Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #31
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 
Default Re: Modifications you did when young and stupid...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
Lol, I used to have a r31 skyline powered by the mighty l20 na 6... I ripped out the entire windscreen washer system, remounted it in the boot with the jets in the arches spraying straight onto the rear tyres. Then filed the reservoir with diesel.
Was almost as entertaining as squirting pedestrians.
^^^ I don't feel so alone anymore.

Add vise grips clamped on the rear brake flex hose for a line lock kit.

Edit: I hope we're not giving the younger members any stupid ideas!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.

Last edited by supershifty; 30-11-2012 at 10:09 AM.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-11-2012, 10:50 AM   #32
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

I lowered my ultra high powered HB Torana by cutting a good two loops off the front springs and oxy'ed the rears... damned look cool on them bump stops!
Same car, previous owner painted it "Ford clevo blue" without removing the metal side mouldings(which were painted black) so I removed them now had "gold" side stripes... looked really good blue paint gold side stripes with a black vinyl roof

The silliest thing I did was the fitment of 13" gemini wheels on the rear, gem pcd is bigger so I filed the stud holes till they fitted then used some pvc pipe on the hub center to line the wheel's up then on a spare axle welded the outside of the holes to take up the slack... then proceeded to destroy all the old mans counter sink bits so the nuts sat nice in the holes.
The bloke who put on the fatty 205's didnt even notice they had been modded, he was a little miffed about the pvc but! I managed to get this beasty up too the ton(down a huge hill, must've been a tail wind too!)didnt vibrate at all
XP6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #33
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Not much has changed has it.

Ford spend $500 million making a new car and people think a $50 gadget from (insert aftermarket part company here) will improve things by 20%...

If it is really THAT good Ford would have bought the company and put it in themselves.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #34
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah yes, the unsafe stuff we used to do as well...I neglected to mention that stuff, but seeing as how someone else has started it...

* Fitting "metal race compound pads" to your street car because you think it will give your car magical amazing stopping power...and instead you almost soil your trousers the first time you hit the brakes and discover all they did was give your brake pedal all the feel of standing on a block of wood, and when cold made it seem as if there were no brake pads at all...not to mention wearing out your discs so fast it wasn't funny...

* Making roll cages out of exhaust pipe just so it looked good and was cheap...I wasn't guilty of that.

* Having a mate at the council turn up a full set of suspension bushes for your TE Cortina out of bronze...and discovering the hellish nightmare it made of your driving experience...harsh, no compliance, squeeking all the time...

* Watching a mate with a steel lathe put the flywheel off his worked six cylinder x-flow in the lathe and scallop huge areas of it away, leaving it a thin dish shape with only the surface the clutch plate bolts to and the ring gear edge intact...looking back I shudder to think how easily that thing would have flown apart at high revs...

* Making suspension lowering blocks...out of hardwood...and cutting coil springs at the front with a grinder or an oxy to lower a car...even to the extent of removing bump stops to get it low enough. Unfortunately some people even now think removing bump stops and fitting lowest of the low springs is a great idea for a street car on real world roads...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #35
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheek View Post
Window washer out of an EL falcon that is purely for squirting pedestrians, hang on that was a month ago :P
Used to love doing that in my old Hyundai Accent. Now my BF has the washer jets underneath the bonnet so I can't do it anymore.

Damn technology.

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 11:05 AM   #36
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

I thought it would be a great idea to fit a V8 Supercar body kit to my AU XR.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 11:10 AM   #37
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

And BTW, This thread is useless without pics!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
Sioso
irregular member

I bought an LJ Torana with a 138 red motor (2.85L)4 door 3 speed manual for $800 then went and spent $2000 for a custom made exhaust.

