Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-04-2011, 01:27 PM   #1
xp_wannabe

Default Replacing rear wheel bearings in AU2 XR6 Ute

G'day fellas,

you might have seen a few threads here and there on my ute, and the noisy diff it has.

I want to try replacing the rear wheel (axle?) bearings and see if it makes it any better.

As far as I can tell it goes something like this:

1. Remove wheels and brakes (calipers and discs)
2. Remove axles (turn the disc around on the hub and tap them out with a hammer)
3. Remove bearings (slide hammer)
4. Reverse above with new bearings.

I have read that i'll need a slide hammer to get the bearings out, any tips on this? is there a certain type or size of slide hammer ill need?

Are there any other tips and tricks?

What needs greasing etc and what grease should i use?

Should I drop the oil out of the diff first or is the centre sealed off from the axles?

Thanks, Mark

xp_wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-04-2011, 07:33 PM   #2
Beer Baron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Replacing rear wheel bearings in AU2 XR6 Ute

I used a grinder, A chisel and a hammer. Cut the bearing off and cut the inner race a tiny bit then smash it with a chisel.

Some oil may come out but not too much.

4 bolts hold in the axle behind the hub, Rotate the hub to align the hub hole with the bolt.

I cant remember if they are sealed bearings or not, If they are sealed don't grease them.

I had a pipe long enough to fit over the axle and fit the inner race so i could bash the new bearings on.
Beer Baron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post