Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-08-2010, 09:12 PM   #1
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default GK needs help - clusters

GK and I were just chatting about upgrading a series 2 SR cluster to a series 2 XR cluster and we're wondering if the pinout swaps are the same as for a series 1 Forte to series 1 XR upgrade? Has anyone done this?

Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 09:18 PM   #2
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes this can be done all that needs to be done is get the '3rd' connector as XR cluster and i think high series have 3 plugs on the back. Then you need to change 4 pins or solder them to make the new cluster work.

Here is a link and there are heaps more threads floating around with this info as well.

Cluster wiring

Cheers Rhys

EDIT:

Also, i tried to get the oil pressure sensor unit to work (the gauge rather than a switch) however either due to BEM being only a forte or there being other wiring needing changing it said that i had no oil and was beeping away so i put the old 'switch sender back in. Was a waste of money buying the gauge one.

AU I Forte Sedan - No longer
Toy Car Build
bartsau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:14 PM   #3
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartsau
Here is a link and there are heaps more threads floating around with this info as well.

Cluster wiring

Cheers Rhys

EDIT:

Also, i tried to get the oil pressure sensor unit to work (the gauge rather than a switch) however either due to BEM being only a forte or there being other wiring needing changing it said that i had no oil and was beeping away so i put the old 'switch sender back in. Was a waste of money buying the gauge one.
Ha im famous, glad its helped someone...

as for the oil pressure, im not sure if mine works but its a AU3 and the cluster goes straight up to 5 and doesnt move...ever... both with the forte BEM and now with the AU2 Fairmont Ghia BEM. apparently AU3s all got the proper senser not the switch

Cheers Cam

2015 SZ MkII Ford Territory TS
Aero Blue, RWD Petrol, Standard Sat Nav.

2013 TF Ford Kuga Ambiente
Panther Black, AWD, 6 Speed Auto, 1.6lt ecoBoost Turbo Petrol.

Was
2012 FG Mk2 Ford Falcon XR6
Swift Green,6 Speed Auto, Stock...

2001 AUIII Ford Falcon Forte
Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Gun Metal Grey, Lumpy Straight 6
fourl6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-08-2010, 10:34 PM   #4
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine is an AU3 and i bought the sensor and had it fitted but it wouldn't work so i got the old switch put back in.

Toy Car Build
Old 25-08-2010, 10:52 PM   #5
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Mine is an AU3 and i bought the sensor and had it fitted but it wouldn't work so i got the old switch put back in.
so what exactly is the gauge doing? (with the old switch)

Was

Genuine T2 TS50 bodykit, 18" BF Cobras, Boge and Eibach Suspension and Complete AU2 Fairmont Ghia Interior

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 25-08-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

reads about 5-7?? i think. Same as it did originally. The sensor though was reading 0.

Toy Car Build
Old 25-08-2010, 11:09 PM   #7
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
reads about 5-7?? i think. Same as it did originally. The sensor though was reading 0.
so if mines reading 5 id say i have the switch not the senser...?

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont
Old 26-08-2010, 12:07 AM   #8
bartsau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll have a look what it reads and let you know

Toy Car Build
Old 26-08-2010, 01:57 AM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Hi Guys,

Thanks for those pics Cam, even though done a while ago, I remembered that something like this was done, and JC remembered you did it.

Thanks Rhys for posting up the link.

JC and I had discussed that we figured the pinouts would be the same and were going to done some recon with our clusters, his the XR and mine the SR.

Your pic Cam and experience confirms this, but as always, JC and I will chat again.

I can see that either another plug ala Rhys' idea, or simply the four wires released from the plug, as Cam did, is the go. I reckon we'll just go the four wires if they're long enough to reach the other plug, which they should be considering it's just above.

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2010, 03:35 PM   #10
fourl6
AU Falcon Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Hi Guys,

I can see that either another plug ala Rhys' idea, or simply the four wires released from the plug, as Cam did, is the go. I reckon we'll just go the four wires if they're long enough to reach the other plug, which they should be considering it's just above.

Cheers,

GK
I didn't get a second loom i just squished the end of the plugs a bit tighter so they wouldnt fall of the back of the cluster...

another thing, with the individual door ajar things, mine are now working with the fairmont dash, with both the forte and fairmont BEMs... so im in you shouldnt take much to get them working with a forte dash

Was

1994 EF Ford Fairmont