need the brackets was to just bolt it all up and see.

Glad I didn't just go on what I read otherwise I'd have spent a good few hundred dollars on brackets I didn't need.

Cheers
I was just reading this lol

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...ickford+brakes
Old 12-09-2012, 12:50 AM   #14
CRAIGAU3220
Cat be Still !!!

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlfaRomeoGTV6
G'day Daz

Cheers
Could be eating my words ..............Good luck with it BZINGA.
Tune by XFT
Old 12-09-2012, 12:58 AM   #15
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

there are many brake upgrade threads for AU`s, i had a bit of a squiz but eyes are startin to fail me ,you`ll probably find the info here if your eyes can hold out ;).
hoppers stoppers a while ago had brackets for their own brake upgrade kit for Au`s, i had quick look a few mins ago there`s no listing of it on their site that i can see, but they still might be able to help you, worth a phone call perhaps.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2012, 01:05 AM   #16
BZINGA