Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation New Focus No Turbo!!!

Ford reveals Focus engine line-up for Australia - but clever new EcoBoost engine is absent.

Ford's next-generation Focus small car will go on sale in Australia next August without the new model's most advanced engine.

The high-tech 'EcoBoost' 1.6-litre turbocharged engine - which produces 135kW of power and 270Nm of torque while sipping only 5.0L/100km - has been left off the list for Australia, along with the attractive station wagon variant.

It means the new Focus will go up against rivals such as the Volkswagen Golf and Holden Cruze that offer effective small-capacity turbo petrol engines.

Instead, Ford Australia this week confirmed the new Focus will be offered locally with a choice of four-door sedan or five-door hatchback body styles, and three engines, including a new 2.0-litre direct injection petrol unit producing an estimated 120kW of power and 200Nm of torque, with consumption estimated to be less than 8.0L/100km (based on the US model's figures). Transmission choices are a five-speed manual or six-speed 'Powershift' dual-clutch automatic transmission.

Other engines include an updated version of the existing 2.0-litre turbo diesel which is expected to produce 120kW/350Nm (up from the current diesel's 100kW/320Nm output), with consumption to dip even lower than the current oil-burner's 5.9L/100km. Gearboxes include a six-speed manual and optional Powershift transmission. The third choice is an efficiency-focused 1.6-litre petrol engine - similar to the one used in the smaller Fiesta city car - which is expected to return a consumption figure of less than 7.0L/100km.

Ford Australia spokesman Justin Lacy says the EcoBoost engine - which has received rave reviews in Europe - may come at a later date, and says the wagon version could be considered if there is demand.

Ford says there will be a number of trim levels available, including the range-topping Titanium badge for the first time on a Focus. According to the company, the top-end offering will "offer luxury levels of convenience and comfort that will please buyers shifting from larger and luxury-class vehicles".

The front-wheel-drive Focus will feature a clever new torque vectoring system that is designed to aid front-end traction and is said to give the car a sportier feel.

Details of what technologies will be available inside the new Focus haven't yet been made public, though clever touches such as a WiFi hotspot and Bluetooth and iPod connectivity are expected.

Pricing for the next-gen Focus is likely to be revealed around June, with Ford Australia saying the new model isn't likely to see significant change in either direction.

Australia's Focus supply will initially come from Europe but is expected to switch to the cheaper manufacturing source of Thailand.

My comment ..FORD again, miscalculate!!! Why cann't FORD read the market?????????????

Last edited by csv8; 08-06-2011 at 11:48 AM.
csv8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: New Focus No Turbo!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8
My comment ..FORD again, miscalculate!!! Why cann't FORD read the market?????????????
Please explain what Ford has 'miscalculated' and why they haven't read the market - the TDCi motor quite clearly has excellent fuel consumption almost equal to the Ecoboost and it is small capacity TD motors that have resonated with the buyers. Just because Holden do something, doesn't mean to say Ford should blindly follow. Will Ecoboost sell better than diesel? Unlikely, and Ford have quite clearly said that it could come anyway for those who are obsessed with Ecoboost.

But it is a Drive article after all, and I notice they have done a pretty good job at turning a a good news story (release of an hotly anticipated new car) into a negative nancy article.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:13 PM   #3
R-Design
Guess Who's Back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
But it is a Drive article after all, and I notice they have done a pretty good job at turning a a good news story (release of an hotly anticipated new car) into a negative nancy article.
Darn Tootin!
Old 03-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #4
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Remember the new Focus will initially come from Germany. After the Thai plant is all tooled up for the new model, who knows what model/s we may get.

It would be good to see the petrol 1.6 (Ecoboost), 2.0 petrol and diesel, and the 2.0 (Ecoboost) as the new ST/XR4(?).
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:20 PM   #5
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It will happen eventually with Ford's goal of something like 90% availability for an EcoBoost engine across its entire lineup.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 01:23 PM   #6
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Remember P-platers can't drive the turbo version, and as its more powerful then the 2.0L N/A its probably not eligable for an exemption.

The Focus with the EB engine may not be completely ADR complient at this point in addition to this.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #7
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

I remember a US comparison between the 2.0 DI Focus and the 1.4 DI Turbo Cruze
that was done recently by MotorTrend a very GM friendly publication...]Article here...

In that article, the Focus beat the Cruze in almost every department but because the
new Focus was so refined and had lost some of the steering and road feed back,
the judging panel said the result was too close to call.....

F Me dead, I think we can expect the same type of blubbing from Drive,
everyone knows that the Ford has to be so much better than a GM to
even gain respect of these so called experts.

"Balanced reports" should hit the bin and be replaced by impartial reporting,
what a change that would make not having a GM super salesman in your ear...

Last edited by jpd80; 03-05-2011 at 06:17 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:10 PM   #8
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
I remember a US comparison between the 2.0 DI Focus and the 1.4 DI Turbo Cruze
that was done recently by AutoTrend a very GM friendly publication.

In that article, the Focus beat the Cruze in almost every department but because the
new Focus was so refined and had lost some of the steering and road feed back,
the judging panel said the result was too close to call.....

F Me dead, I think we can expect the same type of blubbing from Drive,
everyone knows that the Ford has to be so much better than a GM to
even gain respect of these so called experts.

"Balanced reports" should hit the bin and be replaced by impartial reporting,
what a change that would make not having a GM super salesman in your ear...

The comparo is in the new 2011 focus thread in the focus section.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Thats what the ST is for.
Old 03-05-2011, 06:22 PM   #10
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
The comparo is in the new 2011 focus thread in the focus section.
Thanks and yeah I know, I added the link up here just so people don't have to thread jump.

------------------------------------------------------------

The point I'm making is that Focus Titanium will be a great car even with the 2.0DI engine.
Sure, the 1.6 Ecoboost engine would be better but it's not essential at the moment
and as said above, the 2.0 ST or XR4T or whatever Ford chose to call it will be streets
ahead of anything Holden has.

Focus also has a great line of fuel efficient diesel versions and the Prius beating Econetic is on its way....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 06:26 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I'm thinking about seeing how much I get for trade-in on my TDCI LV for a TDCI Gen III Focus.

But I have to get rid of my driving lights and replace the front lower grille before I attempt a trade-in price.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #12
Luke Plaizier
Lukeyson
Donating Member1

That's just Drive looking for the first negative they can find and making it a headline.

Lukeyson