Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-08-2012, 05:05 PM   #1
Pandemic

Default Ford Australia rolling out SYNC across the range

Quote:
Ford’s voice-activated SYNC in-car mobile connectivity system will be rolled out across all of its updated and new passenger models in Australia, and looks set to feature in the locally made Falcon and Territory when both are refreshed in 2014.

By connecting compatible mobile phones via Bluetooth or USB, SYNC fully integrates the key functions of the phone into the vehicle’s display screen, automatically downloading its contacts and allowing drivers to make and receive calls, listen to texts and play music using voice commands.

SYNC made its Australian debut in the updated Ford Focus LW MkII this month, launching with a unique voice assist, named ‘Cathy’, and updated voice recognition software designed to better understand the nuances of ‘Australian English’.

The all-new Ford Kuga SUV will be the next to feature SYNC technology when it lands in local showrooms in the first quarter of 2013, and will be followed by the brand-new Ford EcoSport compact SUV around the middle of next year, the updated Ford Fiesta by the third quarter of 2013 and the mid-sized Ford Mondeo, which is expected to arrive in early 2014.

SYNC implementation is also expected to be part of the $103 million upgrade to Ford Falcon sedan and ute and Ford Territory SUV for 2014 that was promised by the Campbellfield-based manufacturer in January.

Despite its impressive functionality, the version of SYNC initially offered by Ford Australia lacks some of the most innovative features of the system fitted by Ford across its cars in North America.

One of those is ‘911 Assist’, which uses the connected phone to automatically dial emergency services directly if the vehicle has been involved in an accident that has caused the airbags to deploy.

Unlike the emergency calling services already offered in some vehicles Australia, SYNC’s 911 Assist operates through the phone, so the driver or passengers can move away from the vehicle and continue the call, and is not part of an extra-cost subscription plan. Occupants have 10 seconds to cancel dialling if emergency assistance is not required.

Ford Australia is currently working on adding a local ‘000 Assist’ feature to its SYNC-equipped vehicles, and could have it ready as early as next year.
AppLink is another function missing from Ford Australia’s SYNC program, but one it is also working hard to bring to market in the near future.

AppLink allows SYNC to access compatible mobile applications on iPhone, Android and BlackBerry smartphones, fully integrating their functions into the vehicle’s display screen and allowing drivers to operate them through voice commands.

The list of SYNC-enabled apps currently includes a number of internet radio services like TuneIn Radio, Pandora, Stitcher and Slacker, as well as OpenBeak Twitter post reader, Destinations turn-by-turn navigation service and Roximity, which lists the latest offers and discounts available at nearby places.

A number of designers are currently working on making AppLink available in Ford Australia’s SYNC-equipped vehicles.

Ford Asia Pacific and Africa and Europe connected services director Ed Pleet says the number of SYNC-equipped vehicles in the world will more than triple from today’s four million to 13 million by the middle of the decade.
http://www.caradvice.com.au/188480/f...-across-range/

I guess something which will increase the list of features for the Falcon and Territory.

I'd like to see the triple zero feature added in though, I'm sure it'd be really helpful in those times of dire need.

Pandemic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 05:28 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Ford Australia rolling out SYNC across the range

Why say:

Quote:
Despite its impressive functionality, the version of SYNC initially offered by Ford Australia lacks some of the most innovative features of the system fitted by Ford across its cars in North America.
And then say:

Quote:
Ford Australia is currently working on adding a local ‘000 Assist’ feature to its SYNC-equipped vehicles, and could have it ready as early as next year. AppLink is another function missing from Ford Australia’s SYNC program, but one it is also working hard to bring to market in the near future.
Sounds like great tech and should keep the gadget geeks happy, but it seems like Ford can't do anything right in the eyes of some.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 05:36 PM   #3
sprint347dave
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ive been talking to a ford insider and they said the only thing wrong with SYNC is that your voice has to sound like "Sheldon" from "The
Big Bang" for it to work,,
sprint347dave is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #4
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Sweet, I'm really into this stuff when it comes to cars, finally moving forwards.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprint347dave
ive been talking to a ford insider and they said the only thing wrong with SYNC is that your voice has to sound like "Sheldon" from "The
They've been working on it for some time to 'Australianise' it. I.e. recognise the nuances of an Australian accent. This was 2 years ago IIRC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Sweet, I'm really into this stuff when it comes to cars, finally moving forwards.
Provided they resolve all the issues reported in US motoring media with the system, combined with the SUNA traffic channel, it will potentially be a very slick system.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 29-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #6
JPFS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community. 

not an easy implementation and no certainty that we'll see it (the FordNA functions) on local cars.

