Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-08-2012, 12:09 PM   #1
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Insurance WTFs

Just thought i'd share a bit of a "WTF" on my latest insurace renewal.

Start from the beginning, I bought my 06' BF egas Futura wagon in August 10' for $10k. When arranging insurance with NRMA I organised an agreed value of (from memory) $12k, which was infact at the low end of the market value.
Reasons being, it lowered my premium (over costs of "market value" insurance) AND I felt a $12k payout if there was a total loss was more than fair, seeing I only paid $10k.

Anyway, come renewal time in 2011, agreed value through depreciation had dropped to $10,900. Premium $674.26, Still fair, So I renewed as normal.

Now here comes my 2012 renewal, $632.49 premium (I was surprised it actually dropped!) but realised my basic excess had risen from $600 to $650, and the new agreed value through depreciation was only $8,550, which I wasn't too happy about.
Did my car really drop in value by $2350 in one year? Maybe.

So I call up to ask about the value of the car, to which they answer depreciation. I then ask what market value currently is, and it is $9-$12k depending on kms, condition, extras etc etc.

So now I changed to market value, premium dropped from $632.49 to $625.93, and my car is insured at a minimum (by todays rate) $450 more.
Considering my car is one of the nicer examples, and kms arent THAT high, its probably worth more than the $9k minimum.

Just a reminder to check your renewals!

mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 12:14 PM   #2
ravenhard

Default Re: Insurance WTFs

the problem you have with the market value is it not going to be a guarenteed $9k-$12k. It could be lower. While they say it might be between $9-12 now, in 11 months time if its a write off it maybe less than $8k depending on the market.

I always prefer an agreed value for this reason, I know all year what I woild be getting, not some random number some insurance valuer will give you
ravenhard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 12:42 PM   #3
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Last time I renewed my insurance, my premium dropped by 500 dollars for a year. MY agreed value only dropped 1500 or so.
Old 27-08-2012, 01:31 PM   #4
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhard
the problem you have with the market value is it not going to be a guarenteed $9k-$12k. It could be lower. While they say it might be between $9-12 now, in 11 months time if its a write off it maybe less than $8k depending on the market.

I always prefer an agreed value for this reason, I know all year what I woild be getting, not some random number some insurance valuer will give you
Exactly.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
superfly
Go the Hogster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenhard

If it's a new car though, most companies will replace the car with a brand new one if it's written off in the first couple of years.

I have this on my XR50, so I've just got market value. Premium is $516, $500 excess.
Old 27-08-2012, 01:47 PM   #6
Cheese3
The BEST Falcon is the AU

HERE IS A FUNNY STORY

Well i had my T3 insured for 32k last year with RACV, it went to personal lock up so i didn't insure it. I went to inure it last week full compo an agreed an they wont go higher than 16k . . . I asked them to take 16k and try and buy a T3 . . .
Cheese3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 07:16 AM   #7
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Through a few enquiries with GIO recently, I have found that their insurance quote on
a 3 year old FG XR6T is more expensive than the quote on a brand new one.... WTF.
EB# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Constant helpful advice and step by step guides in easy to understand format with pictures. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kable72
Last time I renewed my insurance, my premium dropped by 500 dollars for a year. MY agreed value only dropped 1500 or so.
Which insurer ? Every year my premium goes up and the value goes down !
Old 28-08-2012, 09:01 AM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

To all insurance companies 99% of their customers are just a name and policy number on a database....

EVERY time insurance comes up for renewal, I shop around online for the best deal... With 3 cars per year you can save many hundreds of dollars over the generic renewal figure.

Don't forget there are the mobs who will "beat the larger players by $100", or "give you $50" if they can't. Even if you don't want to deal with the discount players, you can use them as a bargaining tool with your preferred insurer.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 09:46 AM   #10
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

No one ever gets the $50 if they can't match your quote!!

Though if anyone has, I'd like to hear it.
Old 28-08-2012, 10:42 AM   #11
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
No one ever gets the $50 if they can't match your quote!!

Though if anyone has, I'd like to hear it.
Of course, it's a marketing ploy. I think very few people would ever get the $50, unless you have a premuim that is several hundred dollars below their price and they simply can't match it.

So, they 'beat' your quote by $1 and hey presto, no $50.

But, as I said, you would use it as a bargaining chip when getting the best price. I have saved a few hundred for 1 premium simply by saying that I'm holding my renewal from company XY and I need a good financial reason to give you my business....

Many larger purchase prices are negotiated in the same way, insurance is no different.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 07:25 PM   #12
BPXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EB92
Which insurer ? Every year my premium goes up and the value goes down !
Shannons by any chance? They've gotten stupidly expensive recently.
BPXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #13
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Agreed value is agreed value.

Best edvise is to dump NRMA, they are evil, jesus could not save them.

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 08:20 PM   #14
creative
I am Batman

I was pleasently suprised with my renewal again this year.

Im with shannons, policy came down to about $600 give or take F/c with all the bells.

Moved area and was expecting a hike and got a reduction. Informed them of the rebuild increased my agreed value to $24k and it was still less... Happy all round!
creative is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #15
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well had some clueless european driver kangaroo hopping and locking up at a green light, does it again the moment I take off and he's already reversing the moment I slam the brakes on and we hit. If the idiot didn't reverse I would've been a victim of the behind law and being at fault, despite what I could only decipher as him intentionally trying to commit insurance fraud.

Anyway moving on to the point he decided to deem me at fault to his company anyway, he just paid the excess and got his car fixed and I was uninsured at the time (2 weeks out lol). So HIS insurance company have come after me demanding $4300 in damages to his car. This letter came 4 months exactly after the accident and I had never been previously contacted.

Naturally I told them to get ****** he's lucky I don't pursue damages to my car (only 1 headlight and I had a spare but still). I realise it's the insurance company and not the driver coming after me but they're doing that because this moron deemed me at fault hoping it would all just disappear and he'd keep his A1 rating. They demanded a drawing I told them again I'm not at fault stop wasting my time and ended the call, they said (aggressively) they'd send out the diagram letter, I haven't received it.

Same thing happened to my friend, he was also uninsured but he was at fault, he still told them he wasn't paying and managed to get away with it.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 28-08-2012 at 09:09 PM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #16
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Well had some clueless european driver kangaroo hopping and locking up at a green light, does it again the moment I take off and he's already reversing the moment I slam the brakes on and we hit. If the idiot didn't reverse I would've been a victim of the behind law and being at fault, despite what I could only decipher as him intentionally trying to commit insurance fraud.

Anyway moving on to the point he decided to deem me at fault to his company anyway, he just paid the excess and got his car fixed and I was uninsured at the time (2 weeks out lol). So HIS insurance company have come after me demanding $4300 in damages to his car. This letter came 4 months exactly after the accident and I had never been previously contacted.

Naturally I told them to get ****** he's lucky I don't pursue damages to my car (only 1 headlight and I had a spare but still). I realise it's the insurance company and not the driver coming after me but they're doing that because this moron deemed me at fault hoping it would all just disappear and he'd keep his A1 rating. They demanded a drawing I told them again I'm not at fault stop wasting my time and ended the call, they said (aggressively) they'd send out the diagram letter, I haven't received it.

Same thing happened to my friend, he was also uninsured but he was at fault, he still told them he wasn't paying and managed to get away with it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by melv1n
I cant see these things holding much value in years to come.
There are always die hards though.
If you think you got away with it. In a years time you will get a letter from a debt collector.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 09:53 PM   #17
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikked
Agreed value is agreed value.

Best edvise is to dump NRMA, they are evil, jesus could not save them.
For what reasons specifically?
I always get quotes from other companies every time my renewal arrives, NRMA is always cheapest. I have many policies with them, so that may be why.

I have made a couple of claims with them, both on building insurance and car insurance and have been happy so far.

Have heard some companies put up so much of a fight to get out of paying, but hasn't been my experience with NRMA.
Old 28-08-2012, 10:02 PM   #18
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I am just amazed the OP pays more for his insurance than I do my new GT-E.
Old 28-08-2012, 10:08 PM   #19
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Age I suppose, I am under 30. And you?

Not to mention I made a claim in 2010 which saw 2 4x4s written off.
I kept my 65% no claim bonus, but premium no doubt went up, which itself I see as another WTF.
Old 28-08-2012, 10:21 PM   #20
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Renewals are issued by computers. They want people to pay blindly. Call them up and get a better deal or find one elsewhere.

One year it was even more expensive and less agreed value than quoted online for a new customer.

I had $400 knocked off, got rating one and agreed value upped on the spot.

All it took was a phone call. Ring up every year and compare it to an online quote as well otherwise you're doing yourself out of money, potentially a lot of it .
MITCHAY is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-08-2012, 10:40 PM   #21
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx
Age I suppose, I am under 30. And you?

Not to mention I made a claim in 2010 which saw 2 4x4s written off.
I kept my 65% no claim bonus, but premium no doubt went up, which itself I see as another WTF.
39. But I do up the excess to keep premium down. I have saved enough by doing that over the last few years to pay the excess three times over if I needed to.
Old 29-08-2012, 04:55 AM   #22
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by xisled
If you think you got away with it. In a years time you will get a letter from a debt collector.
pfffft I'm not one of the sheep, you'll have to find another way to intimidate me into paying the big companies, if you actually read my post you'd be aware it's my friend who was at fault not me and he has his reasons. As for my situation I wasn't at fault but they went ahead assuming I was and didn't consult me, went ahead and repaired his car. I'm quite aware of where I stand as I have had legal advice regarding it .

I'm annoyed I wasn't insured when it happened but at the same time it ****** me off that I have to pay one company to get another company off my back when infact the other company has no right whatsoever to even be harassing me in the first place.

Let's make one thing clear, these companies are not the law, they are agencies looking out of their clients, and don't they have no right to bill you for damages for other peoples property when it's not you're fault, and even if it is they don't have the authority. It's a civil matter and has to go through court, agencies are not authorities no matter how much you want to try and scare people into thinking so.

Last edited by ILLaViTaR; 29-08-2012 at 05:22 AM.
ILLaViTaR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 05:21 AM   #23
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh and 2 years ago someone ran up my **** uninsured (tailgating), was a cracked out bogan, AND HE GOT AWAY WITH IT. My god he must be like the first person in the universe to escape debt I've heard EVERYONE pays up or they go to jail and are very bad people.
Old 29-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #24
EB#
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPXR6T
Shannons by any chance? They've gotten stupidly expensive recently.
No, currently with GIO. I switched from being a long term NRMA customer
a couple of years ago after their premium jumped up by $250. I am also
somewhat limited for provider options, as my car is modified.

And for the thread generally, here's another 2xWTF's:

On a couple of occasions, I've been through the entire on-line quote system, then
received a final message to 'contact by phone for the premium figure'. I ring
up, wait and wait, and they tell me 'we can't insure a modified car', and I say,
'why not tell me that at the start of the on-line process?' WTF.

I did the YOUI quote a while back and spoke to some joker on the phone that
actually said he was 'genuinely excited' about the quote he was about to
give me on my insurance and how much money I was about to save... !!
His quote was twice what I was already paying. WTF.
Old 29-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #25
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
Oh and 2 years ago someone ran up my **** uninsured (tailgating), was a cracked out bogan, AND HE GOT AWAY WITH IT. My god he must be like the first person in the universe to escape debt I've heard EVERYONE pays up or they go to jail and are very bad people.
Sad thing is that today people are not responsible for their actions and/or DGAF so so a lot of the time the innocent part has to wear the cost.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-08-2012, 02:17 PM   #26
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Sad thing is that today people are not responsible for their actions and/or DGAF so so a lot of the time the innocent part has to wear the cost.
Unfortunately so, not to mention it puts the insurance premiums up, lucky only my headlight shattered and I had a spare. When I got rear ended though by the nutter there was a bit of damaged I only had 3rd party at the time, thought I was stuffed, aami actually covered me up to 3k in damages thank god if I was hit by an uninsured drover, despite only being 3rd party. Was bloody lucky on that one!