Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-09-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
gunner

Default New Ford Focus ECOnetic

I just saw this article on caradvice. These are some seriously impressive numbers. Who needs a hybrid?

http://www.caradvice.com.au/136685/f...ust-2-8l100km/

Quote:
Ford has revealed the new Ford Focus ECOnetic Technology, a super fuel-efficient non-hybrid, ahead of its official 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show debut. The Focus ECOnetic Technology features a 1.6-litre TDCi diesel engine boasting fuel consumption figures of just 2.8L/100km.

The new Ford Focus ECOnetic Technology will come in three different engine variants: a 1.0-litre turbocharged three-cylinder EcoBoost; a 1.6-litre turbocharged EcoBoost; and, the most fuel efficient version, a 1.6-litre TDCi Duratorq diesel.

The fuel economy rating of just 2.8L/100km is also paired with an extremely low emissions rating of 89 grams of CO2/km. Ford claims these figures were achieved thanks to a new diesel injection system, a more efficient combustion technique, and an overall reduction in engine component friction.

The new Ford Focus ECOnetic Technology also comes with stop/start technology, smart regenerative braking, and a lean nitrogen oxide trap which allows the engine to run very lean. Engine output is still respectable for an extremely fuel-efficient car, with 1.6-litre TDCi Duratorq rated at 79kW.

Ford will also unveil the Ford Fiesta ECOnetic Technology at the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, offering slightly improved consumption and emissions figures compared with the larger Focus. Ford is claiming the most frugal Fiesta ECOnetic Technology will use just 2.7L/100km and emit 87g CO2/km.

Ford is aiming to release Econetic Technology models throughout the range over the next two years, and predicts that half of Ford consumers in Europe will opt for the new technology once it is in full swing.

For full details on the new range of Ford ECOnetic Technology vehicles, stay tuned for our comprehensive coverage of the 2011 Frankfurt Motor Show, which starts next Tuesday.
gunner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #2
Rodge
Banned

Default Re: New Ford Focus ECOnetic

That's absolutly remarkable, I take my hat off to them, those fuel efficiency figures almost beggar belief !! I hope there's an auto option as heaps of people want that for city driving. Be interesting to see how the 1.6 litre duratorque diesel drives, I suspect it'll be extremly torquey too so could be a brilliant little package.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 02:17 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

They are great figures, can anyone confirm that the advertised L/100 are achieved in the real world? Granted they state ADR figures which is comparable but still, would be interesting to know.
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 02:32 PM   #4
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal
They are great figures, can anyone confirm that the advertised L/100 are achieved in the real world? Granted they state ADR figures which is comparable but still, would be interesting to know.
I too am interested in this.
Whilst I do agree that the figures are more than remarkable, I would like to understand the conditions required to achieve these results.

Does anyone have a current Fiesta ECOnetic? If so have they been able to achieve close to the ADR l/100km figure? How much have they had to change their driving technique to achieve this?
Old 07-09-2011, 02:56 PM   #5
Rodge
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched
I too am interested in this.
Whilst I do agree that the figures are more than remarkable, I would like to understand the conditions required to achieve these results.

Does anyone have a current Fiesta ECOnetic? If so have they been able to achieve close to the ADR l/100km figure? How much have they had to change their driving technique to achieve this?
I think there's one or two of them in the small car section and reports are pretty good. I've always used the rule of thumb of ADR plus 10%, (live in a really hilly area and lots of short trips) and I've got really close to that but for some reason my wife can't get anywhere near the official stat's of 4.6 litres per 100 km's for her hybrid Civic its usually running around 7 litres per 100 km's, more than 50% greater than Honda claim !!! She reports its a good little shopping trolly but basically I reckon with the price premium over a normal Civic all that happens is you pay for more of your fuel up front with the purchase price. I did run some numbers before we bought it and the payback period was 7.5 years.

Sorry...didn't mean to hijeck the thread, this little Focus does look very,very good and could be the replacement for wifey's car in due course. (Full electric cars will be very expensive for some time to come IMHO).

Last edited by Rodge; 07-09-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 03:12 PM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even the current model econetic looks to be a good thing, i did read a review where the econetic actually did a little better than stated figures, but like anything it probably comes back to the testing conditions.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:03 PM   #7
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

That is just astounding. Unbelievably good figures.
2.8L/100km for the Ford Focus and 2.7L/100km for the Ford Fiesta.

If i hadn't read reviews where the current Econetic Fiesta beat it's ADR claim without trying, i wouldn't believe it.

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Awesome figures.... Go EcoTech!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Anyone heard anything on RRP..whats the fiesta eco charge over the others?
Old 08-09-2011, 12:23 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

From what I have read in the Fiesta section ... the guys that live in country Vic in the hilly areas love the little Diesel over the larger petrol model ... pulls like a train through the hills without downchanging ... unlike the petrol model.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 12:26 PM   #11
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Thats diesels in general though, they kill petrol for drive-ability but around the city the closer ratio's of a diesel is annoying.

Bung it in 4th and up and the torque is great.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:26 PM   #12
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
Awesome figures.... Go EcoTech!
"Shoot him!"
"Cut out his tongue!"
"Shoot him, and cut out his tongue! And trim than scraggly beard!"

.... Ecotech is Holden's best ever V6. You mean ECOnetic
Old 08-09-2011, 05:28 PM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lol
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 07:09 PM   #14
GASWAGON
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sorry Falc'man......... it was more a reference to the Eco 'Technology we are seeing now with either Netic, Boost and my favourite the LPi...... No matter which way you look at all of them.....they're all bloody fantastic.

The Boost V6 in the F trucks blew me away with better figures than the V8's and now these little buggers getting 2.8ltrs/per 100..... Unbelievable!
GASWAGON is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM   #15
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_6
Sorry Falc'man......... it was more a reference to the Eco 'Technology we are seeing now with either Netic, Boost and my favourite the LPi...... No matter which way you look at all of them.....they're all bloody fantastic.

The Boost V6 in the F trucks blew me away with better figures than the V8's and now these little buggers getting 2.8ltrs/per 100..... Unbelievable!
haha no apology required
Old 14-09-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
Foobar
Irregular Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner
They've updated the article with this:

UPDATE: Fuel consumption conversion was calculated off US gallon instead of UK gallon. Correct consumption figures are 3.4L/100km, from 83.1mpg. CarAdvice apologises for providing misleading conversion/information.

Still a pretty decent number for that size car.
Foobar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2011, 06:21 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep that is a good figure for sure, and with an old tightass driving it might do even better
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post