Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-01-2013, 11:10 AM   #61
last fairlane
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cool Re: Proposed new QLD laws for LHD vehicles???

About the blinkers
My 72 Mustang has Hyundai blinker globe holders
where the reversing lights are with orange globes
blinkers are fine just the reversing lights are orange
just like they used to be
last fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 11:28 AM   #62
turbodewd
FG Falcon fan

Default Re: Proposed new QLD laws for LHD vehicles???

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Now that's just a ridiculous thing to write.
Mate, its called sarcasm.
turbodewd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 12:03 PM   #63
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Mate with the amount of stupid post on here it's hard to tell whos being sarcastic and who is fair dinkum. Don't worry I'm a sarcastic ***** too, and because we are just typing, there's no tone in voices or facial expressions, then it's a bit hard.

Exception of coarse goes to pottery beige, because he's always being sarcastic or a smartie pants.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #64
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

yeah we need a sarcasm emoticon at hand
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 02:22 PM   #65
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

IIRC Imported vehicles older than 1970 in NSW do not need amber blinkers - my Galaxie was roadworthied with the flashing tail lights.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 07:58 PM   #66
SPArKy_Dave
Too many Fords........ :)

The flashing tail lights on my mates 67 Thunderbird convertible are awesome.......

Who would've thought Ford would come up with chasing indicator lights from the factory........

97 EL V8 wagon - cool cruiser, or street bruiser? CLICKY
93 XG panel van - at your door in 60 secs, or the first hr is FREE........ yep, that's the goal.
95 XG ute - awaiting a head gasket...... grrrrr.

74 XB GS pano..... factory optioned with all the good stuff..... not much there now. ........long term resto.
XB Coupe and Van TV Ad
you know........ there's a little bit of Bathurst in every Ford Falcon.... think about it
SPArKy_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by 350125GO View Post
To protect the Australian car industry? Pretty obvious I thought?
How is that protecting our car industry? You can still buy imports, just not LHD ones.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #68
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercurySilver View Post
id love them to get rid of the law completely
I would expect that QLD would have to lead the charge to change to LHD and the rest of the country would follow soon afterwards. None of the other states have such a high number of LHD mustangs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
How is that protecting our car industry? You can still buy imports, just not LHD ones.
It slows the grey import market. if we were LHD you could buy your Ford in Thailand or USA and avoid the costs associated with a local dealer and buy it at their local currency rates.
Old 10-01-2013, 07:14 PM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
I would expect that QLD would have to lead the charge to change to LHD and the rest of the country would follow soon afterwards. None of the other states have such a high number of LHD mustangs.

It slows the grey import market. if we were LHD you could buy your Ford in Thailand or USA and avoid the costs associated with a local dealer and buy it at their local currency rates.
They still need to meet ADRs, the reason an F250 is so expensive here isn't just the RHD conversion, its what is involved in getting it to meet ADRs and on top of that the company has to make money out of it too.

I'd imagine it would knock off a fair bit of the price though.

VDC quoted me $40,000 on a conversion and compliance on a new F250.

I also doubt it would have much of an effect on our manufacturers, because if something was popular enough for people to be importing it in LHD they would probably already identified the market and be selling it locally.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 10-01-2013 at 07:31 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #70
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

You're right there...the number of Mustangs for sale exploded once they let you register them LHD here in Queensland. As I said, I seriously looked at one that had tired paint and plain-Jane vinyl interior, but was in good overall order, registered and LO2 complied. It was a six cylinder auto, with one of the old under dash air con units (regassed and working) and they only wanted something like $18,500 for it. Unregistered and ready for compliance V8 ones started down a bit over twenty grand and went up from there. Complied (and sometimes registered) ones were down around twenty to twenty five grand as well for good ones.

I saw a news item late last year from the USA on a university that was facing accusations of being not very environmentally friendly because they were offering a deal with the local Chevrolet dealer for any graduating students to come in and buy one of those bloody great Chev trucks, a base model but with air con and some other extras, for a special price of just on $21,000 at a low interest rate loan.

Yes, I know that there are costs involved in compliancing...but basically it's headlights and seatbelts...something which I have never understood. Yanks are human beings too, so one would assume that an approved seat belt over there would be OK for use here as well...but I suppose it protects the local makers again. Did I hear somewhere that vehicles from the USA had to have a wheel alignment as well because of the different camber of a "drive on the left side" road system?

