Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-08-2010, 01:17 AM   #1
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Odd steering problem

i have noticed recently that i have about a mil or two freeplay in the steering wheel, i thought it was the uni joint to rack or maybe the rack itself. however i have now noticed that after about 10 min driving the free play goes away, i mean if i move the wheel the slightest bit i can feel it move the wheels. where as in the first 10 min i can feel nothing a mil either way.

thoughts?

Old 06-08-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

maybe once the rack warms up the metal expands takeing the clearance away from the problem area, 1 mm is`nt very much, if it was mine and i was worried about it, i would probably try the adjustment on the back of the rack, theres a lock nut and hex head if i remember correctly, it just holds the rack rod against the pinion, i put a texta mark on mine for a reference so if i do it too tight and it starts to bind i can put it back the way it was.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 02:30 PM   #3
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

There was a steering rack recall for the AU some years ago. Could this be related? Did yours get done? I believed they welded something on the rack.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

the rack recall was just for the bolts that tie the rack to the crossmember, just every time you do an oilchange swing off the bolts, you'll be fine.

the ford fix was to put a dab of weld on the end of the thread so the rack didn't completely fall off. hopeless, i know.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #5
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

The steering shafts used to go on the cabs at about 300000km
Check the uni joints

Option 2 is tighten the adjuster nut a bit

Option 3 is stuffed tie rods

Option 4 is stuffed rack

At 10 years old it is probably a combination of all of them
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post