Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #31
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How far do speedlimits need to be reduced to protect pedestrians?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
As the road told remains unchanged in 3 years, whatever they are doing isn't working.
One of the deaths last year was a 5 year old who was struck by a car doin 10kph!

Only one thing needs to happen. Training. Pure and simple.
Teach drivers to pay more attention and drive properly.
Teach kids from kinder or at least prep on how to cross the road and what to look for.
The road toll per population % is dropping quicker than a new cars value
Yes the toll rises,but add into the mix thousands more motorists on the road per year (QLD had a population boost of over 10,000 a month for a while) and maybe a few extra deaths , its really dropping
Young babies are getting killed in the driveways,some cars not even doin a K per hour,thats not even on a road,in the drive
Teaching and or training better drivers is the answer,but it doesnt generate revenue so it just wont happen
Just like increasing fines, impounding cars,squashing cars for some they dont learn

You cant teach stupidity
Cull the gene pool
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 09:53 AM   #32
The Monty
Just slidin'

Pedestrians at fault in 33 of 50 fatalities

So 66% of the accidents are the pedestrians fault, so we punish the drivers with lower speed limits.

2011 288*
2010 288
2009 290
2008 303
2007 332
2006 337
2005 346
2004 343
2003 330
2002 397
2001 444

The toll has fallen considerably, about 35%, yet the population in Victoria rose by 9.9% between 2005 and 2010.

Sooo, the pedestrians are at fault, and the toll is falling, and the population is increasing, yet we continue to whinge about the road toll due to retard people who cant walk.
I say its Darwins theory at its finest.
Old 03-01-2012, 10:30 AM   #33
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lowering the speed limit wont help old people are fragile this is why they die when hit. lower speed wont change this much the ones that get hit and live will be so badly hurt they will probably wish they were dead.this is a sad fact of life and growing old
davenl5l is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 PM   #34
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 XC
The road toll per population % is dropping quicker than a new cars value
Yes the toll rises,but add into the mix thousands more motorists on the road per year (QLD had a population boost of over 10,000 a month for a while) and maybe a few extra deaths , its really dropping
Young babies are getting killed in the driveways,some cars not even doin a K per hour,thats not even on a road,in the drive
Teaching and or training better drivers is the answer,but it doesnt generate revenue so it just wont happen
Just like increasing fines, impounding cars,squashing cars for some they dont learn

You cant teach stupidity
Cull the gene pool
I see where you are coming from, but cars are getting safer and 'safety' camera's (at least in Vic) are popping up every year.
Yet we have seen a decrease of 15 in four years.

I see more people doing stupid and illgal things in a day than I do speeders.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:44 PM   #35
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPArKy_Dave
are you taking the p*ss here??... 'Giant Cranium'....

or is it just a co-incidence.
na mate 100 percent legit.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 03:49 PM   #36
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Are kids even told crossing roads is dangerous these days?!
Roads are for cars, thats what I tell ours, they are not for walking on, and when you do, you be very careful and get off asap.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #37
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sizey
Something interesting for you all. (And I bet this is revenue related too however still interesting to see) Adelaide city council wants the CBD to become 40km/h so it is safer for pedestrians however SAPOL has been having massive blitzes nabbing pedestrians for Jwalking, taking too long too cross the road and not using the lights when nearby.

You tell me what is wanted to do? One party is almost condoning pedestrians on the road and another is shunning them. Last time I checked, the road is for cars and someone would be in alot of trouble if they drove on the footpath so as minimal pedestrian traffic on the roads as possible is good.

Lets assume ALL drivers are complacent and keep pedestrians from the road as much as possible for their own safety.

In saying this, Hindley street in Adelaide CBD at night is a pedestrian run street. As is Jetty Rd Glenelg 24/7. It is almost an unwritten law that people can stroll out and not look and everyone will stop for them because it is the nature of the street.
there are idiots all over town really. your doing the speed limit though town and someone decides to casually walk across the road KNOWING you are coming! they even make eye contact!
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 06:14 PM   #38
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Pedestrians at fault in 33 of 50 fatalities

So 66% of the accidents are the pedestrians fault, so we punish the drivers with lower speed limits.

2011 288*
2010 288
2009 290
2008 303
2007 332
2006 337
2005 346
2004 343
2003 330
2002 397
2001 444

The toll has fallen considerably, about 35%, yet the population in Victoria rose by 9.9% between 2005 and 2010.

