Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-10-2012, 06:50 PM   #1
blue._.skyes

Default Pinion angle??

Hey guys...
So just a question... has anyone had any problems with pinion angles after lowering their AUs? Since putting SLs all round (at least I don't remember the noise being there before) mine has a rhythmic vibration/noise at about 95 - 105 kms/hr in top gear. If you kick it back a gear it goes away and if you take your foot off the gas it also disappears...
I am thinking it is a pinion angle issue and the unis are probably also shot as a result... anyone else had this happen? Or any other ideas as to what it could be? I did a search and couldn't find anything.
Car is an i6 with about 350 k on it and a rebuilt gearbox (auto).
Cheers

blue._.skyes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
Nic302ef
Cocoloko

Default Re: Pinion angle??

lowering does effect pinion angle, the au should have the multiple angle bolt points for changing the angle however you may need the correct upper control arms to suit.

In all the vehicles with live axles ive lowered never had an issue with viabration, how ever anything is possiable if your changing the geometry of the original setup. I would say there was a slight issue prior maybe with tail shaft ballance and lowering has made it stand out more.... possiablity

2010 Territory: family bus.

79 P7 LTD 351.
Nic302ef is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Pinion angle??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue._.skyes
Hey guys...
So just a question... has anyone had any problems with pinion angles after lowering their AUs? Since putting SLs all round (at least I don't remember the noise being there before) mine has a rhythmic vibration/noise at about 95 - 105 kms/hr in top gear. If you kick it back a gear it goes away and if you take your foot off the gas it also disappears...
I am thinking it is a pinion angle issue and the unis are probably also shot as a result... anyone else had this happen? Or any other ideas as to what it could be? I did a search and couldn't find anything.
Car is an i6 with about 350 k on it and a rebuilt gearbox (auto).
Cheers
I had a similar problem in an El wagon . lowered it a lot (was just 100mm off ground) and there was a slight vibration at low speed and around 130 , simply addes a thin angled wedge inder the spring packs lowering the diff nose a little and gone , rear joint was replaced as well just in case bue to wear
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post