Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Default Ultimate motoring tour of Europe.

Just wondering where people would visit if you could plan a tour around visiting some of Europe and the UK's best motoring themed places.
I was thinking of starting in the UK at Brooklands for the museum and whats left of the track.
Then Donington for F1 car heaven.
Balieu for the rare stuff.
Over to Germany for a lap around the Nurburgring.
Stuttgart for the Porsche museum.
Then Milan.
Maybe the F1 race at Monza.
And a day at Maranello for the Ferrari factory and museum.
Might even stop back in Abu Dhabi for Ferrari world.
Any other suggestions?

Old 05-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #2
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

A few I have done or want to....

Monaco - do a lap of the GP track, albeit very slowly

German Autobahns

Swiss tunnels and mountain roads

Milau Viaduct

Arc de Triomphe roundabout in Paris if you dare

Swindon's magic roundabout

Middlesborough transporter bridge

And for where not to drive a car, central London (or any large town really)
Jastel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 09:26 PM   #3
Archilino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont forget the road in romania the top-gear crew did a special on!
Archilino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2010, 10:58 PM   #4
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel
Arc de Triomphe roundabout in Paris if you dare
If you rent a car, the insurance won't cover you for driving around it. Check your agreement!

Quote:
And for where not to drive a car, central London (or any large town really)
Paris and Rome are another 2 to avoid. Florence is one to definitely not drive in too.
Old 06-11-2010, 11:23 AM   #5
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Went through the Arc de Triomphe at 5pm in a bus.
Eleven lanes of cars all trying to get through at once.
Leave that one to the Parisians i think.
IS there some sort of Bugatti museum in France?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:17 AM   #6
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Not sure on museum but if you want to see a Veyron go to Berlin, well it was a couple of years ago now though.
VW dealership on Unter de Linden, main street down from Brandenburg gate.
Has all VW cars on display from Veyron, Bentley etc to Skoda and Golf.

In most large European cities you can see fancy cars on the streets and in dealerships.

Prangs are 50-50 on arc de triomphe roundabout, an accident every 7 minutes, but it is fun getting onto the roundabout and watching everybody (hopefully) stop and let you on, getting off is harder but...
Jastel is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-11-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

Priced up doing an F1 car drive day.
1600 Euro's.
Think i might leave that one on the back burner.
Get to drive one of the Prosts or Bennettons.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:19 AM   #8
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I will be in Geneva next july (well staying in France just over the border) (go every year or 2), and this time am planning on a drive up to the nurburgring!
Will get into germany asap so as not to pay french tolls, and get onto the autobahns. its about 600km to the ring.

I am thinking about doing a lap with the ring taxi, or what do you reckon if its a nice day and i offer free laps to anyone with cool cars willing to take me for laps?!! hehe thats my plan :-)! (22 euros a lap, I could hand over 20~ euro bills to whoever wants them..)

Ring taxi cost 195 euros for a car, but if theres 3 seats, so may be able to hop in with other people..

My brother went there and took a hire Mondeo 1.6 turbo petrol round a few times and hard a great time, no probs. But they say that of course you have no insurance and hire car companies can fine a penalty if they find out you have been driving there! Anyone heard of this?
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-11-2010, 01:17 PM   #9
XRtowcar
Mustang GT mmmmmm......

You can hire someone to take you for laps.
Didn't know that.
Have heard of a bus tour.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
Psi-Pop
on the way to the RSL

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I will be in Geneva next july (well staying in France just over the border) (go every year or 2), and this time am planning on a drive up to the nurburgring!
Will get into germany asap so as not to pay french tolls, and get onto the autobahns. its about 600km to the ring.
If you have a Satnav, tell it to avoid tolls, It will most likely tell you to exit, drive a B road for a few mins and get back on at first exit after the toll booth. We did this on my 6 month Europe Van Tour and it works very well for most of France.

For a good drive hit up the Gross Glockner in the Austrian Alps, great road, is a toll road, well a tourist road but 10 mountains over 3000m and a altitude of 2571m at highest point is awesome view. Just don't take a '99 Transit van as they don't like making more than 4hp at altitude.

Driving up to Tasch in Switzerland is amazing, its the last stop before the Matterhorn, well highest you can take a car anyway. While these aren't car themed you do see of nice cars doing the routes and is somewhere Id visit again, purely for the drive and scenery.
Old 10-11-2010, 12:03 AM   #11
outback_ute
Ute Forum Moderator
Contributing Member

A couple more for you, the Haynes Museum near Sparkford, Somerset (roughly dead south from Bristol just north of Yeovil) is worth a visit. The Bugatti museum mentioned is at Mulhouse in south-east France not far from Basel/Swiss border, probably more Bugattis than the rest of the world combined including 3 Royales.

If you go at the right time of year, look at the Goodwood Revival (early Sep) or Festival of Speed (late Jul), Silverstone Classic (late Aug), plus more good shows & race meetings in Europe.
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #12
Pedro
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgt_doofey
If you rent a car, the insurance won't cover you for driving around it. Check your agreement!

Paris and Rome are another 2 to avoid. Florence is one to definitely not drive in too.

Done all of those, bit of fun really. But the best fun was driving in Morocco where experience in Gemini racing stood me in good stead for the mayhem there. Practically no one has a valid licence so it's a case of the boldest wins. Every round-about becomes gridlocked and lane markers have no meaning. Tourists are continually run over in marked pedestrian crossings because they think drivers are going to stop.... WRONG!

Sorry to highjack thread.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post