Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-02-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
tickfrd6

Default SIII xr8 questions

Im looking at buying a series 3 xr8 sedan in the not to distant future and just have a few questions for those that have one.

1: Did all xr8's come with the blue faced tickford cluster?
2: Were all series 3's 220kw's?
3: Also what would be an ideal price to pay for an xr8?

Thanks in advance
Matt

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
tickfrd6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 08:11 PM   #2
AUIIPURSUIT
pursuit ute baby

yes

yes

depends on conditions and features...
Old 10-02-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
tickfrd6

hmmmm reason I ask is because this one doesn't have it so I thought it might be a bit shifty.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...0&D=2002%20xr8

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 10-02-2011, 08:21 PM   #4
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Which one, as your link open's up a page of vehicle's.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 08:26 PM   #5
tickfrd6

Thats strange because I copied it straight from the page. Its the white one for $8500.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 10-02-2011, 08:35 PM   #6
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Does look like a series III and being an '02 model I would say it was but yes it should have the Blue cluster for sure, so not sure what is going on there ?, maybe he changed it out, if so you would have to question the klm's ?.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 08:39 PM   #7
tickfrd6

Is there a way to check the actual K's of the car if he has replaced the cluster because there is another white one on there and it has the same cluster as that

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 10-02-2011, 08:48 PM   #8
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looks a bit rough that one mate maybe keep looking? Interior looks sun damaged and just dolled up for the sale. Looks like bottom of steering column missing also? No momo gear either, and front seat looks more worn than the Km's? To me it looks like its had a hard life, but if its in budget, maybe worth a look? Sometimes you just don't know?

Maybe try looking for a Series II 220kw, (6/01-10/01), there usually a fraction cheaper and in my opinion look brilliant with the full body kit. Had one in liquid silver and been kicking myself ever since i sold it.

Plenty of checks you can do to confirm km also and odometer reading from previous owners and transfers. Cost around $30-40, well worth it.
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 08:56 PM   #9
tickfrd6

Yeh i was spewing about it not having any momo gear as my xr6 has it. Its just a bit to suss for my liking. i think your right i should keep looking. Well i did have another in mind. This Narooma blue one. its exactly like my VCT but with a real engine in it.

http://www.carsales.com.au/all-cars/...l&D=2000%20xr8

if this link doesn't take you straight there its the last one on the page.

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 10-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #10
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfrd6
Is there a way to check the actual K's of the car if he has replaced the cluster because there is another white one on there and it has the same cluster as that
I **think** Ford can tell if the cluster has been changed through tracking of parts numbers but there would be a fair bit involved.

Theyre not hard to change either.
Old 10-02-2011, 09:32 PM   #11
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

without looking i would say police dash, and being white, ex chaser. price is a little tricky 8-15 but most would say you can get a ba xr8 for 15. personally i think au is a better car but older and a matter of opinion. i have au3 xr8, manual,red,110 000,vgc and think it is worth 10ish
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2011, 10:23 PM   #12
tickfrd6

Now i should definitely stay away from it lol. being an ex cop its been thrashed

Future mods:
19" staggered wheels
Clear side indicaters.

That is all
Old 10-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #13
WannabeXP

On the first white car.
Cluster has definately been changed, thats a SI cluster i think.
I have a SII and it has the blue cluster.
for 8,500 i wouldnt expect much
Cheers Jason
05/2000 AUII XR6 5sp|Pacemaker 4480 Competition Headers|Lukey catback|Tickford Azzuro's|Impco LPG Conversion
WannabeXP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 12:08 AM   #14
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The $8500 car appears to be ex-police. I doubt the cluster has been changed for a newer one, but perhaps ask for a pic and see if the speedo increments are in 2km/h instead of 5 - that confirms it as police cluster, then see if it has OPT20 on the compliance plate - this will confirm it as an ex-police car.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #15
Donny
Tickford 220kw Windsor...

Guys, the white 8.5k one is 100% an ex police car.. I contacted the owners about it when I was buying mine.. Has correct Police cluster.
It has been on the market for 12 odd months now.. I initially thought it wasnt sold sooner because contacting the owner back then wasnt terribly straight forward, but reading the updated info on its condition, I can see why it was not sold as none of that was mentioned to me back then and the price was over 10k.. The price drop to 8.5k is very recent. (within the last month or two)

As for their value, I think between 10k and 12k is about right for a decent under 150k klms S3 AU XR8 220. Im absolutly wrapped in mine, and to me its a better car than either the new BA XR or BF2 GT-P I had.
Iv upgraded the sound setup to full premium sound with my own headunit, and that was very easy, changed over to a T series dash which is way easier to read in the day compared to the blue one, specially with sunnies on and will be doing a few other things to make it more personal for me..
I Love the car..

Donny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-02-2011, 10:36 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickfrd6
Im looking at buying a series 3 xr8 sedan in the not to distant future and just have a few questions for those that have one.

1: Did all xr8's come with the blue faced tickford cluster?
2: Were all series 3's 220kw's?
3: Also what would be an ideal price to pay for an xr8?

Thanks in advance
Matt
If you don't mind working on the car yourself, the $8500 one could be good value. Hasn't got too much wrong with it, but I'd get the mechanicals etc inspected by a mechanic before buying, just to make sure radiator is good, no blown gaskets, shocks and bushes are all reasonable, gearbox is good etc. Cop cars are still serviced as per the book, and don't necessarily have as hard a time as some suggest (my old ex-cop XR8 never showed any bad symptoms).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post