Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-01-2012, 02:24 AM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Brisbane Tunnel Clem7 operators fine wheelchair woman

Clem7 operators fine wheelchair woman

by: Cayla Dengate From: The Courier-Mail January 14, 2012 12:00AM

A 62-YEAR-OLD paraplegic woman who lives on an island and hasn't driven in three years has been fined for travelling through the Clem7 on her motorised wheelchair.

Jean Gordon of Macleay Island was shocked to find an invoice for a trip through the Brisbane tollway in last Friday's mail as she hadn't driven a car since December 2008 long before the tollway opened.

"When I had a spinal injury a couple of years ago, obviously I had to sell my car so it took me two or three goes to work out what the Clem 7 fine was for,'' she said.

"Eventually I realised (the infringement notice) matched my wheelchair's registration.''

Ms Gordon insists she's no two-wheeled hoon.

"I'd never drive my wheelchair through the tunnel I value my life too much.''

She said the story had become an online hit among the Macleay Island community where she lives and works as a business consultant. ``A friend put it on Facebook and everybody seemed to think it was just absurd,'' she said.

"The likelihood of me zooming through the Clem7 is so very remote.''

A spokeswoman for Clem7 owner RiverCity Motorway Group said the fine had been retracted.

"A human error was made when processing the licence plate for this trip, which resulted in an incorrect toll invoice being generated,'' a spokeswoman said.

"A representative has contacted Jean Gordon and apologised for the error.''

A spokeswoman for Clem7 owner RiverCity Motorway Group refused to say how often people were wrongly charged for using the tollway, saying number plates of all unpaid cars using the toll were read by staff opposed to a computer automated system.

National Information Communications Technology Australia technology manager Abbas Bigdeli said smart computers would soon replace staff for simple reading tasks.

"Human error is common,'' he said. "The global trend is towards Automated Number Plate Recognition software. Old-fashioned systems rely on people but the most mature Automated Number Plate Recognition systems can read the plate, search for the registration and send out the fine it's quick, accurate and cost-effective.''

Old 14-01-2012, 02:28 AM   #2
Nic85
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Brisbane Tunnel Clem7 operators fine wheelchair woman

Bit of a giggle really.

Obviously a mistake. Looks like the lady took it like a champ and got some popularity out of it. Good on her!
Nic85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 08:53 AM   #3
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

She shouldn't have been popping wheelies through the tunnel and she wouldn't have got caught.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2012, 09:12 AM   #4
Rambunctious

It would be funny if it were not so bloody serious.

It appears the operators of Clem 7 send every photo to QT for identification of owner and if QT have difficulty reading the plate in the pic, they simply choose the car they THINK matches the plate and off goes the fine.

It is then up to the nominated person to prove innocence and the Clem 7 is not the only place for problems.

Some time back I noticed my Govia Toll Account debited for a number of Gateway tolls that I did not use, all of them in one lane southbound around 6.30 am so I questioned them.
Odd thing was they were for a car I sold 3 years earlier to my son who had his own tag and after lengthy questioning of the lovely lady on the phone, it turned out there were actually a lot of problems with this particular lane camera but no one had bothered to investigate, they simply debited the last known tag to that vehicle.
Rambunctious is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post