Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-10-2012, 09:44 AM   #61
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Default Re: Mandatory comprehensive insurance for p platers in NSW?

It was with JC insurance... so no small company. Trouble was the other driver was on his ps with restricted passenger numbers - long story short his insurer wouldn't cover - so I had the choice of paying the excess and taking the ncb hit or pursuing the driver thru court to recover costs. (I didn't have a police report nor witness statements which hurt)

How many people on here read all pages of the PDS before signing up?

There's a reason third party property is so cheap compared to full comp....
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 10:00 AM   #62
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It seems some of you have no idea what different types of insurance cover.
CTP greenslip covers bodily injury to third parties only
Third party property damage covers damage to propery belonging to other people
Comprehensive insurance covers the same as third party property damage but also covers you own car, but it does not cover bodily injury
Saying I have comprehensive why should I pay for a green slip shows a complete lack of understanding of insurance. check what your different policies cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiesta_Man69
It was with JC insurance... so no small company. Trouble was the other driver was on his ps with restricted passenger numbers - long story short his insurer wouldn't cover - so I had the choice of paying the excess and taking the ncb hit or pursuing the driver thru court to recover costs. (I didn't have a police report nor witness statements which hurt)

No police report? well you only have yourself to blame. if someone else is in the wrong with more the the most minor scrape always get the cops involved

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO

Last edited by FGII-XR6; 16-10-2012 at 10:09 AM.
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 11:56 AM   #63
tranquilized
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

What difference would it have made had that guy had comprehensive insurance then? Or maybe he did, either way - the insurance company wouldn't cover it.

And see this is why I cant stand insurance companies, and find the idea of making it compulsory so abhorrent. They'll look for any excuse not to pay a claim out. They might find a legitimate reason, fine, but other times its not so legitmate. Imagine how many drivers are out there with paid up comprehensive insurance, who aren't actually covered. They'll take your money no questions asked, but make a claim - thats when they'll be asking all the questions.

Any legislation that increases the profits of these disgusting companies is a very bad idea. Maybe if it was a government run/regulated, not for profit insurance scheme, like the TAC third party levy in Victoria but extended to cover property- then compulsory insurance could be a good idea.
tranquilized is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #64
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would be in favour of compulsory insurance if a prerequisite was that for an insurance company to be elegible they must be prepared to insure public events at and reasonable low premium.

Of course this would also require NZ type legislation similar to "If you jump off a bungy while off your tree on drugs and then vomit on your new trendy shoes causing you to slip over and hit your head on a rock you can't sue the entire world because IT IS YOUR FAULT IDIOT".
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 12:30 PM   #65
sd1800
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I always considered it part of my responsibility as a road user to have at least 3rd party property. My first car was written off by an red p plater 18year old driving his mums 5 year old Pulsar. Neither of them had insurance other than a greenslip or had any money. He wrote his mums car off too....

Luckily for me, my 3rd party property policy also paid me up to $3k if i was hit by an uninsured driver but if this wasn't the case i'd be up **** creek!

Now......
2012 FG MK2 XR6 Turbo
- Manual & Luxury Pack
- 302rwkw

2019 Escape St-Line
sd1800 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 12:39 PM   #66
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
No police report? well you only have yourself to blame. if someone else is in the wrong with more the the most minor scrape always get the cops involved
So if someone backed into you in a carpark and caused minor damage you would call the cops? Can't imagine what their response might be...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 12:53 PM   #67
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So if someone backed into you in a carpark and caused minor damage you would call the cops? Can't imagine what their response might be...
I do not know about NSW but in QLD if the combined damage bill is greater than $6k or anyone is hurt then calling the Police is mandatory.
Just repainting the side of a car and a little panel work can easily be more than $3k.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 12:56 PM   #68
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You clearly said it cost 2K excess so the damage was by no means minor. significant damage = call the cops the other driver has no choice in the matter.
Quote:

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 01:07 PM   #69
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I do not know about NSW but in QLD if the combined damage bill is greater than $6k or anyone is hurt then calling the Police is mandatory.
Just repainting the side of a car and a little panel work can easily be more than $3k.
$1500 per panel is what we were advised recently.

Some idiot pulled out from a roadside carpark and side swiped my wifes AU.
The police didnt attend as there were no bodily injuries, but they said a report number is essential for anything over $3k, and that as 2 panels, the left rear door and dogleg, were damaged it would exceed the $3k.
She took the car to the local station and they made a report with all the other drivers details.
Car was repaired within 10 days.

Definately a need for 3rd party property, if not full comp, no question.
Had full comp for 15yrs, rating 1, only had one at fault accident with no other party involved, the other half a dozen claims were not at fault.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #70
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Not sure what happened in your case, but if you are not at fault for an accident, have full comp and you give the other person details, name address, rego you would be covered and not have to pay excess.

It states that in JC PDS. Also been with JCI for a few years and have never had to pay an excess when I am not at fault.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 02:17 PM   #71
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
There's nothing stopping you from going down to the nearest cop shop and filing a police report - there's no need for them to attend in that circumstance.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #72
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquilized
What difference would it have made had that guy had comprehensive insurance then? Or maybe he did, either way - the insurance company wouldn't cover it.

And see this is why I cant stand insurance companies, and find the idea of making it compulsory so abhorrent. They'll look for any excuse not to pay a claim out. They might find a legitimate reason, fine, but other times its not so legitmate. Imagine how many drivers are out there with paid up comprehensive insurance, who aren't actually covered. They'll take your money no questions asked, but make a claim - thats when they'll be asking all the questions.

Any legislation that increases the profits of these disgusting companies is a very bad idea. Maybe if it was a government run/regulated, not for profit insurance scheme, like the TAC third party levy in Victoria but extended to cover property- then compulsory insurance could be a good idea.
I love when people have the above opinion on insurance companies. Insurance companies are not in the business of not paying out claims. If they did they would go broke because no one would insure with them. Most insurance company have a 98% to 99% of paying out claims.

