Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 21-10-2005, 07:00 PM   #1
Forest Bear

Default 8 Days of ownership. Impressions so far...

My next car will have to be made in Japan or mainland Europe. So far I am really disappointed and regret buying it. My brain said Mazda3 but my heart said Focus. I want my money and old car back.

I've owned it for 8 days and 4 of it has been at the dealer. Its gone back to them 3 times for the same problem. They've had it since Tuesday. After the weekend and the following business days they'll have it in their possession more than me!

Picked it up today (Fri 21) then I gave it back to them an hour later with the same problem. The catalytic converter and exhaust system needs to be replaced...again. I might get it back on Tuesday. A big might too! I've paid thousands for a car I can't drive. Its bloody fantastic.

Its really taken off the gloss. I can't drive it with confidence anymore because my mind is plagued by what else can go wrong with this car.

Forest Bear is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 07:09 PM   #2
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What exactly is the problem ?

It's not related to the dope smoking Sth African assemblers is it...

nothing worse than being unhappy with a new purchase.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 07:18 PM   #3
Forest Bear

Magpie. The engine warning light on the dash keeps coming up. They've replaced the whole exhaust system once already. I picked it up today but the problem returned and gave it back to them a couple of hours later. They said the catalytic converter is ruined by unburnt fuel. Now its sits in the workshop all weekend. Wait for parts on Monday and then they work on it again.
Old 21-10-2005, 08:36 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

are they giving you a car while yours is off the road? If so then its not such a huge deal, it sucks and shouldn't happen but try and not let one fault ruin it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 08:45 PM   #5
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I know it maybe annoying for you mate, but if your dealer is doing everything right by you and trying to rectify the problem, you just have to hang in there, all vehicle's are prone to trouble's, as long as the problem is beeing sorted, hope all goes well.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 09:53 PM   #6
New2Focus
LS LX Aficionado

My sympathies. I know where you're coming from - I went through the same head/heart 3/Focus decision, and seriously questioned my decision when things were repeatedly not fixed. Having everyone at work asking "How come you caught the bus again today? Where's your new car?" merely adds to the depression.

If it's any consolation, such things are now a fading memory for me. Hang in there, and the rewards will come.
New2Focus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 04:33 AM   #7
Forest Bear

The dealer's been pretty good. I got a loan car since Tuesday. A BA MkII XT falcon. They topped it up to a full tank today. Its a good drive but its got no spunk.

I know they're doing all they can and its probably stuffing them up as much as me. A brand new car with about 230km clicked and three times the problem reoccuring is pretty appalling though. I just want my girl back and working properly.
Old 22-10-2005, 04:37 AM   #8
Forest Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxy xr8
all vehicle's are prone to trouble's
Maybe I was lucky but my old 2001 Astra never had a single problem. Made in Antwerp, Belgium.
Old 22-10-2005, 08:35 AM   #9
losfp

Sorry to hear about that, Forest Bear. Our new Focus goes in for its 3k service this morning, and we have not had one problem with it. I think the main problem is the variable range of quality control. You might get a car that is flawless, or you might get one with niggling problems, or you might get one that has to spend more time at the dealers' than in your possession. And you can't tell until you take delivery, which sucks, rather.

Hang in there, I hope in a few weeks, this will all be just an unpleasant memory.
losfp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 07:45 PM   #10
Forest Bear

Okay. I'm a happy camper again!

I got surprise call from the dealer today and they really have fixed up the car. I can feel it too. It really goes now.

I was suppose to get it next week but they must've worked their butt off to get it right to put a smile back on my face.

All is well. The alarm is installed. The scuff plates look fab and adds a bit of class. The CD players can play CDR and CDRWs.

I'm happy now!!! :
Old 22-10-2005, 08:27 PM   #11
rider007

Hey Forest Bear I'm a happy camper to. I picked up my Zetec today and it goes like the clappers. . May I ask what brand of alarm you got ? and who installed it ?.
rider007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 08:31 PM   #12
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

That's great FB, hope you have trouble free motoring from now on.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 09:50 PM   #13
Forest Bear

Galaxy, thanks mate. I hope so too. I can't wait to put Optimax in it when the tank is empty and take it for a long ride.

Rider. I got the alarm installed at the dealer as an upgrade alarm. $650. Shocker but I didn't want any warranty hassles and didn't want to risk somebody not familiar with Focus to screw things up. The manual cover says "M1 Car alarms". Its a MING.

Get the scuff plates! They are worth it cos the paint on the sil is quite vulnerable and they look fab too.

Last edited by Forest Bear; 22-10-2005 at 10:05 PM.
Old 23-10-2005, 10:00 AM   #14
rider007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest Bear
Galaxy, thanks mate. I hope so too. I can't wait to put Optimax in it when the tank is empty and take it for a long ride.

Rider. I got the alarm installed at the dealer as an upgrade alarm. $650. Shocker but I didn't want any warranty hassles and didn't want to risk somebody not familiar with Focus to screw things up. The manual cover says "M1 Car alarms". Its a MING.

Get the scuff plates! They are worth it cos the paint on the sil is quite vulnerable and they look fab too.
I have got the Scuff plates and also the handbrake cover . Coaxed the dealer into throwing them in for free. Also got dash mat and carpet matts with the focus logo. I didn't want the dash matt so I'm going to sell it in any LS owners are interested.
rider007 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post