Sounded great, was as slow as a snail and ended up selling it for $250 when it broke down 6 months later.
Sioso is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 01:05 PM   #39
oddnutz

back in the 90's i had a red xf with a set of original 16 inch dishy gold Simmons mesh type rims that were worth more than the car (stupidly traded them in with the car in 99 for a ed xr6 ). I wanted a gold exhaust tip and the only one i could find had a round thing in it with small holes that made a whooshing wannabe turbo sound lol

Last edited by oddnutz; 30-11-2012 at 01:11 PM.
oddnutz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 01:31 PM   #40
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

All I can say is silver frost.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #41
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
All I can say is silver frost.

LMFAO

Years ago just before I got married my wife was using my V8 Fairlane to drive to and from work and it was costing as a fortune (Fuel had just his 0.79pl) so I went to the auctions and got her a then only a few years old N12 Pulsar for something like $300.00.

Only 1 problem it was a deceased estate & old mate who owned it before had actually passed away in it, it must have been a few days from the time of his passing till the time he was removed because the stain in the driver’s seat wasn’t pretty and the smell

well this gives you an idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKiB3g9hgQg

I being the really nice fiancé decided to make the car pretty for my bride to be so and the luxo Pulsars had a silver two tone job (below the body mould) so I went to the reject shop and grabbed a carton of $2.00 silver and cut sick

I also detailed the car and got the stain out of it and took it home to my blushing bride

It was a coolish over cast March day and everything went well and she loved it, she took it to work the next day and locked it up out in the car park, the temp that day hit around 30° as all the girls left for the day at 5 she very proudly showed off her new to her pulsar her fiancé had got her, opened the door to show them through it and promptly threw up. She then composed herself walked back inside (before every one had mobile phones) rang me crying and told me of this foul smell that was in her beautiful new car.

Shocked I said look don’t worry about it I’ll come down and you can drive the fairlane home and I’ll take the pulsar back to my workshop and find out what had caused it, again I cleaned it top to toe, I even pulled all the seats & carpet out and ripped in to them with the pressure washer likewise on the door trims etc and I scrubbed the hood lining with prep sol allowed it to dry out completely and re assembled it before giving it back to her the weather was cool for the next week or so and she was happy as Larry until the weather warmed up and BAM spew city in the work car park.

It was then that I owned up to why I got the car so cheap

I sold it a week later to some poor bugger, I ended up crushing troff lollies up and putting them under the carpet to tone the smell down a bit, the guy that got it loved it he drove it round for years and even became a customer at my shop until he wrote it off when someone ran up his clacker at the lights one day

O Yea the silver paint turned to crap not long after its first aplication so it had to be redone before I sold it, not long after the guy got it, he took it all off by washing the lower 1/2 of the car with turps and then cutting it back

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by The Yeti; 30-11-2012 at 02:40 PM.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2012, 03:17 PM   #42
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
LMFAO

Years ago just before I got married my wife was using my V8 Fairlane to drive to and from work and it was costing as a fortune (Fuel had just his 0.79pl) so I went to the auctions and got her a then only a few years old N12 Pulsar for something like $300.00.

Only 1 problem it was a deceased estate & old mate who owned it before had actually passed away in it, it must have been a few days from the time of his passing till the time he was removed because the stain in the driver’s seat wasn’t pretty and the smell

well this gives you an idea http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKiB3g9hgQg

I being the really nice fiancé decided to make the car pretty for my bride to be so and the luxo Pulsars had a silver two tone job (below the body mould) so I went to the reject shop and grabbed a carton of $2.00 silver and cut sick

I also detailed the car and got the stain out of it and took it home to my blushing bride

It was a coolish over cast March day and everything went well and she loved it, she took it to work the next day and locked it up out in the car park, the temp that day hit around 30° as all the girls left for the day at 5 she very proudly showed off her new to her pulsar her fiancé had got her, opened the door to show them through it and promptly threw up. She then composed herself walked back inside (before every one had mobile phones) rang me crying and told me of this foul smell that was in her beautiful new car.