Sooo, the pedestrians are at fault, and the toll is falling, and the population is increasing, yet we continue to whinge about the road toll due to retard people who cant walk.
I say its Darwins theory at its finest.
like i said, it's time to fund a independant who will run on a driver platform.
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:01 PM   #39
cupic
Nikon

Soon the fun police will make you walk the car on a tight leash

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM   #40
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Todays effort in the Herald Sun:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...-1226235120782

Quote:
Push for 40km/h limit in city and shopping strips by: Nathan Mawby

THE State Government's road safety agency has called for a 40km/h speed limit in the CBD and busy shopping strips where pedestrians face extra danger from cars.
The Transport Accident Commission push comes after 50 pedestrians were killed in Victoria last year.

John Thompson, senior manager of road safety for the TAC, said reduced speed limits would deliver less casualty crashes in the CBD.

He said it would also be appropriate to look at speed reductions in some shopping strips.

Eric Howard, a former VicRoads road safety manager, said the state was "dragging its feet" and needed to act.

Slashing speed limits around busy suburban shopping strips and the CBDs of Melbourne, Geelong and Ballarat would save lives, he said.

"We are dragging our feet a bit in Victoria and we could get some easy gains and save some people's lives," said Mr Howard who is now co-chair of the 33,900 Australian Road Safety Collaboration - a reference to the number of people killed and seriously injured across the nation in 2010.

"At 50km/h you will probably be killed by a car, at 40 you probably won't. It must be part of making our urban centres better places."

Dr Bruce Corben, of the Monash University Accident Research Centre, said early indications from research into pedestrian road trauma showed shopping strips were dangerous places.

"Shopping strips especially in the inner-city areas, the likes of Richmond and South Yarra and Collingwood, that's where there seems to be a higher number of pedestrian injury-producing events," he said.

Tram stops, public transport hubs and areas frequented by elderly are also areas he believes "will see increased pedestrian trauma".

The Monash centre is exploring links between location and pedestrian fatalities for the last five years for the Department of Justice, TAC and VicRoads.

A spokeswoman for Roads Minister Terry Mulder said he was considering recommendations from a speed zone review by VicRoads.

The review did not consider blanket speeds of 40km/h for areas where pedestrians and vehicles frequently mix, but a spokesman yesterday indicated more variable speed limits around shopping strips were possible.

Harold Scruby, chairman of the Pedestrian Council, said speed limits should be cut to 30km/h in some spots.
My thoughts with reducing the speed limit for the benefit of pedestrians, is that this will only encourage pedestrians to walk in front of cars etc, rather than discourage them, leading to more pedestrians being hit.

The dangers need to be pointed out more via television campaigns aimed at pedestrians, and to parents so they then educate their children that the road is a dangerous place and not where they can play.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 10:38 PM   #41
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Are kids even told crossing roads is dangerous these days?!
At what age should they be taught? When they can walk on their own?
I know of a six year old that doesn't look.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
Roads are for cars, thats what I tell ours, they are not for walking on, and when you do, you be very careful and get off asap.
Good lesson.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 03-01-2012, 11:10 PM   #42
homegrown
hotshot

Ive seen 3 instances were a pedestrian has almost been hit, and all due to lack of concentration from the pedestrian. Its as if they are excused to think because people driving will look out for them.

though the craziest thing happened to me the other day. A couple were arguing on the footpath and and as I drove closer the bloke stepped out on to the road deliberately to try and get hit. Either severlly depressed or just wanted to scare his missus. It scared the crap out me. I didnt hit him. But I couldnt believe it.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:35 PM   #43
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
At what age should they be taught? When they can walk on their own?
I know of a six year old that doesn't look.
you're obviously not a parent otherwise you wouldn't ask that question. you teach your kids the moment they learn to walk and comprehend instructions. you teach them very early on the road is a dangerous place.

if you ask me many issues in society can all be traced back to parenting. just my opinion.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 PM   #44
homegrown
hotshot

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
you're obviously not a parent otherwise you wouldn't ask that question. you teach your kids the moment they learn to walk and comprehend instructions. you teach them very early on the road is a dangerous place.

if you ask me many issues in society can all be traced back to parenting. just my opinion.
Even walking my 2 year old boy in his pusher I ll drum it into his head when we cross the road. Look out for cars Look both ways. I might seem over the top, he wouldnt even know what im talking about but the thought of losing him unnecessarilary would be gut renching.
Old 03-01-2012, 11:57 PM   #45
dylby1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by homegrown
Even walking my 2 year old boy in his pusher I ll drum it into his head when we cross the road. Look out for cars Look both ways. I might seem over the top, he wouldnt even know what im talking about but the thought of losing him unnecessarilary would be gut renching.
Exactly
My son turns 2 on Thursday and he knows that he doesn't go on the road at all unless he's holding my hand.
He also looks left, right, left. He doesn't know what he's looking for but he knows to look. It's a good start haha

1993 Honda VFR750F
dylby1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 12:45 AM   #46
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

An interesting topic, I was at Essendon DFO, a shopping complex and there is only two exits, the majority of the traffic is forced in and out through this road, its divided up into inbound and outbound traffic, two pedestrian crossings to get across both with a gap in the middle to wait.