Requires a lot of localisation of the hardware I would think?
JPFS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 07:19 PM   #7
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

personally I do not like all this "touch screen" stuff.

Ask any 22y/o and they will reminisce about the days when they could type an SMS message without even looking at their phone - you have to look at a touch screen !!
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 07:30 PM   #8
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

So...

Ford Australia invests more money into the localy produced models, bringing the technology in line with global developments.

Jolly good i say!

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 09:24 PM   #9
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

Surely they could get Kinect for Windows working on the Windows Embedded system that Synd uses. No more looking at the screen and having to touch it - you can wave your hands around in gestures and pick the things you want.

Although heaven help all the chicks who get in the car with their friends, forget that they are driving a 2 ton death trap (like my missus does - everything else other than driving seems to be more important), and yabber away non stop with their hands.

Lukeyson
Old 29-08-2012, 09:26 PM   #10
stevz
Banned

http://news.drive.com.au/drive/motor...827-24v4g.html

Quote:
Ford’s button-free cars labelled a mess

August 27, 2012

Consumer Report labels touch-screen technology frustrating and distracting.

Ford’s attempt to rid its cabin of buttons is turning car interiors into a complicated, distracting and frustrating mess, a US buyer interest group has claimed.

Consumer Reports says the MyFord Touch system, introduced in the US and yet to spread to other markets worldwide, ‘‘still frustrates us like few other control systems in any other brand's automobiles’’ and worse still, other car makers including General Motors are starting to copy it.

‘‘MyFord Touch leaves the interiors of fitted models almost completely absent any conventional knobs or buttons,’’ the Consumer Reports review of the technology says.

‘‘Instead, it offers a variety of different ways to enter commands: flush capacitive switches on the centre stack, a big centre touchscreen, steering-wheel controls, and voice commands.

‘‘But none are well designed, and combined they make the cars feel really complicated - especially when trying to perform the most common audio and climate adjustments.’’

According to the group, the more advanced and expensive the MyFord Touch system gets, the worse it is.

In a bizarre step, Consumer Reports praises the base-model system for at least offering two conventional knobs to control audio volume and fan speed.

The touch-sensitive system developed for Ford’s premium Lincoln brand came under particular attack for being too distracting, requiring drivers to look directly at the screen to tap the right spot.

‘‘Once we finally found and pressed the one we wanted, it frequently didn't register or actuated multiple times,’’ the report says.

Other criticisms included the long reach for the driver to make changes on the centrally mounted touch screen, obscured margins of the screen, overly-sensitive touch sensors located too close to others that can upset other settings, and complex digital screens flanking the speedometer.

‘‘Like a computer, MyFord (and MyLincoln) Touch crams a lot of function into a small space,’’ Consumer Reports says.

‘‘The problem is that it's too much like a computer: It works OK statically, but when you're driving it diverts too much attention away from the road.”

The review of the system ends with a pretty nasty sting.

‘‘In the end, our frustration with MyFord Touch has hammered many Ford models’ test scores to a level below our threshold to recommend a model,’’ the report concludes.‘‘In any case, we wouldn't recommend dealing with the frustrations of MyFord Touch on a daily basis even to an adversary.’’

stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 09:30 PM   #11
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Well, you can't have positive a positive report without a bring down...

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #12
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BRING IT ON!!! We keeping saying (me incuded) the current Falcon & territory lacks Technolgy, this will help bridge that gap... Get with the times people!!
Joe5619 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:05 PM   #13
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32
What's this "hiring" you speak of? (tongue in cheek)

Rumor had it a few years ago Falcon would never be exported to the US as our plant could never handle the demand. Could be a load of BS though.
What did they expect was going to happen by getting Microsoft to design it, everything they do is a mess and hard to use.

But they have re-designed it recently to try to fix this complexity.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 10:30 PM   #14
Windsor220
Now Fordless

You would get used to it just like anything. Most new tech takes time to adjust.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 11:31 PM   #15
NX74205
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
FordSYNC does not equal MyFord Touch. They're two different systems.

Like the BMW iDrive system, MyFord Touch is going to take time to get used to. Once Ford irons out the bugs and makes the system simpler and more intuitive to use, it'll be a great system, no doubt.