Shocked I said look don’t worry about it I’ll come down and you can drive the fairlane home and I’ll take the pulsar back to my workshop and find out what had caused it, again I cleaned it top to toe, I even pulled all the seats & carpet out and ripped in to them with the pressure washer likewise on the door trims etc and I scrubbed the hood lining with prep sol allowed it to dry out completely and re assembled it before giving it back to her the weather was cool for the next week or so and she was happy as Larry until the weather warmed up and BAM spew city in the work car park.

It was then that I owned up to why I got the car so cheap

I sold it a week later to some poor bugger, I ended up crushing troff lollies up and putting them under the carpet to tone the smell down a bit, the guy that got it loved it he drove it round for years and even became a customer at my shop until he wrote it off when someone ran up his clacker at the lights one day

O Yea the silver paint turned to crap not long after its first aplication so it had to be redone before I sold it, not long after the guy got it, he took it all off by washing the lower 1/2 of the car with turps and then cutting it back
Did she become your wife?
Old 30-11-2012, 04:35 PM   #43
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO View Post
Did she become your wife?
yep chalked up 15 years this year, and Ive converter here from owning a KE70 Corolla when we met, she sold that and we shared the fairlane (along with the Pulsar), in 2000 she worked hand in hand building this car (she even colour sanded it when she was 7months Pregnant with our son

and now she got tired of me building one with out us having a driving cruizer and she brought her self this

shes a keeper, she even told me to build my shed bigger when we built it

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-11-2012, 05:45 PM   #44
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Thread over, you win the prize....
Old 30-11-2012, 05:58 PM   #45
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Not me but my uncle put a stainless steel drift wing on his old EA Falcon that wasn't even color coded to the car.
Old 30-11-2012, 10:49 PM   #46
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
yep chalked up 15 years this year, and Ive converter here from owning a KE70 Corolla when we met, she sold that and we shared the fairlane (along with the Pulsar), in 2000 she worked hand in hand building this car (she even colour sanded it when she was 7months Pregnant with our son

and now she got tired of me building one with out us having a driving cruizer and she brought her self this

shes a keeper, she even told me to build my shed bigger when we built it
Yep you landed a good one there, loved the story mate.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #47
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

VK Commodore, 1984....

16 Year old Self: "Needs to be louder, better flowing exhaust for killerwasps"
Mate: "AHHHH Yeah well your muffler looks like it got a hole in it"
16 Year old self: "I KNOW!" *grabs tin snips*

Exhaust went from engine straight out the bottom of the front muffler and sounded like a boeing 747 engine inside a giant milo tin.... AWFUL...

Got pulled up a week later by the local copper who abused the daylights out of me for being a knob (and rightly so)... went to Rob Bliss a day later and had a catback system put on, god it sounded nice... still miss that car.

Also slammed my old AU Fairmont Ghia, except I didn't know anything about lowering cars so I got my springs and struts mixed up...

As we were lowering it off the jack it went from "HEY That's a bit lower than what I thought it would be!" to "Hey that's a LOT LOWER than I thought it would be!" to..... "Awwwwwwww shi-.... we've boned it....." here are the results... enjoy:

My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2012, 08:55 PM   #48
Shanes Ghia
Angry Bird on 20's

You'll love this... Bought a Suzuki MightyBoy.... It was black with a bright yellow stripe down the middle! Turfed the stripe, added a bonnet scoop (off an E38 or E49 series Charger and reversed it). A set of white hubcaps, bolted a white Chevy bowite to the grille, a hotdog muffler and to top it off, chrome skull door lock knobs!!!
Shanes Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2012, 09:03 PM   #49
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanes Ghia View Post
You'll love this... Bought a Suzuki MightyBoy.... It was black with a bright yellow stripe down the middle! Turfed the stripe, added a bonnet scoop (off an E38 or E49 series Charger and reversed it). A set of white hubcaps, bolted a white Chevy bowite to the grille, a hotdog muffler and to top it off, chrome skull door lock knobs!!!
You bought a Suzuki Mightyboy and you did all that but DIDN'T turn the 'tray' into a mobile beer fridge?!

That's what they're for!

