Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #1
badoc

Default AU II Wagon Overheating

Hi guys,

I'm hoping someone may be able to give some advice on my AUII Wagon that is starting to overheat when stopped (traffic lights, etc).

I'll outline the problem and what I've done to to try to fix it so far after reading the forums.

Problem: After warming up to a normal temp (driving), the car will start to overheat at any time it is stopped at lights or in traffic. It has reached the red (with the corresponding engine light) a couple times. The guage will go from between the 'N/O' to red if stopped within a few minutes.

What I've done so far:
When it happens, I turn the heater on high and it will either prevent the temperature from rising further or help it to come down slightly.

I've ensured there are no leaks from the system, replaced the thermostat and given the system a treat and flush. A bit of brown crap came out, but after the flush it is all clear water. I put in new coolant.
I checked the fans with the air-con on at startup and they work. It will run for 15-20 minutes (I haven't left it any longer, because it happens much faster on the road) like this and the fans are still on. I checked the drive belt and it's running the water pump. The radiator was only replaced about 2 years ago by a previous owner.

However, when I checked the car today (pulled over while driving) twice the fans were not running when the guage was in the red.

Is it possible the fans are turning off on the road?

What else could be causing this problem?

Thanks guys, much appreciated.

badoc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #2
Spirit
Starter Motor

Default Re: AU II Wagon Overheating

I'd say the thermos need replacing. Check the fan relays as well but fans most likely in my opinion. Had similar problem, replaced both thermos and all good.
Spirit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

G'day badoc, welcome to AFF! Check fuses 9 & 10, relays 6, 7 & 13 in the power distribution box under the bonnet. Fans come on when you hit the a/c button when cold? I'de still check the fans are operating correctly once the fuses & relays are ruled out. The sensor on the back of the cylinder head shouldnt be overlooked also.

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
SportsmanV8

Hi mate,

Are you certain it's not low on water? I ony ask because my AU used to lose water (from a leaking radiator), but never left a puddle.

Otherwise it may well be the thermos or some electrical thingamabob that tell them when to work..

Sorry, maybe not a lot of help but maybe useful to you
Old 13-12-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
4ford

Replace the radiator cap, with the correct one, be very sure of that!

Just because the fans run with aircon selected, doesn't mean they will run when an o'heat is sensed! (I think you've already proved that!)

The fans need two things to run, (1) power - check both the relevant fuse and power relay, and (2) something to trigger their startup at the right time - find out what that is (probably the sensor in the rear of the c/head) and replace that!
If the fans run with aircon, and don't run with an o'heat sensed, I'm thinking that the o'heat sensor is not triggering the startup! (#2 above)

I've heard lots of stories about the incorrect radiator cap being fitted and causing lots of cooling system problems.

Get the cooling system pressure tested!
4ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-12-2012, 10:29 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maka View Post
G'day badoc, welcome to AFF! Check fuses 9 & 10, relays 6, 7 & 13 in the power distribution box under the bonnet. Fans come on when you hit the a/c button when cold? I'de still check the fans are operating correctly once the fuses & relays are ruled out. The sensor on the back of the cylinder head shouldnt be overlooked also.

cheers, Maka
This is a good idea from Maka and too easy to test.

Turn on the car, turn on the A/C and if the thermos don't come on, then you know to check the fuses, relays and then if they're good, it could be time for new thermos.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-12-2012, 01:19 AM   #7
badoc

Thanks for the assistance, gents, much appreciated. I'll update you all once I've had a chance to follow up on some of this advice.
Old 15-12-2012, 07:50 PM   #8
badoc

Hi all, I checked the fuses and relays and they are all good. So now it's either the sensor or the thermos. Any tips on how to get to the sensor? I dot have the biggest hands in the world but tried today and there wasn't much room between the c/ head and firewall to be able I access it. (Am I going for the right one?)

Cheers all
Old 15-12-2012, 08:54 PM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

G'day badoc,

yep thats the one, but wait! Here's some reading material BEFORE ripping out the cts (cylinder head temp sensor) -

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=3060044

http://www.fordmods.com/ford-4l-and-...e-t109679.html

I would check the operation of the fans first (direct 12v to them individually like in the links above), then the sensor, hopefully the problem lies in one of those two. Keep us posted!

cheers, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Old 15-12-2012, 09:02 PM   #10
AUFanboy

Hey,

The sensor is connected to the ECU, which then sends the temperature info (along with other stuff) to the dash cluster via a serial data connection. So if your temp gauge is working then the sensor must be working. The fans should come on low speed when the gauge reaches the last mark before the N (of Normal). They should then switch into high speed mode (jet taking off) at about 105 degrees, which on an AUII will be just between N and O (the gauge is faked somewhat and sits in the same spot from 92 to 110ish). I would replace all three relays and start the car and check for low and high speed fan operation.

Here's the schematic from the manual:
http://www.fordwrm.co.za/manuals/For...on_auII664.pdf
and
http://www.fordwrm.co.za/manuals/For...on_auII665.pdf
AUFanboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-12-2012, 03:12 PM   #11
badoc

Hi guys,

Thanks for the extra bits of advice Maka and AUFanboy. For sure the temp gauge on the cluster is working - so I guess that rules out the CTS.

I've now tested the fans with direct 12V. Both primary and secondary run normally.

So, before I change the respective relays and assume it's done an dusted with the help of you lads - just one more question to draw on any other experiences you all may have had.

Is it still possible its the thermos, even though they run fine on direct 12v and run on startup with the aircon?

Cheers,
Old 16-12-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Hey badoc,

i believe the fans should be good - you could throw new relays in & it still wont work- a crook ecu, wiring loom damage & bad earth points are other items that can be the culprit.

How did you check the existing relays? Did you swap the horn or headlight relays around with the thermo fan relays? Can you confirm theres no coolant level sensor in the coolant header tank? Series 2 AU Falcons apparently do not have them.

I reckon (i may be wrong) the ect can be still faulty & read temp correct but wont send temp info to ecu, so either the ecu is not getting the temp info (ect or wiring loom etc) or the relays/ecu or wiring loom ect is damaged and not sending the activate signal to the thermo's. Bush mechanic rule no 1- go cheaper fix first!

An ecu scan could come in handy down the track if having no luck (best to do right at the start of troublesooting though )

cheers, Maka

Old 17-01-2013, 03:30 AM   #13
badoc

Hey guys,

Sorry for the big delay in replying - Xmas and all has kept me away.

After a couple hours of deeper investigation, I found a bit of a weird petina had formed on one of the clip/connectors from the looms to one of the fan relays. Bit of a scrape with a flat head screwdriver and it solved the problem.

Thanks so much for all the tips and advice. Saved me from buying a new fan for no reason!
Old 17-01-2013, 06:06 PM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Thumbs up Re: AU II Wagon Overheating

Quote:
Originally Posted by badoc View Post
Hey guys,

Sorry for the big delay in replying - Xmas and all has kept me away.

After a couple hours of deeper investigation, I found a bit of a weird petina had formed on one of the clip/connectors from the looms to one of the fan relays. Bit of a scrape with a flat head screwdriver and it solved the problem.

Thanks so much for all the tips and advice. Saved me from buying a new fan for no reason!
So glad that it was something simple AND inexpensive. Sadly, often that is not the case.

Another win for the AUvians! Well done guys!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post