I for one am extremely glad that Ford Australia are starting to introduce new technology across the range to catch up with the rest of the world. Hopefully the 2014 'FH' Falcon will incorporate not just FordSYNC but all of the latest technology that has made its way into other Ford vehicles globally.
2005 Ford BF Fairmont (2006-2019)
1989 Ford EA Falcon GL (2000-2007)
1982 Ford KA Laser Ghia (1999-2000)
NX74205 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 11:43 PM   #16
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
The Stang I had in the US understood me better then the locals. Don't think it will be a real problem.

Quote:
Funny in the US Cadillac were advertising lack of buttons as a car of the future...they compared it to a tablet.
Old 29-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i`m probably a dinosaur , but i like knobs and buttons, when they bring in a system that allows you to just think of an action and it happens, then i will happily part with knobs. and buttons.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #18
Grunter
Not of the Sooty variety!
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
i`m probably a dinosaur , but i like knobs and buttons, when they bring in a system that allows you to just think of an action and it happens, then i will happily part with knobs. and buttons.
That's not going to be much fun if everytime you drive past a nice looking lady your boot pops open! ;)

Current
The Toy: 2002 AUIII TS50
The Daily and Tow Vehicle: 2016 VW Amarok
Grunter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #19
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
What did they expect was going to happen by getting Microsoft to design it, everything they do is a mess and hard to use.

But they have re-designed it recently to try to fix this complexity.
Did Microsoft design it or did Ford design it and ask Microsoft to assist in building it by using MS' Windows platforms.

I for one am happy to finally see the local range of cars step into the 21st century. Hopefully scalability has been built into these systems catering to the local cars and allowing for user customisations.

Well done Ford, all you need to do is iron out some of the bugs and hopefully it'll be happy days.
Old 30-08-2012, 11:18 AM   #20
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Well, you can't have positive a positive report without a bring down...
Oh boo hoo, do you want a tissue? The article has relevance to this thread so I posted it. What's the big deal?
stevz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 11:26 AM   #21
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Oh boo hoo, do you want a tissue? The article has relevance to this thread so I posted it. What's the big deal?
Perhaps his comment was aimed at the writer of the article, not the person who copy/pasted it into this thread?

very quick to get on the defensive.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 11:54 AM   #22
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hate all this sort of stuff personally, I think it's unnecessary. If you want to look up something on google, get out of the car and use a computer. What concerns me is the longevity of these kind of systems and how costly they are to replace. They will probably crap themselves after 5 years. Give me a conventional setup any day.
Old 30-08-2012, 12:00 PM   #23
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So we have to knock on the dash and say it 3 times
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 12:54 PM   #24
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford_The_Win
I hate all this sort of stuff personally, I think it's unnecessary. If you want to look up something on google, get out of the car and use a computer. What concerns me is the longevity of these kind of systems and how costly they are to replace. They will probably crap themselves after 5 years. Give me a conventional setup any day.
I for one dislike the gadget ****/worship and the premise that a car is therefore crap if it doesnt have certain gadgets, but if it helps sell Fords, then so be it. The other thing is: if consumers in Europe and the US have access to it, why can't Australian car buyers have it too?

Old 30-08-2012, 08:07 PM   #25
4.0i OHC
Computer Torque Control

I'm not thrilled about Microsoft anything in my car, to be honest. However, this will hopefully shut up the people who constantly complain about the Falcon's lack of gadgetry, and add a few sales in the process. Please make it a delete option, though. I never complain about the lack of 'fruit' in Ford's locally produced cars, but Ford's inflexibility in how you can specify their cars drives me up the wall.
4.0i OHC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 08:53 PM   #26
Buntz
Straight Eight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
Did Microsoft design it or did Ford design it and ask Microsoft to assist in building it by using MS' Windows platforms.

I for one am happy to finally see the local range of cars step into the 21st century. Hopefully scalability has been built into these systems catering to the local cars and allowing for user customisations.

Well done Ford, all you need to do is iron out some of the bugs and hopefully it'll be happy days.
Microsoft wrote the MyFord Touch OS.With calibration from Ford for the UI.

It does have problems, but the system promises much. Probably too much.

There needs to be screen just above the dials with menu controls on the wheel. With simple on/off features. But then again, it's easy to sit back and say it needs this and that, when you're not actually there as a developer.
Old 04-09-2012, 09:00 PM   #27
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

So is the problem with Windows or Gates Lol...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2012, 09:48 PM   #28
Buntz
Straight Eight

Microsoft make great products. Still the number one in Information Technology.

I think it's just they missed the design brief.