IMO the reason people say this, is they hear 1 bad story from a friend relative etc. and from then on, insurance companies are bad.

It actual cost the insurance company more to not payout a claim, than pay it out.

Also about the police report thing.
Insurance company does not need a police report for a car accident. In Victoria you only have to get a police report if someone is hurt. When I worked in claims, it would take up to 8 weeks to get the report. In most cases we had already settled the claim by the time the report came through.

1 thing to remember police are criminal and insurance are civil, so even if the police reports says 1 thing, it may not always be the way the insurance company goes.
Old 16-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #73
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You said that you didn`t want to make this a p plater bashing affair! why did you mention them then! All people should have atleast have 3rd party property,To cover the other driver,I`m more worried about the ones that don`t have insurance at all! Wether they be p plater or not!
Old 16-10-2012, 03:04 PM   #74
eyes87
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Third party property I believe should be compulsory but not full comprehensive.
For example. My first car cost me $350. Full comprehensive insurance on it was going to be something like $480 a year. So no I didnt get it. Why would? I have always had a minimum of third party property on all my cars though.

PERFORMANCE MODS CAI + pod filter. That's all for the moment. More to come soon

VISUAL MODS 18in wheels wrapped in pirelli pzero nero. Push button start. Black XR8 badges, black 260 bonnet stripes, black 260 spoiler stickers, blackened sections on my tail lights, tinted side indicators, blue interior LEDs, HID head Lights, LED angel eyes and a BF typhoon front bar in the shed waiting to get painted.
eyes87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 03:32 PM   #75
flightstrike

If you cannot afford to cover yourself... you shouldn't be driving.

2010 FG XR6 Ute
flightstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 03:51 PM   #76
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
I personally have never had a car without the minimum of third party property. My theory is what would happen if I ran into a Bentley.
My parents made me do this as requirement of getting a car. even when i was unemployed i kept at least 3ppd. Now that my car is financed, i needed full comp, but i'm keeping it going while i'm working full time. As for running into an expensive car, you could end up like 'future marty' in Back to the Future 2 (crashed into a rolls royce)
Old 16-10-2012, 04:03 PM   #77
Hell Cat

Everyone should have full third party insurance- minimum, no matter what they drive or how old.

I got my 9month old car written off last year by a 50yr old guy who had no insurance (rear ended me)
He had no money, lucky I had insurance though.

Can't afford insurance, don't drive.
Hell Cat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 04:21 PM   #78
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A friend of mine used to work at Suncorp, and said that discussions were always going on about compulsory third party. There had even been a query about whether insurance companies could do it like "normal" insurance...assess each driver as the apply and give them a premium to suit, instead of one premium across everyone. Most people would pay less, but some would face pretty steep premiums.
This would "discriminate against not-so-good drivers" was always the answer from government.

To which I say 'So what?"

No reason full comprehensive covering you for ten or twenty million bucks damage couldn't be changed to also include injuries to the other person as well as their vehicle, and then you could sign a stat dec and have the compulsory third party dropped off your rego...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 06:45 PM   #79
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Lol. Wait til you get hit by a moron with third party property: read sweet fa insurance.

Then you find out about all the fine print in their insurance.

Third party property, at least from some big name companies, doesn't covet squat.

I wish I was wrong - I'd be $5K better off at least.

Like i've said before, the real test of insurance is when claims need to be settled.
Insurance PDS does not have fine print. I have read many PDS and not one has fine print. All the terms and conditions are in the same size font and not hidden.
Old 16-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #80
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Third party insurance should be mandatory, so if you accidentally hit someones new BMW you aren't going to be a homeless bankrupt for the rest of your life, and the person with the BMW doesn't have to put up with getting $10 a week for the next 2500 years.

When I totalled my car, both of us in the accident were P platers and we both had full comprehensive insurance.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2012, 11:37 PM   #81
falconnut
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yikes.

well i drove about 3 years on 3rd party and never had a accident, i guess i was very lucky.

When i got the car in my sig i finally coughed up for compo last december and havent regretted it since.

i can understand why alot of fellow p platers only have 3rd party
or no insurance at all
as $300 or less a year is alot less expensive than $900+ for compo

I only got my fulls last month but fellow p player bro's i really recommend you get compo IF you can afford it, gives me peace of mind.
falconnut is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #82
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Only problem is.... the issuers of CTP are laughing all the way to the bank... Funny that it has gone up by double digits each year for the past 5 or so years, yet I remember reading somewhere that some miniscule amount (less than 5%???) of that money goes towards claims...... profit margins must be massive.

It's compulsory, so you MUST buy it... which is why when you do a cross company quote there is often a variance of only $5-30...

So... if full insurance was made compulsory, prices WILL go up just like CTP.

I was in favour of this earlier in the thread, now I'm not so sure it is a good idea... I always have full comp if it is a car of value and 3rd party property for my $2000 shopping / run about car.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-10-2012, 11:01 AM   #83
Landau Stable
Landau Tragic

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For his many posts on welding and fabricating for coupes 

The trouble with comprehensive insurance for P platers is that they are the people who need it most, but being young are the people who can afford it the least. If it was made compulsory, there would be a lot less of them on the roads. In some cases that would be great, but the reality is that you'd get older drivers with no experience once they can afford their insurance, and also genuinely decent young drivers forced out of their cars as well. A reasonably priced 3rd party property damage price would be welcome, and would be happy to see it enforced rather than comprehensive, though it will sadly follow that of green slips, where these companies now know that you have no choice and will charge whatever they like. It would need to be more regulated to prevent this.