I was waiting on the pedestrian crossing for cars to let me cross, about 10-15 cars went past without stopping, I was still patiently waiting, then an older lady comes from behind me and says "YOU KNOW YOU HAVE RIGHT OF WAY!" and steps out onto the road while cars are still going past to get them to stop.

I might have right of way, but I'd rather be alive and still waiting on the footpath, than being dead because I walked out in front of traffic because I had "right of way".
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 07:05 AM   #47
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In the dim recesses of my mind, I can still recall going to a little pre-school in Nambour back in 1970 when I was five years old...we used to sing a little song that must have faded ino the mists of time now. It was a simple subject that perhaps kids today could learn, and people in general by any glance at a typical street...
Befroe crossing any road, LOOK LEFT, LOOK RIGHT, LOOK LEFT AGAIN, MORON!

I can't remember the last time I heard anyone use this once-common little saying...

And yes, like the little old lady you mention, I too have stood on a footpath with other people waiting patiently for a gap in the traffic to cross, and seen people just walk straight across in front of cars causing a brief moment of traffic chaos...great way to make new freinds as you and the other sensible people on the footpath look at one another and say "What the hell was that idiot on?"...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 07:22 AM   #48
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:

no I'm not, this is there very reason why I asked. Shouldn't this be pumped into kids in prep?
Old 04-01-2012, 10:16 AM   #49
302 XC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

PARENTING

The whole crust of most issues nowadays is lack of PARENTING

Why should we as a society have to have reversing cameras,have our lifestyle changed,have all the gadgets known to man fitted to everything possible,due to others incompedance

When plain ol commonsense should prevail
302 XC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 10:58 AM   #50
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
An interesting topic, I was at Essendon DFO, a shopping complex and there is only two exits, the majority of the traffic is forced in and out through this road, its divided up into inbound and outbound traffic, two pedestrian crossings to get across both with a gap in the middle to wait.

I was waiting on the pedestrian crossing for cars to let me cross, about 10-15 cars went past without stopping, I was still patiently waiting, then an older lady comes from behind me and says "YOU KNOW YOU HAVE RIGHT OF WAY!" and steps out onto the road while cars are still going past to get them to stop.

I might have right of way, but I'd rather be alive and still waiting on the footpath, than being dead because I walked out in front of traffic because I had "right of way".
If I get left waiting on a zebra crossing by people who "didn't see me", I make sure I give them "the wave of thanks". It's either that or "the finger".

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
In Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 02:30 PM   #51
castellan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think some times they need to be reduced due to the danger of where it is.

I remember when driving south through surfers paradise the speed was 60km/h and people just high tailed it through their and i thought they were morons then. they just don't think of what if.

Saying that i think people driving past schools at 40km/h seam not to pay attention around them and the time enforced limit is abused by some cops busting people when no one is around.
castellan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 05:51 PM   #52
Lightning Strike GT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The right of way on a ped xing is not 100% true - you still have to look out before you step on to the xing - only a complete git would step out right infront of a car when the car is just a few feet from the xing and think it will stop - prime example is the crossing in Queen St Brisbane near the GPO - full of absolute numbnuts with the phones, ipods up to the ear or texting their lunch dates and they just step out infront of buses trucks etc and then give the drivers the one finger salute when they cop a fist full of horn
I think it is called a great missing part of the society today - they calll it COMMON SENSE - have you seen it lately
And an 2019 MD Mondeo Trend Wagon in Platinum White
Lightning Strike GT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 06:32 PM   #53
dom_105
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
"We have seen reductions around schools and around high activity zones, maybe that's another solution," he said.

"It's not Victoria Police's role to provide common sense to people when you're crossing the road, to say, 'Don't look at your mobile phone, make sure you can hear the road'.

"It's probably not a campaign's job to do that either, so maybe we have to look at the speed limit setting of our roads."
I can't believe someone would actually say that.
dom_105 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2012, 06:42 PM   #54
MAD
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
This 1000 times!
What good is that sort of attitude when you're dead?

A car is big and heavy, a person is small and fragile. Which one should check for the other?