Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 13-10-2012, 06:39 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Minor service on your WS Fez (pic heavy)

Hey guys, I got bored so I thought I'd make up a little guide with pictures on how to service your WS Fez:

What you'll need:

Safety Equipment:

Knee pads
Safety glasses

I wear knee pads because over time you damage your knees when you kneel on hard surfaces all the time, safety glasses when under the car because when you fiddle around under there you tend to dislodge dirt and other crap and it always ends up in your eyes lol.

Jack stands:

Don't EVER get under a car that isn't supported by jack stands because it will one day end in tears for YOUR family, hydraulics can and do fail, the jack might drop and the car will be safely supported by stands, hoists have locks which when the hydraulics fail it stops the car from falling onto you.

Tools:

Trolley jack
13mm spanner
19mm socket
Oil filter wrench
T20 and T30 Torx bits or keys
Phillips screw driver
Funnel
Oil drain pan

Service items:

Oil filter
Air filter
Pollen filter
5L 5W-30 oil

Service time:

Start the car and let it run for 5 minutes or so, turn off the car, pop the bonnet and lift up the dip stick a little bit and take off the oil cap, this helps the oil come out quicker.

You can actually see the oil filter from the top of the engine, its the white thing under the conduit:

Put your knee pads on and just put your safety glasses on top of your head for now, grab your trolley jack and stands, jack up the car from the cross member behind the sump:

I had to go in from the side because my trolley jack is too tall but you probably won't have this issue.

Chuck your jack stands under the chassis rails:

Lower the car onto the jack stands, so all the weight of the car is supported by the stands, also as a precautionary measure I keep the jack under the cross member too:

Put your safety glasses on and get under the front of the car, just opposite the thermofans is the oil filter:

Here is the sump bolt:

Grab your 13mm spanner:

Chuck it on the sump bolt like so:

I'm under the passenger side of the car, to undo it I pushed on it and it undoes the bolt, you might need to hit it a few times to crack it. Make sure before you pull the bolt out you have an oil drain pan underneath:

Make sure you line it up properly first, I spilled oil in the driveway, oops.

Something I find quite awesome about the WS Fez is that it doesn't need a sump bolt washer like my LV Focus, it just has this rubber seal:

Sweet idea!

When all the oil has finally dripped out into your pan, MAKE SURE YOU DO THE DAMN SUMP BOLT UP!

Get your oil filter wrenches, yours might be different:

Mine go onto a ratchet:

Chuck it onto the oil filter:

It will leak out oil, so make sure you catch it with the drain pan again.

(Alternatively, you can punch a flat blade screw driver through it and twist it off)

Here is with the filter off, clean up the area with a rag:

Grab the new filter and put some new engine oil on the rubber seal, this makes it easier to take off next time:

Line up the new filter and twist it on by hand, it should spin freely until it gets to the rubber seal, just grab a rag and twist it on tight by hand, don't put it on with a filter wrench or it'll be a ***** to get off next time:

While the car is still in the air, I took off the front right hubcap and took off the wheel, you will want a 19mm socket for this, I used my impact gun but a half inch breaker bar will work fine:

With the wheel off, grab the rotor and pull it outwards, so you can check the brake pads, I only did the front driver side wheel as they will wear evenly on one axle anyway, so what you see here is most likely what you will see on the other wheel, the rear are drums and barely stop the car so they will be fine:

I put the wheel back on and did it up not too tightly with my impact gun, then I grabbed my torque wrench and make sure it was 110nm (or 80ftlb if you have an imperial torque wrench like me):

Grab your funnel and chuck it in the oil filler hole:

Fill up the oil up to the top notch on the dip stick indicating its full, then start the car and wait for the oil light to go out, let it run for another 20 or so seconds and check it again, it would have dropped a little because the filter will have filled up with the new oil, fill up the engine again until it goes back up to the full notch on the dip stick.

To do the air filter you will need your T30 torx bit or key, in my case I have torx bits and a 1/4" ratchet:

There are 4 T30 torx self tappers in the airbox lid:

Undo those and the lid lifts up showing the filter:

Pull out the filter and inspect:

Mine seemed alright so I put it back in, maybe next time it will get dirty enough to warrant replacement.

Put the new filter in if need be and replace the lid and tighten the screws up.

We'll check the washer bottle, I filled mine up with tap water and a little bit of this red stuff, you can get it from super cheap auto:

The coke bottle comes in handy, I fill it up and leave it in the car, so when it runs out away from home you can fill it up again next time you stop somewhere

Here is the washer bottle full with the additive in it:

Now go inside, wash your hands and grab a drink, otherwise you'll leave oil stains on the seat like I did when we go to replace the pollen filter next.

Once you're all washed up, open the drivers door and look in the footwell, you'll see this panel with one clip holding it in, I think Ford calls these things "scrivets" or some crap name like that.

Grab your phillips screw driver and just twist it lightly while not pushing it in, otherwise the screw part will just spin around, if you do it light enough the screw should separate from the clip and you can just pull it out:

Pull the trim out, it should just pull out like so:

You should see this behind it:

Grab a T20 torx bit/key and undo the single self tapper, the cover should pull away revealing the pollen filter:

Take it out and take notice of which way the airflow arrows were pointing on the filter:

The old filter is pretty dirty:

Chuck the new one in the same way, and do up your cover with the single torx bit, then put the trim back on and put the clip back into its hole.

Bingo, you've just carried out a minor service on your WS Fez, easy job.

You should probably rotate the wheels but I had new tyres fitted not too long ago so I'll do it next service.

Tyre pressures you can do at a servo, I'm not too sure on how to adjust the hand brake so I'll leave that to my local mechanic.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 13-10-2012 at 07:08 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: