Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-02-2012, 09:11 PM   #61
schultzie
Just Images

Default Re: Car Trailer Advise

Well i know im bringing up an older thread but i have finally got my Running gear. I flipped the trailer over using a sheave on the tree and the winch on the lux to make life easy. Tomorrow morning i will pack the bearings, and fit the hubs, then put the outer on my storage box that is at the rear of the trailer.

I take it there is no polarity on the breaks as the wires are all the same colour....

Will also be picking up the new wheels off elks and hope to god that the maths i did means they will fit.

rego is monday the 13th of feb FINALLY
Old 03-02-2012, 11:35 PM   #62
KRL-94

awesome progress shultzie. dads trailer is 28yo and its just been finished being repaired for the 4th time. i did it this time tho but ran into a few problems. dad wanted ford rims. i couldnt get wheel nuts anywhere to suite the wheel/hub combo (ford rims/valiant hubs), so i decided to go ford hubs all round. long story short, had some hub spacing problems but old wheel bearing fixed that and spacers on the rear wheels make the wheels the same distance from the chassis, so his trailer now runs e - series hubs and mag wheels. i put a new floor on it and painted it. before i did all this no one would dare touch it. it looked like *****. just gottta keep an eye on it tho. good work and keep us updated.
kole
KRL-94 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #63
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I was restoring my car trailer - every one kept telling me to switch to light truck tyres as they last longer and especially on a dually, don't overheat as much.
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #64
KRL-94

that sounds about right. never tested it tho.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447916
Old 04-02-2012, 12:19 AM   #65
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Downside of light truck tyres on my tralier was the higher profile raised the ride height and screwed up my ramp loading angle
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #66
KRL-94

i used the car ramps with the trailer ramps on the 4th or 5th bar up so its not an instant climb and the car ramps are the same height as the trailer.

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11447916
Old 05-02-2012, 08:42 PM   #67
schultzie
Just Images

it currently has lite truck tires on it... they tow great, because they are narrow they are efficient and under electric braking they will last longer than a similar car tire and it is a shame they look **** house.... but these jelly beans are going to Look grouse and finish the trailer off nicely.... but for the fact the trailer will get used at work more then with a car on it i will see how it goes...

I ran in to a few issues, the axel spread is greater than the eye to eye that was on it and i am going to have to hack up the rear of the guards to allow the back axel set articulation with out scrubbing, also with the jelly beans dummy fitted they are too wide for my guards... so a new set will be the point of call. the car will now also sit further back on the trailer as well... wont know how much further but i think it will only be around 2-4" that is still better for handling

4 wheel electric breaks are awesome went for a spin around the block to bed the brakes in and drifting the trailer on our dirt roads is nuts!!!

In relation to installing the break away unit, i decided to use the tail light circuit to charge the battery, but i had to go from a 10amp fuse in the car to a 15amp fuse.... yes it could over load some thing some where but for what it is worth i feel this gives a greater spread of cars the trailer can be used on.

All that is left to do is put a lid on the tac box i made at the rear for straps, rear number plate light, reflectors and fix the guards and new tires... going to be a busy week
Old 07-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #68
schultzie
Just Images

well what do you think?

if your about to say the tires are too close to the top of the guards then you would be right.... and my ramps wont fit under the trailer....

going to drive the trailer on to 100mm of timber and try loading the ute. if i can still get the ute up i will put the axles below the springs to effectively give the trailer a 75mm lift... that or new guards and put the ramps on the deck.... i will work it out

tires are nankang 215 r14 or 215-85-r14 and are quite tall, but being a light truck tire they will wear really well,

otherwise the trailer is ready for rego on monday....
Old 07-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #69
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Ahh just tub it .. LOL
Looks good !!!
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-02-2012, 11:52 PM   #70
austxr6
Getting Younger Every Day

Schultzie, my son.

Relax you have got it sorted, it will be OK.

If you had no hassles towing to ZB to Melb (And I Know it Went OK) then the set up you have in mind will be COOL.

Relax and enjoy.
austxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post