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #50
Shanes Ghia
Angry Bird on 20's

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWTB View Post
You bought a Suzuki Mightyboy and you did all that but DIDN'T turn the 'tray' into a mobile beer fridge?!

That's what they're for!

Yeah, I know!! I was young and stupid ......oh wait.. not much has changed...just the years!

Heres one more... mate of dad's left his car at our house for a few months whist he went away. A MAZDA BONGO VAN!! Sheesh...remember them?? Like the Mighty Boy, it had the unique ability of being a complete rocket going down an extremely steep incline..
The young me thought "here's a go, I'll use this for a while and keep th E.K tucked in the shed!" A week later, I had removed the mags off my E.K and nailed them under the Bongo! They were the same stud pattern and they fitted on, protruding about an inch outside the wheel arches!! It wasnt fast, but it made a great party bus!!

....Think I was dropped on my head when I was born.....
Shanes Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 12:11 AM   #51
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

lol ...XW with a custom tube XY grill , square headlights (mazda RX2) and a new genuine cobra bonnet scoop from ford spares. looked pretty bad. went hard for a 250 with 4 speed. dont laugh at me ... it was the `80s.

`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 12:50 AM   #52
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave351cid View Post
dont laugh at me ... it was the `80s.
Crazy decade, that's for sure
Old 02-12-2012, 07:43 AM   #53
Angeldust

converted a UC torrie from 202 to 308... in hindsight, i should have just bought a factory standard v8, although the conversion was very easy it still had a long way to go to being 'finished' and was worthless so i got rid of it after 7 years.

Z series Clubsport HRT edition..
e46 320ci 2.2ltr Stocko
Angeldust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2012, 10:35 AM   #54
RegSpec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Back in late 70's.....yeah, I am that old...
One of my friends (Glen) decided to raise the back of his HR wagon to fit some bigger wheels....
Now to achieve this on the cheap, he fabricated a set of rear spring hangers that would easily have been 25 cms long......it didnt matter that you needed a stepladder to get into the tailgate, or the headlights were pointed into the ground or you always had the feeling that you were driving downhill.....
The wheels now fitted and in those days....it looked kinda cool......so all was good..
At the time....the local shopping centre had a railway overpass that was ramped on both sides and in the early hours of the morning there was nothing more fun than starting off at one end of the shops and seeing how much air you could get over the bridge....there was nights when we'd have 10 or more cars doing this!
Glen decides this looks like fun and comes charging full noise down the street, launches over the bridge and it looked awesome......until he hit the ground and snapped both back springs!!
The diff disappeared under the car, the wheels jammed hard up under the guards and the spark show as the underbody and rear bar hit the ground was spectacular to say the least!
New ride....07' RSpec manual Typhoon in Winter White....factory sunroof, Premium sound, Process West intercooler, upsized tubing, valve springs, 1000cc injectors, Delphi intank pump,*modified turbo, 4" dump, 5" cat, dual 2 1/2" Xforce exhaust, Mal Wood Opt 5 clutch, Herrod shifter, Ozrace coilovers with adj. Whiteline bars, 6 spot Brembos,
Edit by Crescent Motorsport.....382rwkws @ 1150nms on E85....
RegSpec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #55
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shanes Ghia View Post
Yeah, I know!! I was young and stupid ......oh wait.. not much has changed...just the years!

Heres one more... mate of dad's left his car at our house for a few months whist he went away. A MAZDA BONGO VAN!! Sheesh...remember them?? Like the Mighty Boy, it had the unique ability of being a complete rocket going down an extremely steep incline..
The young me thought "here's a go, I'll use this for a while and keep th E.K tucked in the shed!" A week later, I had removed the mags off my E.K and nailed them under the Bongo! They were the same stud pattern and they fitted on, protruding about an inch outside the wheel arches!! It wasnt fast, but it made a great party bus!!

....Think I was dropped on my head when I was born.....
Had an old hiace van and had 8inch 12 slotters with 265s on back and 245 on front. All of my mate called it the roller skate.