If they let in LHD cars, the rest of the stuff is small potatoes...Hardly seems to be stuff that would cost tens of thousands of dollars extra...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #71
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here goes - not sure if this is what it is or what it is going to be but I have a feeling that it's in.

Hot rods - no pre '48 LHD. If you have one that is LHD either deregister it or change it over to RHD.

Other vehicles - over 30 yrs, LHD is ok unless you wish to sell it (must be RHD to sell).

15-30yrs - if LHD that's ok unless you wish to sell it (must be RHD to sell).

If you have a car in either of those categories and you let the rego lapse for whatever reason, it must be converted to RHD to re-register.

0-15 - must be RHD, no if's no buts.

Eventually all cars will end up RHD even if you keep your LHD until you die - it would have to be converted to RHD to put it in someone else's name (even as a gift to a family member).

Now, before you shoot me down, I'm pretty sure I've got that right.

e&oe
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #72
350125GO
67 Galaxie Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
Here goes - not sure if this is what it is or what it is going to be but I have a feeling that it's in.

Hot rods - no pre '48 LHD. If you have one that is LHD either deregister it or change it over to RHD.

Other vehicles - over 30 yrs, LHD is ok unless you wish to sell it (must be RHD to sell).

15-30yrs - if LHD that's ok unless you wish to sell it (must be RHD to sell).

If you have a car in either of those categories and you let the rego lapse for whatever reason, it must be converted to RHD to re-register.

0-15 - must be RHD, no if's no buts.

Eventually all cars will end up RHD even if you keep your LHD until you die - it would have to be converted to RHD to put it in someone else's name (even as a gift to a family member).

Now, before you shoot me down, I'm pretty sure I've got that right.

e&oe
Must be different up in QLD - no issues selling LHD cars down in NSW over 25 years old.
350125GO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 08:32 AM   #73
jandj

There are no new laws coming in affecting LHD vehicles here in QLD. I spoke with a bloke friday from QLD modify rego office, and the 30yr law still stands. He went on to say if you had a 1971 falcon and had to bring it up to 2013 vehicle standards, it is impossible. What they go on is the year the vehicle is released thats the standards they go off, so the 1971 falcon they would have to go off 1971 standards when the car was released. Hope this clears the matter up.
jandj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2013, 08:49 AM   #74
JG66ME
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Great tech articles and assistance to all in the Classics arena. 

Quote:

Cars in Thailand are right hand drive
JG66ME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2013, 09:46 AM   #75
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jandj View Post
There are no new laws coming in affecting LHD vehicles here in QLD. I spoke with a bloke friday from QLD modify rego office, and the 30yr law still stands. He went on to say if you had a 1971 falcon and had to bring it up to 2013 vehicle standards, it is impossible. What they go on is the year the vehicle is released thats the standards they go off, so the 1971 falcon they would have to go off 1971 standards when the car was released. Hope this clears the matter up.
At last someone took the trouble to make a phone call instead of listening to his brothers mate who might have heard it in a pub. Thank you.

The actual Qld law can be found here.....

http://www.tmr.qld.gov.au/Registrati...oncession.aspx

The types of vehicle eligible to participate in the scheme
Vehicles that fall within one of the following categories may be registered under the scheme:
1. Historic vehicles (light and heavy vehicles that are at least 30 years old)
2. Street rods (vehicles modified for safe road use that have a body and frame built before 1949 or is a
replica of a motor vehicle, the body and frame of which were built before 1949)
3. Historic ambulances and fire-fighting equipment vehicles under 30 years old
 Retired ambulances that were used as an ambulance vehicle but are now used for display by an
ambulance service or historical ambulance society.
 Retired fire-fighting equipment that was used for fire-fighting but is now used for display by an
historical fire brigade society.
Left hand drive (LHD) vehicles may be registered under the scheme if they are a
 light vehicle (gross vehicle mass (GVM) not over 4.5 tonnes) and at least 30 years old, or a
 heavy vehicle (GVM over 4.5 tonnes) at least 30 years old and has been issued with a LHD Exemption

Permit.
In the case of historic ambulances and fire-fighting equipment vehicles less than 30 years old, the vehicle must
be converted to right hand drive (RHD).