Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #1
DaveTE
Back in black

Unhappy Annoying oil leak

I have an oil leak coming from where the dip stick pipe connects with the sump cover. What I am looking for is what could cause it? And how to fix it correctly? Here's a pick of the problem.

Also noticed this bolt sheared off connecting the engine block and the mount. How the hell do I fix that tooVVV

DaveTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 05:27 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Dipstick is the o ring moving from where it should be. Easiest fix is a bit of silastic around it to seal properly.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 05:32 PM   #3
Tickford Kid
Formerly known as TS 50

Pretty sure there is a o-ring on the dipstick tube.
The sheared off bolt, leave it to a professional. If it has sheared flush with the block you will have to drill it dead centre and use a easy out to screw it out. But if has some bolt protruding enough to clamp some vise grips on you might get lucky and undo it.

Dave if I was you I would take it Autotech for the engine mount, Unless you know a good mechanic who has the skills.
BLUEPRINT T3 TS50 #109, MANUAL WITH BREMBOS
Tickford Kid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 05:33 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Get an ezyout for the bolt, and then put a new bolt in.
You can buy the ezyout tool's from a good reputiable tool shop.

Or you could try to drill out the remain's and re-tap, but if it's a hardend bolt which I bet it would be, goodluck.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 05:35 PM   #5
sleeper393

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTE
I have an oil leak coming from where the dip stick pipe connects with the sump cover. What I am looking for is what could cause it? And how to fix it correctly? Here's a pick of the problem.

Also noticed this bolt sheared off connecting the engine block and the mount. How the hell do I fix that tooVVV
the engine mount bolt , is it the bolt head that missing , or where the nut end screws on, if its the bolt head then you need a damn big screw extractor , if the nut end just undo and fit a newie.
123.4 GROUND TEARING RWKW'S , LOL
sleeper393 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
DaveTE
Back in black

Thanks for the response. Bolt head has been sheared of flush.
Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #7
T3man
Banned

Dave I've had plenty of experience with sheared mount bolts. It is very unlikely you will have to drill or use an ezi-out.

Remove the mount from the vehicle - this means removing the starter motor and sway bar and jacking the engine to get working space and clearance.

Once the mount is out of the way you can "work" the bolt out with a pin punch and hammer - patience is needed.

Inspect the mount plate very closely to make sure it isn't warped - the face that mates to the engine block. My experience is that the bolts shear because there were a bad batch of top mount plates that were manufactured warped. A new top plate costs less than $50 from memory.

Replace the mount bolts with the standard ones - do not use high tensile.
T3man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 07:38 PM   #8
MattGTP

Check both bolts on that mount beceause you will fiind there both broken. If they are the original bolts you will probably need to drill out the front one is easy but the rear will require the removal of the steering rack to get a drill in there. Put anti sieze on the new ones and you will get them out easily next time they shear. This is a common problem. Check the TE as mine sheared. If you have not had experience in doing this job then get a shop to do it as it will S#*t you to tears.

Good Luck
MattGTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
DaveTE
Back in black

Thanks to all for your help and input.
Old 01-08-2010, 09:52 PM   #10
DayTE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been invlolved in removing a (two) mount bolt, but it was a fairly painful process. Mainly because it's hard to get in and drill the existing bolt out. Or using easy outs for that matter. But like Matt said, it can ****** you to tears!

Good luck with it though.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:20 PM   #11
J.C.
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dave. Remove the dipstick and replace o'ring. I used a little CATERPILLAR o'ring from my o'ring kit. Clean up the area with solvent and spray down with Electroclean to remove all the oily residue. Lub the o'ring and the area in the sump where the o'ring sits. Slide the dipstick into the sump/oil pan (you may have to gently feed the o'ring in as it may want to pop out of the seal groove on the dipstick. Use a seal pick or small screwdriver to assist).
Once in place, install top mounting bolt etc. Clean up around dipstick and install a small amount of clear silicone around dipstick and sump/oil pan to assist in stopping future leaks.
See those rivets on the side of the sump. They also tend to leak. Clean with solvent and smear silcone evenly around them.
J.C. is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #12
TheSly1

If it has been sheared off flush, get a big nut and put it over the sheared bolt, and get a MIG welder (or even take to exhaust shop or borrow a mates or rent one *like $50 a day

and just weld the nut into the sheared bolt, and then it'll undo no worries use a socket and ratchet
TheSly1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2010, 02:46 PM   #13
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

I've been doing my head in for the past couple of minutes trying to work out what the hell is going on here

then i realised it wasn't an I6
Old 19-03-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
DaveTE
Back in black

Angry @#$%ing Engine mounts

I had a vibration which was getting worse for a while. I replaced the broken engine mount bolts on the leftside a while back but of course the vibration remained. It has got worse of late so I decided to do the harmonic balancer. The good news was the vibration has gone but the bolts I replaced have sheared the heads off them again . Going to do it properly this time. replace all bolts and top engine mount plates(expecting they are the cause).